Do theists believe in logic?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Since it was Satan who introduced us to the pursuit of knowledge, shouldn't devout theists of all stripes denounce critical reasoning and logic as the work of the Devil?

Since it was Satan who introduced us to the pursuit of knowledge, shouldn't devout theists of all stripes denounce critical reasoning and logic as the work of the Devil?

The fall of Adam came from his learning about good and evil, Manifold, not from discoving critical reasoning and logic.

Ya' know, in order for one to logically critique something one must first understand it.

Clearly you don't.

• Banned

The fall of Adam came from his learning about good and evil, Manifold, not from discoving critical reasoning and logic.

Ya' know, in order for one to logically critique something one must first understand it.

Clearly you don't.

Lucky for me I have you to clear these things up for me. :lol:

And perhaps in your hurry to lecture me, you didn't realize that this thread was in response to an even more ridiculous one posted earlier in this forum.

You really are a pompous asshole and that's what I love about you! :rofl:

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Logic is rarely black and white. Logic depends alot on the premises you accept to base your conclusions.

Yet, there are a few things that can be logically deduced. For example, we can learn there is absolute truth by analyzing the antithesis with logic:

1. There is no absolute Truth.
2. Premise 1 is an absolute Truth
3. Since premise 1 & 2 contradict, premise 1 cannot be true.

Unfortunately, not all matters are as easy to analyze logically.

So yes, theists believe in logic. We just realize there is alot in life that logic doesnt address.

Logic?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rooyt3ptNco]YouTube - Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World[/ame]

Logic is rarely black and white.

So yes, theists believe in logic. We just realize there is alot in life that logic doesnt address.

balderdash, the logic is based on two values false 0, truth 1, other approach is not the logic only something else (this must know even the fresher or else will fail in an examination)

theists do not believe in the logic, because if believed then did not tell so many nonsenses and stupendous rubbish

Last edited:

Clearly you don't.

Lucky for me I have you to clear these things up for me. :lol:

And perhaps in your hurry to lecture me, you didn't realize that this thread was in response to an even more ridiculous one posted earlier in this forum.

You really are a pompous asshole and that's what I love about you! :rofl:
:lol:

Oh the irony!!!!!

Aquinas pinched logic from Aristotle via the Islamic scholars. He used that logic to bolster Christian theology (eg proof of God). But logic is only a way of expressing an argument isn't it? I mean a valid argument in terms of the conclusion flowing from the premises is only about structure, not about the factual truth of the conclusion. I wonder if Aristotle intended his logical form to be used to prove something factually (so far) unproveable (eg the existence or otherwise of God).

Aquinas pinched logic from Aristotle

poppycock, texts of both 'philosophers' are extremely unclear (read: illogical),
about that you can know from modern philosophers from the movement of the logical empiricism (they have said that such philosophers like plato, aristotle, aquinas, kant, hegel etc. spoke ordinary nonsenses) - among these people were real logicians and not among such fools like aristotle or some other lame-ducks

if the logic sees about with the logical form, then if this form can't be visible then there is no logic, and that is in unclear texts

Last edited:
I wonder if Aristotle intended his logical form to be used to prove something factually (so far) unproveable (eg the existence or otherwise of God).

He does so himself in Metaphysics:

It is evident, then, from what has been said, that there is a primary being, eternal and unmovable and separate from sensible things. It has also been shown that the primary being cannot have magnitude, but is without parts and indivisible. For the unmoved mover moves in unlimited time, and nothing limited has unlimited power...

Aquinas' Catholic God is a helluva far cry from Aristotle's "unmoved mover," though.

I wonder if Aristotle intended his logical form to be used to prove something factually (so far) unproveable (eg the existence or otherwise of God).

He does so himself in Metaphysics:

It is evident, then, from what has been said, that there is a primary being, eternal and unmovable and separate from sensible things. It has also been shown that the primary being cannot have magnitude, but is without parts and indivisible. For the unmoved mover moves in unlimited time, and nothing limited has unlimited power...

Aquinas' Catholic God is a helluva far cry from Aristotle's "unmoved mover," though.

Apparently so - but then Aristotle's time had a pantheon of gods while Aquinas was steeped in a tradition of a single god, Aquinas probably had an easier job of it :D

Logic is rarely black and white. Logic depends alot on the premises you accept to base your conclusions.

Yet, there are a few things that can be logically deduced. For example, we can learn there is absolute truth by analyzing the antithesis with logic:

1. There is no absolute Truth.
2. Premise 1 is an absolute Truth
3. Since premise 1 & 2 contradict, premise 1 cannot be true.

Unfortunately, not all matters are as easy to analyze logically.

Why do you say, "logic is rarely black and white?"

Last edited:

I love how stupid this post is

now for something interesting
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

is there an inherent contradiction with being both a theist and a believer in logic?

yes, there is.

Um... because it depends a lot on the premises you accept to base your conclusions.

:wtf::wtf::eusa_wall::eusa_wall:
Not if they are sound. Faulty reasoning is usually a symptom of unsound axioms

Forum List

Back