Do the unwashed masses need to be controlled?

Do the unwashed masses (i.e. "people") need to be controlled?

If no, why not?

If yes, how much and by whom?

Discuss.
I wouldn't call the 'Baggers "unwashed", as-much-as.....much-too-unsophisticated to make any evaluations of affairs-of-the-state.

I blame Madison Avenue. The 'Baggers haven't been the same, since there've been way-too-many variations/copies of Reality T.V. They don't need to be controlled. They (merely) need some new distraction.​

Do the unwashed masses (i.e. "people") need to be controlled?

If no, why not?

If yes, how much and by whom?

Discuss.

Not so much controlled as pacified. 'Control' is too loaded a word. It is inadequate for the purposes of this kind of a discussion. Did the founding fathers wish to control the masses, or did they opt to go the root of preventing what the masses could do with government?

Yeah....like creating a Department Of Education.

(BTW.....that's "...go the r-o-u-t-e of preventing...".)

:rolleyes:

Do the unwashed masses need to be controlled?

Yes. Yes, they do.

I already said that they do.

All the time.

By the cleansed.

No discussion necessary. Them's the facts. Read'em and weep, bitch!

And who are the cleansed?

Apparently, those washed in the blood of the lamb, right?

just need to be baptized and taught good principles, then they will govern themselves.

jerkoff1.gif

"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

2010 update>

"Give me your tired , your poor, Your huddles masses yearning to howl in the ascii wilderness, because we can't have such wretched refuse teeming the halls of Congress

Sent these to the acsii home of pot/kettle pitch & toss , i lift my lamp to the golden door of mental masturbation placating them!"

Reading some of the incoherent drivel some of you folks write, the kneejerk answer is clearly .... yes!

But beware, citizens!

That kind of thinking is essantially anti-democractic and inevitably it leads to one to support authoritarian tryanny.

If we truly expect people to be better citizens, we have to inspire them to be better citizens.

Lead by example, not by force.

Yeah, when we started, we had a really neat one page document that covered all the basic points of what the government could do.

Somewhere we went off track

It now takes 2,000 pages to tell people how to care for themselves.

Another 2,000 pages to tell people where they can put their money

And about 1,000,000 pages of regulation to wash it all down.

It's because for every 1,000 pages of regulations, Republicans have figured out 5,000 ways around those regulations to squeeze as much money as they can out of the "small people".

All those feelings pass once you stop feeling like a small person

Nah, just need to be baptized and taught good principles, then they will govern themselves.
yeah. that ALWAYS works out!:lol:

It works out very well. Unfortunately, it's rarely tried.
Yeah.....very well......

:rolleyes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYyiwN-kMHs]YouTube - The Swaggart Affair[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECoqnZuCtUo&feature=related]YouTube - Jim & Tammy Baker Part 1[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52yTqMcwuQE&feature=related[/ame]​

Last edited:
Why not ask "Why do some people feel they need to control others?"

It is a truth universally understood by decent people that those who crave control over other people are always those who are least qualified by virtue of values and temperament to have such control.

So.... the people who become COs are worse than the inmates?

I said CRAVE control. Accepting a position of responsibility and having respect for and exercising restraint concerning the power it entails is not CRAVING.

Those who CRAVE control often have no concept of the limits or responsibilities of power.

Reading some of the incoherent drivel some of you folks write, the kneejerk answer is clearly .... yes!

But beware, citizens!

That kind of thinking is essantially anti-democractic and inevitably it leads to one to support authoritarian tryanny.

If we truly expect people to be better citizens, we have to inspire them to be better citizens.

Lead by example, not by force.

But...But.....But......
This decade has exhibited a vacumn in leadership, therefore no inspiration, and most significantly, an erosion of incentive.
Irresponsible behavior and greed is rewarded politically, economically, and socially.
The continuing vacumn in leadership, trickles down from the top, infecting the 'unwashed masses'.
Therefore, force rules in our current age of militarism, leading us down the path of tyranny, and the citizenery, as a majority, has lost its' moral compass. As a result, citizens, and to borrow a quote from the Lakota Sioux, run like wild horses before an upcoming storm.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back