Do Tweets or other Social Media expressions count?

Should people be held accountable for what they post online?

• Yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I don't want to answer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
Several Harvard students who have been accepted to Harvard but haven't attended class yet had their acceptance to Harvard withdrawn over inappropriate social media posts. Should people be held accountable for what they post online?

Harvard University reportedly pulls 10 student offers over online comments
At least 10 students who were accepted to Harvard University had their admission offers revoked because they made offensive comments online, the university's student newspaper reported.

The Harvard Crimson reported that some students in the incoming freshman class created a private Facebook group in December where they traded images and messages that were often sexually explicit and sometimes mocked racial minorities
President Trump is well known to like using Twitter and has come under question about whether or not his Tweets count as official US documents. He has been involved in several Twitter wars with various celebrities and politicians, the latest the Mayor of Manchester. His Tweets haves "often undermined his own staff with "alternative facts" and could come into play during the Comey testimony.

Trumpā€™s tweets have ā€˜enragedā€™ British officials ā€” especially those who work in counterterrorism
The BBCā€™s Tara McKelvey reports that Trumpā€™s tweets attacking London Mayor Sadiq Khan have ā€œenragedā€ government officials, ā€œespecially those who work in counterterrorism.ā€

Paul Pillar, a former CIA analyst, tells the BBC that he doesnā€™t blame U.K. counterterrorism officials for being furious at Trump for attacking Londonā€™s mayor.

Loose lips sink ships?
President Trumpā€™s Tweets Are A Gold Mine For Foreign Intelligence
Are President Trumpā€™s tweets dangerous to our national security? I posed this question on Twitter, and immediately was deluged by the usual flood of partisan answers. The presidentā€™s supporters think itā€™s wonderful that Trump bypasses the media filter and speaks his mind directly to the voters. The presidentā€™s detractors think heā€™s revealing a neurotic personality and that his aides should take his phone away from him.

I approached the question differently. As I watched Trump fulminate against hearings in the Senateā€”during which former Acting Attorney General Sally Yates testified that she warned the White House about fallen National Security Adviser Mike Flynnā€™s Russian connectionsā€”it occurred to me that I was getting a real-time look at how the president of the United States reacts to stress.

More important, it also occurred to me that I was not the only one getting a raw feed of the presidentā€™s thoughts and emotions. I realized that any foreign intelligence analyst worth his or her salt was almost certainly taking copious notes.

I doubt this will happen:
Big changes reportedly coming to how Trump manages Twitter account
The White House source told The Wall Street Journal administration staffers wanted to create a system to limit Trumpā€™s Twitter autonomy so that his tweets ā€œdonā€™t go from the presidentā€™s mind out to the universe.ā€

I don't think many of us would have jobs if what we posted here were assigned to our actual names. I know I wouldn't. lol

I don't think many of us would have jobs if what we posted here were assigned to our actual names. I know I wouldn't. lol
Agreed that people here would be held accountable for their racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic and other hateful posts should their usernames be equated with their real names and their employers.

That said, although I understand why Trump's staffers are doing it, I do not agree that President Trump should not be held accountable for his Tweets since everyone else is held accountable for their social media postings.

Agreed that people here would be held accountable for their racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic and other hateful posts should their usernames be equated with their real names and their employers.

That said, although I understand why Trump's staffers are doing it, I do not agree that President Trump should not be held accountable for his Tweets since everyone else is held accountable for their social media postings.

Oh, I agree. It's his account, that he opened, and, willingly assigned/verified his own name to it. He owns it just like anyone else would.

Depends on what you mean by accountable. If you mean punished for expressing personal opinions, regardless of how insulting said opinions may be to any particular social niche, no. That is the essence of the 1st Amendment.

Slander, libel, and threats that would be actionable under law remain actionable under law in any case.

Several Harvard students who have been accepted to Harvard but haven't attended class yet had their acceptance to Harvard withdrawn over inappropriate social media posts. Should people be held accountable for what they post online?

At least 10 students who were accepted to Harvard University had their admission offers revoked because they made offensive comments online, the university's student newspaper reported.

The Harvard Crimson reported that some students in the incoming freshman class created a private Facebook group in December where they traded images and messages that were often sexually explicit and sometimes mocked racial minorities
President Trump is well known to like using Twitter and has come under question about whether or not his Tweets count as official US documents. He has been involved in several Twitter wars with various celebrities and politicians, the latest the Mayor of Manchester. His Tweets haves "often undermined his own staff with "alternative facts" and could come into play during the Comey testimony.

Trumpā€™s tweets have ā€˜enragedā€™ British officials ā€” especially those who work in counterterrorism
The BBCā€™s Tara McKelvey reports that Trumpā€™s tweets attacking London Mayor Sadiq Khan have ā€œenragedā€ government officials, ā€œespecially those who work in counterterrorism.ā€

Paul Pillar, a former CIA analyst, tells the BBC that he doesnā€™t blame U.K. counterterrorism officials for being furious at Trump for attacking Londonā€™s mayor.

Loose lips sink ships?
Are President Trumpā€™s tweets dangerous to our national security? I posed this question on Twitter, and immediately was deluged by the usual flood of partisan answers. The presidentā€™s supporters think itā€™s wonderful that Trump bypasses the media filter and speaks his mind directly to the voters. The presidentā€™s detractors think heā€™s revealing a neurotic personality and that his aides should take his phone away from him.

I approached the question differently. As I watched Trump fulminate against hearings in the Senateā€”during which former Acting Attorney General Sally Yates testified that she warned the White House about fallen National Security Adviser Mike Flynnā€™s Russian connectionsā€”it occurred to me that I was getting a real-time look at how the president of the United States reacts to stress.

More important, it also occurred to me that I was not the only one getting a raw feed of the presidentā€™s thoughts and emotions. I realized that any foreign intelligence analyst worth his or her salt was almost certainly taking copious notes.

The White House source told The Wall Street Journal administration staffers wanted to create a system to limit Trumpā€™s Twitter autonomy so that his tweets ā€œdonā€™t go from the presidentā€™s mind out to the universe.ā€

It's absurd to even suggest one can make statements -- in whatever medium --- and then not be responsible for them. What the repercussions handed down as a result are, is an entirely different question.

"Whatever medium" absolutely includes this one. Dishonest posters here are constantly making assertions they can't back up and posting outright fabrications. Even posing the question suggesting they have an "out", only reinforces that blatant dishonesty.

"Once a bell has rung, you cannot unring it". Once a statement is made, it becomes reality. Reality is not negotiable.

Loose lips sink ships?

Obama and Soros thought it was great to have ppl arrested for anything they said that wasn't for the a hole., the gays, etc. If you acted like the Bill Ayres Obama cult you were good to go and could say anything you wanted. Kind of like ANTIFA.

[

My real last name is rather Polish. lol

I have always wanted a last name that has no vowels, myself.

36_11_222.gif

Loose lips sink ships?

Obama and Soros thought it was great to have ppl arrested for anything they said that wasn't for the a hole., the gays, etc. If you acted like the Bill Ayres Obama cult you were good to go and could say anything you wanted. Kind of like ANTIFA.

Here's a challenge for you:

Try going one entire day without lies about President Obama as well as other liberals/Dems.

Bet you cant.

=====

OP - yes.

But the difference with trump is that, by law, he cannot destroy things he has said. In the past, he has erased his own tweets, which he should be held accountable for, but of course, he won't be.

Depends on what you mean by accountable. If you mean punished for expressing personal opinions, regardless of how insulting said opinions may be to any particular social niche, no. That is the essence of the 1st Amendment.

Slander, libel, and threats that would be actionable under law remain actionable under law in any case.
First Amendment just means the Federal government can't prosecute you for burning your flag or saying the President (any President) is a fucking moron. It doesn't cover illegal comments such as falsely accusing someone of being a traitor or a child molester.

In this case, by accountable, it means they are held responsible for saying it. They can't deny they said it or accuse others of twisting what was clearly a specific statement. Those former Harvard students can't say "I was just joking" or "my dog did it". It's their account and they are responsible for the content.

I use my real name because what you see is what you get. I standby what I see or think exceptions are if I am kidding or just messing around. You have to think about which one I am doing. If you can't get it then that is your problem. I would put up my email address but I don't think that is allowed.

Loose lips sink ships?

Soros, Obammma, Clinton wanted the UN to control the internet, they even had the FCC try to pass a Fairness doctrine passed to stop the truth or content that they disproved of...Its called the freedom of speech. You live for it. and in some Nations you die for it.

Forum List

Back