Do the poor really have no wealth?

too stupid!! as if Ph.D researchers don't know to compare apples to apples rather than apples to oranges!!

Edward, don't feel you are too below average to question research buddy. I've had plenty of Doctorate holders quote me misleading statistics in my life to sell me on tuition fees. I also know the reasons to consider sending my kid to the private school down the road vs the public school. Not a new train of thought here. Question everyone.

too stupid!! as if Ph.D researchers don't know to compare apples to apples rather than apples to oranges!!

Edward, what is the effect of having one jerk kid derailing a class on the rest of the class? The whole school.

That catholic school can kick him out considerably easier than the public school which eventually just isolates the jerks together to multiply where their suffering can multiply.

You're smart. Figure it out.

The poor for a great part have been taught that they are entitled! They need to be retaught basic economics - that children are expensive, and nothing is free. Most societal problems are a direct result of poor ignorant people procreating.

The libturds act as if they have no wealth, as if the defense budget only protects the rich!! Let them live in the Congo and see their families slaughtered by invaders and then say they have no wealth here, let them live without state of the art medical care and say they have no wealth. Let them live without free education and Social Security and say they have no wealth.

See why we are 100% positive a liberal will be slow, so very very slow?

You're very typical of the knee jerk rw's here but you actually have a small point here. Even you know that "wealth" is relative.

I once read that fully half of the world's population will never make or receive a telephone call. I can't speak to the accuracy of that statement but it does make a point - that if you have never even made or received a phone call, a cell phone doesn't mean much.

OTOH, if you live in NYC and if you don't have the money to move to south Florida and if rents in NYC are astronomical then you know you're gonna need more than a job at McD's to be able to afford a 6th floor, cold water, walk up.

Taken a step further, in 1968, I landed in NYC with $50 in my pocket. I was offered three jobs in the first day.

Not because I was the answer to every employer's dream but rather, because, in those days, employees could pick and choose.

That's not the way it is anymore and to say its the fault of the libs or the fault of the rw's is just stupid.

Grow up and learn to deal with the world, YOUR world, as it is, not as you wish it to be. You and I don't live in the Congo and to pretend our world has anything in common with those who do live there is just more rw mental masturbation.

The libturds act as if they have no wealth, as if the defense budget only protects the rich!! Let them live in the Congo and see their families slaughtered by invaders and then say they have no wealth here, let them live without state of the art medical care and say they have no wealth. Let them live without free education and Social Security and say they have no wealth.

So, fuck you for being poor, because you aren't poor enough?

no idea what you mean?? Do you mean that the poor have a great deal of wealth in America despite what the liberals would have us believe??

Last edited:

no idea what you mean?? Do you mean that the poor have a great deal of wealth in America despite what the liberals would have us believe??

Because saying 'hey, you aren't as poor as the Congo' is like the same as saying 'You're problems aren't real'

Because saying 'hey, you aren't as poor as the Congo' is like the same as saying 'You're problems aren't real'

They are 1000's of times less real than those in the Congo thanks to Republican capitalism. No free state of the art medical care there!!and no national defense there for them!!

They are 1000's of times less real than those in the Congo thanks to Republican capitalism. No free state of the art medical care there!!and no national defense there for them!!

That doesn't matter. A poor person in the US is still poor. They may not be congo poor, but they are poor.

Last edited:
Nothing is free. Not even education.

I have a $5000 deductible on my health insurance so I must have $5000 in wealth if I want health care. IF I was poor on Medicare I'd have no deductible, could blow the money on a good time, and have no wealth too!!

So this means its unfair that I have wealth when I'd take the $0 deductible anytime?? This is the way liberals think.

My father in law is poor and on medicare. He has co-payments and deductibles including a $300 a day deductible if he goes into the hospital. His co payments are so high that he ended up getting hearing aids from the Lyon's Club as he couldn't afford the payments. Sadly, they hearing aids aren't made for him and he has major trouble with them, but they are better than nothing.

I think you're an idiot if you think the poor don't pay for anything.

My father in law's biggest fear seems to be going into the hospital and leaving us with the bill.

Understanding Poverty in the United States: Surprising Facts About America's Poor​

The following are facts about persons defined as “poor” by the Census Bureau as taken from various government reports:
■80 percent of poor households have air conditioning. In 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.
■92 percent of poor households have a microwave.
■Nearly three-fourths have a car or truck, and 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks.
■Nearly two-thirds have cable or satellite TV.
■Two-thirds have at least one DVD player, and 70 percent have a VCR.
■Half have a personal computer, and one in seven have two or more computers.
■More than half of poor families with children have a video game system, such as an Xbox or PlayStation.
■43 percent have Internet access.
■One-third have a wide-screen plasma or LCD TV.
■One-fourth have a digital video recorder system, such as a TiVo.​
For decades, the living conditions of the poor have steadily improved. Consumer items that were luxuries or significant purchases for the middle class a few decades ago have become commonplace in poor households, partially because of the normal downward price trend that follows introduction of a new product.

Liberals use the declining relative prices of many amenities to argue that it is no big deal that poor households have air conditioning, computers, cable TV, and wide-screen TV. They contend, polemically, that even though most poor families may have a house full of modern conveniences, the average poor family still suffers from substantial deprivation in basic needs, such as food and housing. In reality, this is just not true.

Although the mainstream media broadcast alarming stories about widespread and severe hunger in the nation, in reality, most of the poor do not experience hunger or food shortages. The U.S. Department of Agriculture collects data on these topics in its household food security survey. For 2009, the survey showed:

■96 percent of poor parents stated that their children were never hungry at any time during the year because they could not afford food.
■83 percent of poor families reported having enough food to eat.
■82 percent of poor adults reported never being hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money for food.​
Other government surveys show that the average consumption of protein, vitamins, and minerals is virtually the same for poor and middle-class children and is well above recommended norms in most cases.

Television newscasts about poverty in America generally portray the poor as homeless people or as a destitute family living in an overcrowded, dilapidated trailer. In fact, however:

■Over the course of a year, 4 percent of poor persons become temporarily homeless.
■Only 9.5 percent of the poor live in mobile homes or trailers, 49.5 percent live in separate single-family houses or townhouses, and 40 percent live in apartments.
■42 percent of poor households actually own their own homes.
■Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.
■The average poor American has more living space than the typical non-poor person in Sweden, France, or the United Kingdom.
■The vast majority of the homes or apartments of the poor are in good repair.​
By their own reports, the average poor person had sufficient funds to meet all essential needs and to obtain medical care for family members throughout the year whenever needed.

The Census Bureau’s annual poverty report presents a misleading picture of poverty in the United States. Few of the 46.2 million people identified by the Census Bureau as being “in poverty” are what most Americans would consider poor—lacking nutritious food, adequate warm housing, or clothing. The typical “poor” American lives in an air-conditioned house or apartment and has cable TV, a car, multiple color TVs, a DVD player, and a VCR among other conveniences. While some of the poor face significant material hardship, formulating a sound, long-term anti-poverty policy that addresses the causes as well as the symptoms of poverty will require honest and accurate information. Exaggerating the extent and severity of hardships will not benefit society, the taxpayers, or the poor.

For most Americans, the word “poverty” suggests near destitution: an inability to provide nutritious food, clothing, or reasonable shelter for one’s family. For example, the Poverty Pulse poll by the Catholic Campaign for Human Development in 2005 asked the general public: “How would you describe being poor in the U.S.?” The overwhelming majority of responses focused on homelessness, hunger or not being able to eat properly, and not being able to meet basic needs.[2] Yet if poverty means lacking nutritious food, adequate warm housing, and clothing, relatively few of the 46 million people identified by the Census Bureau as being “in poverty” could be characterized as poor.
Read more:
Understanding Poverty in the United States: Poverty USA

Poverty - Definition Of Poverty, Global Poverty, Measuring Poverty, Welfare Response, Categories Of Dependence, Weakened Families And Kinship Systems

Additional Topics

Poverty - Definition Of Poverty
No one common definition of poverty is accepted by all countries. Poverty is generally categorized as material deprivation. Generally, poverty is defined as the state of being poor or deficient in money or means of subsistence (Barker 1995). Increasingly, the concept of basic subsistence is measured by the availability of infrastructure services, such as safe water, sanitation, solid-waste collect…

Poverty - Global Poverty
The world may be categorized into seven major areas for ease of study and understanding. They are: Latin America and the Caribbean; the Middle East and North Africa; Africa—Sub-Sahara; Europe, and Central Asia; East Asia and the Pacific; South Asia; and North America. In a major study of global poverty, the World Bank (2001) estimated that 1.2 billion people lived in poverty in these seven …

Poverty - Measuring Poverty
Each country measures poverty according to its level of development, societal norms, and values. Because of these differences, the poverty level may change from country to country; thus, there is no uniformity in the poverty line. The poverty line is a measure of the amount of money a government or a society believes is necessary for a person to live at a minimum level of subsistence or standard o…

Poverty - Welfare Response
Welfare is defined as a condition of physical health, emotional comfort, and economic security. The term also characterizes the efforts of a society to help its citizens achieve that condition, and is used as a synonym for public assistance or other programs that provide for the economic and social services needs of poor people (Barker 1997). Welfare refers to government efforts that provide money…

Poverty - Categories Of Dependence
Dependence can be divided into two categories: generational welfare dependence and situational welfare dependence. Welfare families who raise children who, in turn, become welfare recipients are the generational welfare dependent. Generational welfare dependency is the hardest type of poverty for a family to overcome. Over time, this kind of poverty creates a poverty of spirit that can affect a pe…

Read more: Poverty - Definition Of Poverty, Global Poverty, Measuring Poverty, Welfare Response, Categories Of Dependence, Weakened Families And Kinship Systems - JRank ArticlesPoverty - Definition Of Poverty, Global Poverty, Measuring Poverty, Welfare Response, Categories Of Dependence, Weakened Families And Kinship Systems - JRank Articles

I've lived at or below poverty a few times in my life. It's not fun.

But looking back, they are the most memorable of times.

When you don't have a dollar to your name there's nothing but family and friends. Stories, humor, boredom, rejection, hoplessness. Endless days with no future in sight, endless hungry nights.

Yet through it all, I was and still remain a Republican. Patience, grasshoppers.

Patience.

Understanding Poverty in the United States: Surprising Facts About America's Poor​

The following are facts about persons defined as “poor” by the Census Bureau as taken from various government reports:
■80 percent of poor households have air conditioning. In 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.
■92 percent of poor households have a microwave.
■Nearly three-fourths have a car or truck, and 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks.
■Nearly two-thirds have cable or satellite TV.
■Two-thirds have at least one DVD player, and 70 percent have a VCR.
■Half have a personal computer, and one in seven have two or more computers.
■More than half of poor families with children have a video game system, such as an Xbox or PlayStation.
■43 percent have Internet access.
■One-third have a wide-screen plasma or LCD TV.
■One-fourth have a digital video recorder system, such as a TiVo.​
For decades, the living conditions of the poor have steadily improved. Consumer items that were luxuries or significant purchases for the middle class a few decades ago have become commonplace in poor households, partially because of the normal downward price trend that follows introduction of a new product.

Liberals use the declining relative prices of many amenities to argue that it is no big deal that poor households have air conditioning, computers, cable TV, and wide-screen TV. They contend, polemically, that even though most poor families may have a house full of modern conveniences, the average poor family still suffers from substantial deprivation in basic needs, such as food and housing. In reality, this is just not true.

Although the mainstream media broadcast alarming stories about widespread and severe hunger in the nation, in reality, most of the poor do not experience hunger or food shortages. The U.S. Department of Agriculture collects data on these topics in its household food security survey. For 2009, the survey showed:

■96 percent of poor parents stated that their children were never hungry at any time during the year because they could not afford food.
■83 percent of poor families reported having enough food to eat.
■82 percent of poor adults reported never being hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money for food.​
Other government surveys show that the average consumption of protein, vitamins, and minerals is virtually the same for poor and middle-class children and is well above recommended norms in most cases.

Television newscasts about poverty in America generally portray the poor as homeless people or as a destitute family living in an overcrowded, dilapidated trailer. In fact, however:

■Over the course of a year, 4 percent of poor persons become temporarily homeless.
■Only 9.5 percent of the poor live in mobile homes or trailers, 49.5 percent live in separate single-family houses or townhouses, and 40 percent live in apartments.
■42 percent of poor households actually own their own homes.
■Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.
■The average poor American has more living space than the typical non-poor person in Sweden, France, or the United Kingdom.
■The vast majority of the homes or apartments of the poor are in good repair.​
By their own reports, the average poor person had sufficient funds to meet all essential needs and to obtain medical care for family members throughout the year whenever needed.

The Census Bureau’s annual poverty report presents a misleading picture of poverty in the United States. Few of the 46.2 million people identified by the Census Bureau as being “in poverty” are what most Americans would consider poor—lacking nutritious food, adequate warm housing, or clothing. The typical “poor” American lives in an air-conditioned house or apartment and has cable TV, a car, multiple color TVs, a DVD player, and a VCR among other conveniences. While some of the poor face significant material hardship, formulating a sound, long-term anti-poverty policy that addresses the causes as well as the symptoms of poverty will require honest and accurate information. Exaggerating the extent and severity of hardships will not benefit society, the taxpayers, or the poor.

For most Americans, the word “poverty” suggests near destitution: an inability to provide nutritious food, clothing, or reasonable shelter for one’s family. For example, the Poverty Pulse poll by the Catholic Campaign for Human Development in 2005 asked the general public: “How would you describe being poor in the U.S.?” The overwhelming majority of responses focused on homelessness, hunger or not being able to eat properly, and not being able to meet basic needs.[2] Yet if poverty means lacking nutritious food, adequate warm housing, and clothing, relatively few of the 46 million people identified by the Census Bureau as being “in poverty” could be characterized as poor.
Read more:
Understanding Poverty in the United States: Poverty USA

You do know that a lot of the poor go in and out of poverty? That many of them are gifted things? We had an LCD during our 3 years of hell where we were so poor we couldn't pinch pennies. Didn't make us any less poor and selling our tv would have gotten us nowhere. We didn't have cable, we did keep the internet as a way of looking for work. We had computers from before we became poor. We had cars, I ended up having to sell my 1969 mustang convertible, but I'm sure you'll say we weren't really poor because we had that car to sell. We went for a year without health insurance. For some reason I thought the house payment was more important than health insurance and I couldn't afford both. Besides, the house payment was actually less than the cobra insurance. It took me a year to find a job. It's the longest it's ever taken me to find a job. I kept that job for a year and 1/2 before it was sent overseas. Thank God my husband was hired back at Boeing 4 days before he would have lost his seniority. Thank God that the job I did get had health insurance that started immediately because shortly thereafter my husband was diagnosed with colon cancer. And Thank God he was rehired at Boeing when my job was sent overseas because then I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I know if we didn't have insurance, I never would have gone in for a mammogram I couldn't afford and I'd probably be dead by now, but I'm sure you don't believe we were "poor".

My father in law is poor and he has a computer because my son built him one. My other son is severely disabled and had a computer, and old notebook that nobody would use today, but it's got some simple programs on it that he can use, it's more a toy than anything. The tv he had was donated by my friend. They do have cable, provided by the apartment complex to all their apartments. Doesn't make him any less poor.

And those game systems owned by those poor households? Probably old systems donated by people who got new systems. I'm sure you think that makes them less poor but it really doesn't make it any easier to afford the rent or the heat or the gas.

I know poor people who own two vehicles outright. Neither of them are new and one is usually not working but since they have two vehicles, it doesn't matter how old they are, they are not poor by your definition. Guess what? They have computers too. Old ones, put together from several old computers others got rid of, but by your definition that makes them not poor. Doesn't matter they barely can scrap together rent between the three of them, but they aren't poor because they have two vehicles.

Vitamins are not covered by food stamps. We have one of the highest malnutrition rates in the industrialized nations, but of course, they aren't poor because they aren't hungry. After all, they got those danishes for free from the food bank. We also have the highest infant mortality rate in the industrialized world but I'm sure poverty has nothing to do with that, right?

I'm really enjoying this claim that the poor aren't really poor anymore because most of them have microwaves (which you can get for less than 50 bucks), a DVD player (20 bucks), an LCD television (200 bucks), or a video game system (150 bucks). Who knew spending a couple hundred bucks over the course of a few years was the difference between poverty and not-poverty.

But even after you control for SES,( socioeconomic status) Catholic schools run by holy orders (not those overseen by the local bishop) turned out to perform better than other schools studied.

Catholic school is expensive.

The internet can and will be regarded as a need to function in society, much like the telephone.

I think that depends on how close and how crowded the library is. Sometimes you can use the internet in the library. If you have an notebook computer, you can always use the internet in the library. Our library is being rebuilt to have more access to computers and more outlets for those who bring their computers into the library. With that in mind, I've considered cancelling my internet, but so far, my husband is against that idea.

My father in law got internet and cable for 3 months with ridiculously low special. Now that the special is over, it's cancelled and he's back to his antenna for his TV and no charge but super slow dialup for his computer.

Last edited:
A poor person in the US is still poor. They may not be congo poor, but they are poor.

yes and the more you support the poor it seems the more poor there are no matter how far above the Congo they have gotten. By supporting them you create them. One element of the solution has to be a system where the poor are discouraged from having more children than the rich. This more or less reverses evolution and liberals are positive about science and evolution.

Forum List

Back