Do we agree that a fundamental difference between the right and the left is...

The right claims to want less of those things, but they don't practice it.
They can't practice it, because they are pushed by the left (due the leftist antics of using more and more government power inappropriately), to use more and more government power in order to counter the leftist usage of more and more inappropriate government power.
View attachment 289521

I think you leftists need to deal with your own oppression olympics before trying to claim others are acting like victims.

Last edited:
...what the role of government should be in society? Is it accurate to say that left-wing ideology supports more government programs, more government management/oversight and higher taxes wherein right-wing ideology supports having LESS of those things?

That is the talk.

In reality both sides play both sides of the game.

For instance the right has always been comfortable using government authority to regulate personal behavior, and has been very comfortable using government to support industry and other conservative darlings.

They can't practice it, because they are pushed by the left (due the leftist antics of using more and more government power inappropriately), to use more and more government power in order to counter the leftist usage of more and more inappropriate government power.
View attachment 289521

I think you leftists need to deal with your own oppression olympics, before trying to claim others are acting like victims.

Coming from the side that has the perpetual victim President- that is pretty ironic.

I don't need government for that. Men are born with common sense and if we all just used it:
  • Companies would know better than to pollute just to save a buck.
  • People protect themselves. Work safely and don't do unsafe things and don't let unsafe things be done to you. There is always the door.
The problem with government is that more rules lead to more control to do what's right, but government always takes that as just more control to do what's right for government, not you.

I don't see a problem with making a law that says you can't dump raw sewage into our lakes and rivers and then fining and prosecuting those that do. Do you?

No, not in absolute terms! But the problem with laws is that they are absolute, and always assume that anyone who breaks them must be fined, that somehow, the THREAT of a penalty will keep you in order even if your broke the law through no fault of your own due to circumstances beyond your control.

You see, laws are THE ABSENCE OF COMMON SENSE. Lawmakers only pass them to:
  1. Get votes. The law will never apply to them anyway so no need to worry about getting it right.
  2. Saves them trouble. Rather than look at each situation and instance individually as the unique circumstance it is and apply judicious common sense, fairness and reason, the law allows them to save all that and make it a simple GO / NO GO. Did you meet the deadline? No? Bang! You broke the law. No need to intelligently look at the circumstances. Bang the gavel. Pay your $50 as you leave.
For you see, in ALL instances, government always errors in favor of ITSELF.

Some claim to be on the right just like some are Republicans but legislate like leftist Democrats. Still, there are many on the right that oppose government takeover of the health industry and the existence of the Department of Education and government involvement in the student-loan business, etc. Unfortunately, there aren't enough of us.

but these same people have no issue with the DOD getting larger and larger and larger.

Seems the difference is which part of the government they want bigger
Defense is mandated by the Constitution.

The National Endowment for the Arts is not.

Yes, defense is. What we do goes well beyond defense.
The best defense is a good offense. Otherwise you get caught short and your newly-conscripted troops train with wooden rifles. Does WW1 ring a bell?

Yes, I am aware of our deficit. However, there is no political will in Washington or among the people to rein in spending. Cutting spending means cutting programs, and that's a non-starter.

Which kills your idea there is a difference between the right and the left.

Defense spending isn't a social program. Favoring a strong national defense is not akin to favoring massive government programs and spending.

You are correct, they are not the same. But they are both government and they both cost more money than we have. As I said, the difference between the right and the left is what they want to spend the money on, not how much to spend.

Please show me all of the prominent members of "the right" that support nationalizing our nation's healthcare system. I'll wait.

Other than Trump there are none right now. But that will change if Trump wins a 2nd term and submits his version of universal healthcare. Then all you people will say it is the greatest idea since the 10 commandments.
tRump will likely never submit his imaginary healthcare plan, even if he does get a second term.

Some claim to be on the right just like some are Republicans but legislate like leftist Democrats. Still, there are many on the right that oppose government takeover of the health industry and the existence of the Department of Education and government involvement in the student-loan business, etc. Unfortunately, there aren't enough of us.

but these same people have no issue with the DOD getting larger and larger and larger.

The best defense is a good offense. Otherwise you get caught short and your newly-conscripted troops train with wooden rifles. Does WW1 ring a bell?

you continue to make my point for me. The only difference is which parts of the government you want bigger and which parts you want to spend money we do not have on

...what the role of government should be in society? Is it accurate to say that left-wing ideology supports more government programs, more government management/oversight and higher taxes wherein right-wing ideology supports having LESS of those things?
No, this is not what the fundamental difference is. The fundamental difference between lefties and righties is how each side feels about who pays for what. Righties want to pay their own way, lefties want somebody else to pay.

Nope. We wouldn't have the debt we currently do if that were true.

Yes, I am aware of our deficit. However, there is no political will in Washington or among the people to rein in spending. Cutting spending means cutting programs, and that's a non-starter.

Defense spending isn't a social program. Favoring a strong national defense is not akin to favoring massive government programs and spending.

You are correct, they are not the same. But they are both government and they both cost more money than we have. As I said, the difference between the right and the left is what they want to spend the money on, not how much to spend.

Please show me all of the prominent members of "the right" that support nationalizing our nation's healthcare system. I'll wait.

Other than Trump there are none right now. But that will change if Trump wins a 2nd term and submits his version of universal healthcare. Then all you people will say it is the greatest idea since the 10 commandments.
tRump will likely never submit his imaginary healthcare plan, even if he does get a second term.

I think he will, and it will be a form of medicare for all/universal healthcare. He has always supported such a thing and that has not changed now.

And if he does, 75% of these people will still worship the ground he walks on

Exactly. They feed you a bunch of bullshit about how they don't want those things, yet they pass legislation that regulates what you can and can't do with your own body.

Your baby's body is your baby's body, not yours. In any event, please don't hijack my thread. If you want to discuss abortion, start your own.

Wasn't talking about abortion, but nice to see that is the first place you go on that thought. What I'm talking about is legalization of marijuana. It's not a drug, it's a plant, and it is much less harmful than alcohol, as well as is not physically addictive in any way.

And yeah, the conservatives and the Republicans want to pass legislation that messes quite a bit with a person's personal liberties.
Correct.

The right’s unwarranted hostility toward the legalization of marijuana is an example of big government conservativism.
So, obviously, the answer is even more government by leftists.

I think he will, and it will be a form of medicare for all/universal healthcare. He has always supported such a thing and that has not changed now.

This will never happen. Just a other Gator dream of alpha failing, when all he does is win.

Hey gator, have you yet figured out what percentage of the 3rd world immigrants vote for bigger government and how many are on welfare paid by tax dollars?

Better to vote GOP and get candidates who believe in half your views than vote Democrat and get candidates who hate you and everything you believe.

Or if you all got together you could vote in a candidate that matched 75% of your views instead of settling for half.

But you all have been programmed not to do so by the very group you keep voting for.
You can keep your condescending horseshit. I'm not interested.

No, this is not what the fundamental difference is. The fundamental difference between lefties and righties is how each side feels about who pays for what. Righties want to pay their own way, lefties want somebody else to pay.

Now that is funny...in less than 3 years of the "right paying their own way" we have added 3.09 trillion dollars to the debt...which is the opposite of paying your own way,.

Better to vote GOP and get candidates who believe in half your views than vote Democrat and get candidates who hate you and everything you believe.

Or if you all got together you could vote in a candidate that matched 75% of your views instead of settling for half.

But you all have been programmed not to do so by the very group you keep voting for.

sure. that is what you say now.

Yep.

How many leftists have slammed evangelicals for supporting Trump? Are they supposed to support the baby-murdering abortionists of the Godless left?
liberals: conservatives are all stupid and racist

liberals: i just dont understand why more conservatives dont support us

you continue to make my point for me. The only difference is which parts of the government you want bigger and which parts you want to spend money we do not have on
I want our money spent on things mandated by the Constitution. Get rid of everything else.

Nobody worships Trump. He's just a man, not worthy of worship.

And I oppose socialized medicine, no matter who wants it.

sure. that is what you say now.
No, I'm pretty sure I'll always say you can keep your condescending horseshit.

Forum List

Back