do u effing understand what inflation does?

May 21, 2015
if you make 10% on an investment (quite unusual and difficult, over decades, without active involvement and a lot of knowledge) and get taxed say, 35%, counting the 15% for "self employed SS", you really only made 6.5%. Since I started watching inflation in 1970, it has averaged 5% per year. So your "10%" investment REALLY only paid you 1.5%, which aint even CLOSE to being worth risking your money. I won't even look at something that pays an average of less than 20% per year. Because i only clear 13%, really, on a 20% annual return and then I lose 5% to inflation, so 20% really means just 8%, which is quite marginal if i have to tie up much in the way of my money. Fortunately, i found a way to tie up very little money, yet make major returns. If I manage a building myself for the first 6 months, I can usually make 100% on my investment, after paying myself. the national average salary (ie, $25 an hour). I have to so manage the place, for at least that long, so that I"ll know if my assigned manager (thereafter) is messing up or cheating me. Once I start paying a manager, and having property=managment companies CHECK on my properties/managers, my ROI drops to about 25% per year. But it frees me up to not live in that area (year round). I do still have to do inspections and audits of my own, now and then, to keep everyone honest, of course.

You are dropping maintenance and actual depreciation inflation into your return to keep the math simple and that will start eroding your margin of safety quickly. You are looking at a 28% increase in annual costs in just five years and you are renting to idiots who don't have enough sense to buy a large lot beyond the bull dozers and pick up a replined trailer/MH or even a used RV to set a spell. It sounds to me like you are being too optimistic about returns and costs.

Forum List

Back