Do They Deserve Condemnation?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Madeline, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
  2. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
  3. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Do school officials have a duty to unearth bullying, Sky Dancer?

(I'm not claiming that happened here; seems inescapable they knew about what was happening to Phoebe Prince.)

4. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Some schools have a zero tolerance policy for bullying. That would have helped in this case.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Absolutely the school officials here should be charged with a crime. Pathetic. I sit on my local school board and I can assure you we will fire immediately any school employee who doesn't report bullying as soon as they become aware of it.

6. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,310
    Yes, I think in a closed situation such as school they should be criticized if they knew what going on. There are sins of omission as the nuns used to say. I wish there were a way to get a few moral bullies to defend those who haven't the strength or courage at this critical point in development to defend themselves enough. A neighbor of our son is moving to another school district to hopefully get away from bullying but I have to wonder. It would be better to practice karate or form groups, but some can not do this. Tough situation, and a harder question sometimes is why so many feel it necessary to control beat hit or whatever, seems our moral evolution needs much work.

7. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I think it's terrible that a student must leave a school because officials will not control bullying. ConHog, what policies does your school district have about it? Anything in writing that you could share?

8. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,270
    I think the real question is what are the societal factors that have contributed to our children becoming bullies in the first place. There's plenty of blame to be spread all around.

9. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    Yes, our written policy is zero tolerance, expulsion. Of course we also leave it up to the Superintendent to differentiate between normal children fighting, which happens, and bullying. One will earn a paddling or suspension. The other will earn expulsion. We've had this policy in place for 4 years. We've expelled 5 students, all 5 of course appealed the expulsions, in all 5 cases the school board declined to overrule the Superintendent's decision, 2 families sued the school. Neither won.

I also worked to and was successful in changing the policy of punishing someone who was defending themselves as harshly as someone who started a fight. I always thought that was ridiculous that someone could get in just as much trouble for defending themselves as another person got in for starting a fight.

10. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Does there seem to be a change in the students' attitudes about bullying, ConHog?