Do They Deserve Condemnation?

• Banned
Do school officials have a duty to unearth bullying, Sky Dancer?

(I'm not claiming that happened here; seems inescapable they knew about what was happening to Phoebe Prince.)

Absolutely the school officials here should be charged with a crime. Pathetic. I sit on my local school board and I can assure you we will fire immediately any school employee who doesn't report bullying as soon as they become aware of it.

Yes, I think in a closed situation such as school they should be criticized if they knew what going on. There are sins of omission as the nuns used to say. I wish there were a way to get a few moral bullies to defend those who haven't the strength or courage at this critical point in development to defend themselves enough. A neighbor of our son is moving to another school district to hopefully get away from bullying but I have to wonder. It would be better to practice karate or form groups, but some can not do this. Tough situation, and a harder question sometimes is why so many feel it necessary to control beat hit or whatever, seems our moral evolution needs much work.

• Banned
I think it's terrible that a student must leave a school because officials will not control bullying. ConHog, what policies does your school district have about it? Anything in writing that you could share?

I think the real question is what are the societal factors that have contributed to our children becoming bullies in the first place. There's plenty of blame to be spread all around.

I think it's terrible that a student must leave a school because officials will not control bullying. ConHog, what policies does your school district have about it? Anything in writing that you could share?

Yes, our written policy is zero tolerance, expulsion. Of course we also leave it up to the Superintendent to differentiate between normal children fighting, which happens, and bullying. One will earn a paddling or suspension. The other will earn expulsion. We've had this policy in place for 4 years. We've expelled 5 students, all 5 of course appealed the expulsions, in all 5 cases the school board declined to overrule the Superintendent's decision, 2 families sued the school. Neither won.

I also worked to and was successful in changing the policy of punishing someone who was defending themselves as harshly as someone who started a fight. I always thought that was ridiculous that someone could get in just as much trouble for defending themselves as another person got in for starting a fight.

Does there seem to be a change in the students' attitudes about bullying, ConHog?

well, I THINK so, but our zero tolerance policy is also coupled with programs designed to teach the students that were all people and bullying accomplishes nothing. We absolutely have less problems with bullying now than when I went to school here 20 years ago. Back then no one gave any thought to a bully, it was just kids being kids, now of course we understand the difference and at our school we work very hard to keep our teachers aware of what's going on and that they are responsible if they suspect something and don't report it. Also we have an on campus police officer who is just excellent with the kids. He really takes time to relate to them and educate them from a law enforcement perspective of why it's important to not only not be a bully yourself, but report those who are bullies.

we also have a few teachers who teach an after school martial arts class which has worked out quite well. It has taught the kids who are primary targets of bullying to defend themselves, it has taught the kids who are prone to bullying some self control, and most importantly it has taught all the kids that everyone deserves respect.

Has your school district dealt at all with internet bullying, ConHog?

(Thankies for the excellent reply BTW.)

Not to my knowledge. We haven't had a situation yet. Honestly we're a small community , less than 1400 students K-12.

We DO have a policy though. IF you use another student's likeness, voice, name or words on a social site without their permission, you will be punished, up to and including expulsion.

I refuse to let us have a situation.

O, now that is useful. No need to judge the quality of the post, just prohibit them outright. This sounds quite promising.

Well, obviously we don't have anyone monitoring websites. No student is even investigated let alone punished unless a student complains.

They go to the Principal who will if he determine appropriate punishment or kick it to the Superintendent, who will issue punishment up to and including expulsion if need be. Like I said, we haven't actually had a case of it yet.

Forum List

Back