Do the unwashed masses need to be controlled?

Do the unwashed masses (i.e. "people") need to be controlled?

If no, why not?

If yes, how much and by whom?

Discuss.

Do you mean to ask whether the vast majority of the people need to be controlled thru a combination of pacification, brain-washing, lies, preying on their dreams, paramilitary suppression and depopulation, by the wealthiest and powerful minority?

Like, for example, convincing people that it's the democratically elected government, and not the economic elite, that threatens their freedom and is responsible for their economic plight?

Or that honest hard work will eventually pay off?

That kind of control?

Nah, just need to be baptized and taught good principles, then they will govern themselves.
yeah. that ALWAYS works out!:lol:

It works out very well. Unfortunately, it's rarely tried.

I hate to break your bubble, there Avatar, but about 99% of Western civilization has been baptized and taught good principles for the past 1500 years or so. I doesn't work.

There are some people that it does work on. Sometimes there are only minor differences in what is understood to be "good principles", which can cause great problem.

An awful lot of times people blatantly misinterpert "good principlas" to be whatever they want it to be.

For example, if you've ever read "Mein Kampt", you'd know that Hitler was a FANATIC Christian. Everything he says is justifed through his "Christian" religious beliefs.

But the fact is the vast majority of the people just choose to reject everything that they were taught when they were young. They consider pragmatism to require it.

I believe the Founders were VERY wise when setting up a REPRESENTATIVE REPUBLIC. Jay Leno's on the street cams, the extreme tattooed and pierced crowd, the sports fanatics, and the addicted crowd clearly illustrate that a good part of the populace is not fit to take part in SERIOUS political discussion/governance.

why so serious?:cuckoo:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk_HPs34usU]YouTube - Congressman John Dingell: "It takes a long time to ... control the people"[/ame]

:lol:

It's never funny when Dems slip and reveal their inner Nazi.

Dingell get 5 little Adolf stickers for that one.

0ed6194f0c904abe8f28bbd37e84ee9f-800.png

Why not ask "Why do some people feel they need to control others?"

It is a truth universally understood by decent people that those who crave control over other people are always those who are least qualified by virtue of values and temperament to have such control.

Isn't that the rationale for leaving the state of nature and forming a society? Replacing anarchy with varying degrees of control? "Rights" have no meaning in the absence of structures that compel ("control") your neighbors to recognize and respect them.

If no, why not?

Discuss.

They are being controlled now. It's why Republicans refuse to give the unemployed benefits. It's one of the shackles that keeps them down. Another front of the Republican "War on the Middle Class".

Yeah, when we started, we had a really neat one page document that covered all the basic points of what the government could do.

Somewhere we went off track

It now takes 2,000 pages to tell people how to care for themselves.

Another 2,000 pages to tell people where they can put their money

And about 1,000,000 pages of regulation to wash it all down.

If no, why not?

Discuss.

Not so much controlled as pacified. 'Control' is too loaded a word. It is inadequate for the purposes of this kind of a discussion. Did the founding fathers wish to control the masses, or did they opt to go the root of preventing what the masses could do with government?

I said what I meant to say.

The sugarcoating, wordgame bullshit is your milieu, not mine.

Yeah, when we started, we had a really neat one page document that covered all the basic points of what the government could do.

Somewhere we went off track

It now takes 2,000 pages to tell people how to care for themselves.

Another 2,000 pages to tell people where they can put their money

And about 1,000,000 pages of regulation to wash it all down.

It's because for every 1,000 pages of regulations, Republicans have figured out 5,000 ways around those regulations to squeeze as much money as they can out of the "small people".

If no, why not?

Discuss.

This is what one Democrat thinks
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvDwFQiSkBU]YouTube - The wrong words slip out of Congressman John Dingell's mouth[/ame]

If no, why not?

Discuss.

Not so much controlled as pacified. 'Control' is too loaded a word. It is inadequate for the purposes of this kind of a discussion. Did the founding fathers wish to control the masses, or did they opt to go the root of preventing what the masses could do with government?

I said what I meant to say.

The sugarcoating, wordgame bullshit is your milieu, not mine.

let me see...:eusa_whistle:

We had lessons on deceit, deception and deflection; lessons on distinctions with differences; lessons on context, nuance, and...and now we've moved on to early onset dementia posing as honesty?

Being mistaken and confusing it for being brutally honest? Mistaking clear distinctions and definitions for sugarcoating?

:clap2:

Unwashed masses? Not controlled just shocked repeatedly until they learn to obey.

TM can be first. :evil: heeheeheehee

Forum List

Back