Do we agree that a fundamental difference between the right and the left is...

...to characterize what the right supports as "less" government is nonsense.

So you're saying that the right and the left both want the same amount of social programs and taxation? Am I understanding you correctly?

No, the right wants the same amount of spending as the left, they just do not want to pay for it.

The left wants more social programs the right wants more tanks and ships and planes.

In the end the government is bigger and our debt grows even faster.

Are you aware than in the last 365 days we added 1.3 trillion dollars to our deficit...during a booming economy.

Does a primarily red state such as Florida have all of the social programs and taxation that a very blue state, such as California, has?

Wasn't talking about abortion, but nice to see that is the first place you go on that thought. What I'm talking about is legalization of marijuana. It's not a drug, it's a plant, and it is much less harmful than alcohol, as well as is not physically addictive in any way.

And yeah, the conservatives and the Republicans want to pass legislation that messes quite a bit with a person's personal liberties.

I agree with you that supposedly free people should be able to ingest anything they like and should be free to pay another competent, consenting adult for sex. However, my focus with this thread is the amount of government programs, spending and taxation that the left and right want.

Well, there is money that is spent in enforcing those stupid laws, and there is money spent in prosecuting those crimes as well.

By the way, remember when FL wanted to drug test all those that were on welfare? They tried it for a while, but found out that it wasn't really useful as well as cost a whole butt load of money. What was even more interesting was that those on government assistance used illicit substances at a significantly less rate than those that weren't on government assistance.

Does a primarily red state such as Florida have all of the social programs and taxation that a very blue state, such as California, has?

Florida is not a primarily red state.

They went with Obama twice. They are a swing state and it is almost always a very close race

...what the role of government should be in society? Is it accurate to say that left-wing ideology supports more government programs, more government management/oversight and higher taxes wherein right-wing ideology supports having LESS of those things?

No.

TO THE LEFT: Government is a welcome and necessary device to restrain the excesses and wastefulness of mankind. Man NEEDS government in order to maintain order. Government limits and directs man.

TO THE RIGHT: Government is a necessary evil which must be restrained as much as possible to only as much as needed to prevent anarchy, but not so much as to take away freedom and autonomy because man knows best how to run his own life. Man limits and directs government.

Last edited:
No, the right wants the same amount of spending as the left, they just do not want to pay for it.

The left wants more social programs the right wants more tanks and ships and planes.

In the end the government is bigger and our debt grows even faster.

Are you aware than in the last 365 days we added 1.3 trillion dollars to our deficit...during a booming economy.

Yes, I am aware of our deficit. However, there is no political will in Washington or among the people to rein in spending. Cutting spending means cutting programs, and that's a non-starter.

Defense spending isn't a social program. Favoring a strong national defense is not akin to favoring massive government programs and spending.

Please show me all of the prominent members of "the right" that support nationalizing our nation's healthcare system. I'll wait.

...what the role of government should be in society? Is it accurate to say that left-wing ideology supports more government programs, more government management/oversight and higher taxes wherein right-wing ideology supports having LESS of those things?

No.

TO THE LEFT: Government is a welcome and necessary device to restrain the excesses and wastefulness of mankind. Man NEEDS government in order to remain order.

TO THE RIGHT: Government is a necessary evil which must be restrained as much as possible to only as much as needed to prevent anarchy, but not so much as to take away freedom and autonomy because man knows best how to run his own life.

I believe the left feels that government is necessary to protect citizens from the evils of corporations and nefarious individuals. And I agree with them, to a point. After all, that's why we impose business regulations and create police forces.

Yes, I am aware of our deficit. However, there is no political will in Washington or among the people to rein in spending. Cutting spending means cutting programs, and that's a non-starter.

Which kills your idea there is a difference between the right and the left.

Defense spending isn't a social program. Favoring a strong national defense is not akin to favoring massive government programs and spending.

You are correct, they are not the same. But they are both government and they both cost more money than we have. As I said, the difference between the right and the left is what they want to spend the money on, not how much to spend.

Please show me all of the prominent members of "the right" that support nationalizing our nation's healthcare system. I'll wait.

Other than Trump there are none right now. But that will change if Trump wins a 2nd term and submits his version of universal healthcare. Then all you people will say it is the greatest idea since the 10 commandments.

The fundamental difference between conservatives and liberals used to be regarding the size and scope of government.

The fundamental difference between the right and the left today is whether or not people should be allowed to make their own decisions.

Florida is not a primarily red state. They went with Obama twice. They are a swing state and it is almost always a very close race

Statewide, they govern more along conservative lines than does a place like California. No state income tax. If the right typically supports more taxation, then why doesn't Florida impose a state income tax like California, New York, New Jersey, Hawaii, etc.?

heinlein quote want to be controlled.jpg

The fundamental difference between the right and the left today is whether people should be allowed to make their own decisions.

They are not even different in that, the only difference is which decisions they should be allowed to make.

No.

TO THE LEFT: Government is a welcome and necessary device to restrain the excesses and wastefulness of mankind. Man NEEDS government in order to remain order. Government limits ad directs man.

TO THE RIGHT: Government is a necessary evil which must be restrained as much as possible to only as much as needed to prevent anarchy, but not so much as to take away freedom and autonomy because man knows best how to run his own life. Man limits and directs government.
Yep man does know how to run his own life (he should as well as she should if a female), but when you get generations of brainwashed men and women, does anything of sense make any sense anymore ??

The fundamental difference between conservatives and liberals used to be regarding the size and scope of government.

The fundamental difference between the right and the left today is whether or not people should be allowed to make their own decisions.

Examples?

O'rly?

Trump Proposes a Record $4.75 Trillion Budget

The deficit was DECREASING when the GOP took over Congress. Trump and the GOP have since INCREASED the deficit to DOUBLE its size.

And the last time the GOP owned all of Congress and the White House under Bush, they also skyrocketed the deficit and the debt.

You have to be a retard with seven pounds of brain damage to drink the piss you idiots are fed that the GOP is all about small government.

Seriously. You have to be stupid, stupid, stupid.
Imma let you in on an insanely obvious secret:

The GOP is not conservative.

NO.
The right makes lotsa noise about that stuff but doesn't really want it.

What the right wants is control of everyone and everything under the thumb a few wealthy individuals and companies.

The left wants freedom. Freedom to be who they want, freedom to love who they want, freedom from the perils of wealth inequality including but not limited to healthcare, housing, and enough to eat...

You get the picture.

Florida is not a primarily red state. They went with Obama twice. They are a swing state and it is almost always a very close race

Statewide, they govern more along conservative lines than does a place like California. No state income tax. If the right typically supports more taxation, then why doesn't Florida impose a state income tax like California, New York, New Jersey, Hawaii, etc.?

because they can make more than enough money fleecing the tourist.

and as I said, the right does not support taxation, they just support spending money we do not have. Do try and keep up

O'rly?

The deficit was DECREASING when the GOP took over Congress. Trump and the GOP have since INCREASED the deficit to DOUBLE its size.

And the last time the GOP owned all of Congress and the White House under Bush, they also skyrocketed the deficit and the debt.

You have to be a retard with seven pounds of brain damage to drink the piss you idiots are fed that the GOP is all about small government.

yet people claiming to be conservative vote for them every election...weird

O'rly?

That's absolutely correct.

I am a lifelong conservative, which is precisely why I resigned from the GOP after Trump was elected. I should have switched to independent a long time ago.

Forum List

Back