Do We All Hate Each Other or Does It Just Sound Like It?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Vendeavor, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Vendeavor

Vendeavor Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It seems amazingly rare to find a thread (on almost ANY forums on the net today) where disputes are handled without ad hominem attacks. Almost any statement one poster makes is not only rigorously disputed by someone who doesn't merely request further clarification, but seems determined to point at the MENTAL DERANGEMENT of the originator of the thought as justification for its lack of substance.

When did DERISION become part and parcel with the QUESTIONING of the posed idea/thought itself?

Why do we seem to believe our "truths" are more "powerful" if we add comments like, "Well, if you weren't such an idiot you'd REALIZE there's no way it could have happened that way!"

Instead of discussing, we attack. Do we really believe this kind of tit for tat is USEFUL? Does it really feel THAT GOOD to BEAT SOMEONE DOWN with "logic" that seems designed to keep them from bringing up another "wind of an idea" again, lest you come at them with even further, deeper-set attacks?

I suspect in truth we are all just very tired and angry about how hard ALL of us have had to work to try to survive in this Circus of Growing Global Insanity, and sick and tired of TRYING to explain ourselves patiently. Things just seem to be going past us so fast we don't think we have the TIME to be reasonably cordial.

I just hate to see the hurt continue from post to post, beating ourselves down instead of just trying to really understand what the other is saying.

Oh well, wishing us all better dialogues, not gushy with insincerity, just a bit more reticent to accuse and berate, just a little more generously laced with respect.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  2. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,463
    Actually, those attacks are the result of people who are comfortable hiding behind a computer screen, because when you have to defend your views in person, it's a much different deal.

Me? If I think you're an idiot on this board because of your views, and I had the chance to hear you spout those same views to me face to face, I'd still call you an idiot, and then provide the proof that you need to correct your thinking.

However.......if I can be shown to be wrong, I'll willingly change my views.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    This goes to explaining some of it:

Consequently, when your beliefs are challenged, even with objective, established facts, you lash out at the person presenting those facts, since you have no factual evidence of your own to respond with.

There’s also a phenomenon on message boards where posters who have participated for an extended period of time become too familiar. Everyone already knows who is a liberal or conservative, everyone’s heard the other’s arguments over and over again, everyone knows everyone’s moves. And that familiarity indeed breeds contempt, manifesting in personal attacks.

Lastly, for some it’s necessary not only to attack the argument but to attack the person making the argument as well. Because your argument is ‘wrong’ the person making the argument must be ‘stupid’ or otherwise intellectually or mentally deficient.

4. BDBoop

BDBoop BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Most of the posts from the RWNJs seem to go on some variation of "Jane, you ignorant slut."

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Punks trying to sound like tough guys.

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    And we were told that Americans don't do irony. :lol::lol:

7. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,423
    [​IMG]

8. BDBoop

BDBoop BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    You idiot.

Better?

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    We must hate anyone who disagrees with our programmed political views!

10. BDBoop

BDBoop BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    rofl!

There's more than a few here who don't agree with some portion of my views, and still manage to treat me with dignity and respect (and vice-versa).

Those are the ones I do not have on ignore.