Do Violent Video Games Create Over Aggressive People?

Hey, did you know that the Beatles White album was what Charles Manson thought was speaking to him and was the direct reason why the family murdered Sharon Tate? Now, I realize that millions and millions of people have listened to and enjoyed that album but.. you know... clearly, the majorty must be protected rather than pin murder on the few sick fucks who have OTHER problems to begin with.

Shoot. I guess I can't let my kids hear it. Especially while playing video games.

dammit.. there you go being violent. you played MK2 with the blood code on during the 90s, didnt you?

(im just ribbin' ya, Brian... and, I'm kindof an asshole too so... I'll toast to your efforts tho!)

Shoot.

Ah, you caught me! I should have used shit to throw you off the trail. Can't even tone down curse words these days without worrying about starting a murdering rampage.

I imagine the secret service is a little better at statistics. At least they had some basic evidence to back them up. The shrinks? Just speculation that I've seen so far.

I wouldn't totally discount the apa... it's just that the scapegoat Interpretation is popular right now much like the 80s hypnotherapy was a total disaster for psych professionals. The main flaw in tiptoeing around the accusation of a causal relationship are the millions of people who, by their daily examples, prove otherwise. That, and 20 years later we will be making as much fun of Thompson as we do Pat Pulling and Rona Jaffe and those who insisted that child abuse was a hypnotism away from revealing itself..

Oh, I don't. But by them saying 1,000 studies point overwhelmingly to a casual connection they might just as well be saying maybe.

im still waiting for my adolescent soundtrack to cause me to meet satan or murder someone...

I mean, I had the entire Cannibal Corpse discography.. how in the hell have I never stripped, raped and stranged someone?

There is probably something in what he's claiming. I just don't know how much and I don't know what the personality quirks of those in question do to change the equation. I think knowing the difference between fantasy and reality is probably a huge part of it.

Ok, I had a really good smart ass remark to make, but I've had time to cool off. All I want acknowledged, is that there is significance to the study. (And it's not a bunch of assinine data collected by idiots)

I never claimed that video games should be banned.
I never claimed that it cause aggressiveness in all people.
I never claimed that it was the absoulte truth.

I agree with the conlcusions of the study however both of you chose to interpret my post.

Granted there are thousands of people that don't have abnormally aggressive behavior. Except Shogun of course :razz: .

I think the difference between us and kids today, is that we've seen a time without Nintendo. We learned the difference of "real and not real" at an early age, and then engaged in this type of game play later on in life. Violent game play didn't start until the nineties. The kids today start off playing video games, it's more a part of their lives than it was in the beginning of our lives. IMO--no proof

And it's not a bunch of assinine data collected by idiots

I love to help you out with that, but I haven't actually seen the data. I just see opinion without explanation.

IMO, there might be something to it but it is impossible to know with what you've presented.

Ok, well I see that I can't convince you, so I'll respect that. At least you're firm. Take it easy:eusa_think:

Ok, I had a really good smart ass remark to make, but I've had time to cool off. All I want acknowledged, is that there is significance to the study. (And it's not a bunch of assinine data collected by idiots)

I never claimed that video games should be banned.
I never claimed that it cause aggressiveness in all people.
I never claimed that it was the absoulte truth.

I agree with the conlcusions of the study however both of you chose to interpret my post.

Granted there are thousands of people that don't have abnormally aggressive behavior. Except Shogun of course :razz: .

I think the difference between us and kids today, is that we've seen a time without Nintendo. We learned the difference of "real and not real" at an early age, and then engaged in this type of game play later on in life. Violent game play didn't start until the nineties. The kids today start off playing video games, it's more a part of their lives than it was in the beginning of our lives. IMO--no proof

Hey, if we all played nice then you wouldn't be HALF as quick to rush back here and reply.

and don't get too bent outa shape, dude.. you are one of my favorite new people!

I would retort to your post that, while it is true that your generation may have known life before the nintendo, you probably still had movies and music and books with which to hear the same arguments. May I suggest that you take a look at the Ferlinghetti obscenity trial and the Bruce obscenity trial and consider how ridiculous they are to this generation. I think that, while physical characteristics of the brain will be detectable in ANY behaviour, we must not forget that we are trying to make sweeping statements about the actions of a very small sample of the population. There will always be the fringe ends in the great bell curve of people. Life happens. We cannot predict unpredictable behaviour by restricting all options. Does competition cause aggression? I'd put money on it. Is this specific to video games? I don't think so. I also don't think that the history of similar patterns of group think holds water in hindsight. I've mentioned D&D and Heavy Metal. Are you afraid that a board game and the heavy metal uniform will make a kid shoot up a school?

Ok, well I see that I can't convince you, so I'll respect that. At least you're firm. Take it easy:eusa_think:

No problem. I try to stay reality based.

Now, if you want to start a topic about how American Idol kills brain function I'll agree with you without hesitation.

;)

Hey, if we all played nice then you wouldn't be HALF as quick to rush back here and reply.

and don't get too bent outa shape, dude.. you are one of my favorite new people!

I would retort to your post that, while it is true that your generation may have known life before the nintendo, you probably still had movies and music and books with which to hear the same arguments. May I suggest that you take a look at the Ferlinghetti obscenity trial and the Bruce obscenity trial and consider how ridiculous they are to this generation. I think that, while physical characteristics of the brain will be detectable in ANY behaviour, we must not forget that we are trying to make sweeping statements about the actions of a very small sample of the population. There will always be the fringe ends in the great bell curve of people. Life happens. We cannot predict unpredictable behaviour by restricting all options. Does competition cause aggression? I'd put money on it. Is this specific to video games? I don't think so. I also don't think that the history of similar patterns of group think holds water in hindsight. I've mentioned D&D and Heavy Metal. Are you afraid that a board game and the heavy metal uniform will make a kid shoot up a school?

Lets just hope it isn't discovered that message boarding ups aggression.

LOL...fair enough. American Idol...gadz.

Shog, I'm just as quick tempered as anyone else I guess. I know this message board ups my aggressive tendencies. And you're right about the rushing back to reply.

I sitll have myview on this issue, but like everything, people have different views, that's what pisses us off about each other...ain't it great!?:rofl:

Forum List

Back