Do the poor earn their welfare?

Some do but many do not. There needs to be stricter requirements for Welfare Recipients. The Government needs to come up with better standards and requirements for those receiving these benefits. Things have gotten too loose and too many are now taking advantage of the Taxpayers. Citizens weren't supposed to receive Welfare and Unemployment Benefits forever. The System was never intended to support them permanently. There needs to be reasonable limits as to how long Citizens can receive their Welfare. These benefits were only meant to be temporary fixes. Right now the Government is actually encouraging Citizens to stay on Welfare permanently. The whole System is broken. It needs to be revamped immediately. The Nation is broke and it's time people started accepting this reality.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Yeah Jarhead... and they wonder why others call them bigoted extremists.

Man, you're living in a dream world if you don't believe that it happens.

I see it first hand every day.

Folks living off their government child support payments, HUD/subsidized housing, WIC, Food stamps, utility vouchers, etc.

Folks living off their government child support payments, HUD/subsidized housing, WIC, Food stamps, utility vouchers, etc.

Of course it happens, that's not the question. Why not focus on alleviating the poverty, rather than finding ways to isolate it?

The two red-fonted words must be swapped.

That is pure BS.

There are tens of thosuands of businesses started by and run by what are now rich people.
I am a 5%er....actually, a 2%er.....and I busted my ass to make things work...my boys? Both worked since they were 14....and through college.

You only hear about the Paris Hiltons...and assume all are like that.

That may be true about some liberals, but no, not me. However I know enough of the sociological boons and barriers that cause the overwhelming majority of families to remain in the same income bracket generation... after generation... after generation.

The old "Born on 3rd and act like you hit a triple" suffices. Not that I necessarily mean it applies to you personally.

edit: It's not even to insinuate that the generationally wealthy don't work hard, either. Most of them probably do. But so does a truck driver. Do you really think a truck driver's son has the same upward mobility that a CEO's son has?

They may not have the same starting point....no.

But just as the CEO's son can prove to be a failure, the truck drivers son can prove to be a success.

My goal was to ensure that my sons would never have to work a day in their lives.
But my goal was also to ensure they would never want to take advantage of it.

and that is the sentinment of most I interact with in real life.

Citizens weren't supposed to receive Welfare and Unemployment Benefits forever. The System was never intended to support them permanently. There needs to be reasonable limits as to how long Citizens can receive their Welfare.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you don't really have any idea how TANF works.

Of course it happens, that's not the question. Why not focus on alleviating the poverty, rather than finding ways to isolate it?

It's not isolated here in the more rural areas...only in the cities.

How does one alleviate poverty.

The Democrats controlled the U.S. Senate for 57 of the last 78 years.

The Democrats controlled the U.S. House for 63 of the last 78 years.

What have all the poverty alleviating policies they enacted accomplished?

Citizens weren't supposed to receive Welfare and Unemployment Benefits forever. The System was never intended to support them permanently. There needs to be reasonable limits as to how long Citizens can receive their Welfare.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you don't really have any idea how TANF works.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that you don't know how every state handles welfare. In my state their are no limits so long as you are not working and their are children in your home. Lifetime benefits so long as you have a child, regardless of the custody of said child.

It's not isolated here in the more rural areas...only in the cities.

How does one alleviate poverty.

The Democrats controlled the U.S. Senate for 57 of the last 78 years.

The Democrats controlled the U.S. House for 63 of the last 78 years.

What have all the poverty alleviating policies they enacted accomplished?

Poverty is the worst since the Great Depression. Democrats have only made things worse over the years. This really is fact. How'd that Super Majority work out for us? :(

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that you don't know how every state handles welfare.

When it comes to lifetime limits on benefits, sure I do, as those are established in federal law:

``(7) No assistance for more than 5 years.--`
`(A) In general.--A State to which a grant is made under section 403 shall not use any part of the grant to provide assistance to a family that includes an adult who has received assistance under any State program funded under this part attributable to funds provided by the Federal Government, for 60 months (whether or not consecutive) after the date the State program funded under this part commences, subject to this paragraph.​

Assuming that your Kansas City is the one on the Missouri side, your state government will say the same thing:

Receipt of cash assistance under Temporary Assistance is restricted to a lifetime limit of five years.

And if you want more detail, you can go into the Missouri Code of Regulations:

13 CSR 40-2.350 Time Limit for Receipt of Temporary Assistance

PURPOSE: This rule establishes a five (5)- year time limit on receipt of Temporary Assistance.
(1) Subject to the exceptions contained in this section, for the purpose of the administration of the Temporary Assistance Program, the Division of Family Services shall not provide or continue to provide assistance to or on behalf of—
(A) A family that includes an adult who has received assistance, whether provided in Missouri or another state or territory, or whether provided before or after the effective date of these rules, for a total of five (5) years (sixty (60) cumulative months, whether or not consecutive); and
(B) For purposes of the administration of subsection (1)(A) of this rule the Division of Family Services shall not count towards the five (5)-year (sixty (60)-month)-limit—
1. Any month of receipt of assistance by an individual when—
A. The individual is participating in a wage supplementation program; or
B. The individual was a minor and not the head-of-household nor married to the head-of-household; and​
2. Any month in which an adult lived in Indian country (as defined in section 1151 of Title 18, United States Code) or in a Native Alaskan Village if at least one thousand (1,000) individuals were living on the reservation or in the village and at least fifty per- cent (50%) of the adults living on the reservation or in the village were not employed.​
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (1)(A) of this rule the Division of Family Services has the option to extend assistance from the Temporary Assistance Pro- gram beyond the five (5)-year limit. The division may, but is not required to, extend such additional assistance to a family only on the basis of—
(A) Hardship; or
(B) The fact that the family includes someone who has been battered, or subject to extreme cruelty based on the fact that the individual has been subjected to—
1. Physical acts that resulted in, or threatened to result in, physical injury to the individual;
2. Sexual abuse;
3. Sexual activity involving a dependent child;
4. Being forced as the caretaker relative of a dependent child to engage in nonconsensual sexual acts or activities;
5. Threats of, or attempts at, physical or sexual abuse;
6. Mental abuse; or 7. Neglect or deprivation of medical care. (C) If the division opts to extend assistance to part of its caseload as permitted under this section, it will only determine whether or not the extension applies to a specific family once an adult in the family has received sixty (60) cumulative months of assistance.​

Missouri plays by the standard federal rules: 5 year lifetime limits, with the clock not ticking during participation in a short term work supplementation program, and the option of exempting up to 20% of the state's caseload for certain reasons (e.g. a battered woman). An adult can't receive lifetime benefits under TANF simply for having a child.

Now, maybe you've got some state-only program that doesn't receive any federal funding and that program offers unlimited benefits, I don't know. But federally-funded public assistance has time limits. TANF has a 60-month lifetime limit.

I say no. But then again I don't consider sitting at home drinking pop and beer while smoking cigarettes and watching the days of our lives work.

Doesn't matter if they do or not. That's not what welfare is.

Welfare is keeping them from being hungry and comin' down to your house looking for something to eat.
No. The government does that for them.
State and federal govt simply lifts the money from taxpayers without their consent.
Please do not start that nonsense about "lay and collect taxes". That is not the issue.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that you don't know how every state handles welfare.

When it comes to lifetime limits on benefits, sure I do, as those are established in federal law:

``(7) No assistance for more than 5 years.--`
`(A) In general.--A State to which a grant is made under section 403 shall not use any part of the grant to provide assistance to a family that includes an adult who has received assistance under any State program funded under this part attributable to funds provided by the Federal Government, for 60 months (whether or not consecutive) after the date the State program funded under this part commences, subject to this paragraph.​

Assuming that your Kansas City is the one on the Missouri side, your state government will say the same thing:

Receipt of cash assistance under Temporary Assistance is restricted to a lifetime limit of five years.

And if you want more detail, you can go into the Missouri Code of Regulations:

13 CSR 40-2.350 Time Limit for Receipt of Temporary Assistance

PURPOSE: This rule establishes a five (5)- year time limit on receipt of Temporary Assistance.
(1) Subject to the exceptions contained in this section, for the purpose of the administration of the Temporary Assistance Program, the Division of Family Services shall not provide or continue to provide assistance to or on behalf of—
(A) A family that includes an adult who has received assistance, whether provided in Missouri or another state or territory, or whether provided before or after the effective date of these rules, for a total of five (5) years (sixty (60) cumulative months, whether or not consecutive); and
(B) For purposes of the administration of subsection (1)(A) of this rule the Division of Family Services shall not count towards the five (5)-year (sixty (60)-month)-limit—
1. Any month of receipt of assistance by an individual when—
A. The individual is participating in a wage supplementation program; or
B. The individual was a minor and not the head-of-household nor married to the head-of-household; and​
2. Any month in which an adult lived in Indian country (as defined in section 1151 of Title 18, United States Code) or in a Native Alaskan Village if at least one thousand (1,000) individuals were living on the reservation or in the village and at least fifty per- cent (50%) of the adults living on the reservation or in the village were not employed.​
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (1)(A) of this rule the Division of Family Services has the option to extend assistance from the Temporary Assistance Pro- gram beyond the five (5)-year limit. The division may, but is not required to, extend such additional assistance to a family only on the basis of—
(A) Hardship; or
(B) The fact that the family includes someone who has been battered, or subject to extreme cruelty based on the fact that the individual has been subjected to—
1. Physical acts that resulted in, or threatened to result in, physical injury to the individual;
2. Sexual abuse;
3. Sexual activity involving a dependent child;
4. Being forced as the caretaker relative of a dependent child to engage in nonconsensual sexual acts or activities;
5. Threats of, or attempts at, physical or sexual abuse;
6. Mental abuse; or 7. Neglect or deprivation of medical care. (C) If the division opts to extend assistance to part of its caseload as permitted under this section, it will only determine whether or not the extension applies to a specific family once an adult in the family has received sixty (60) cumulative months of assistance.​

Missouri plays by the standard federal rules: 5 year lifetime limits, with the clock not ticking during participation in a short term work supplementation program, and the option of exempting up to 20% of the state's caseload for certain reasons (e.g. a battered woman). An adult can't receive lifetime benefits under TANF simply for having a child.

Now, maybe you've got some state-only program that doesn't receive any federal funding and that program offers unlimited benefits, I don't know. But federally-funded public assistance has time limits. TANF has a 60-month lifetime limit.

well its nice to see their are such laws. Unfortunately they are enforced about as well as our immigration laws. And if only the system wasn't abused to begin with. Now you have a lot of states left so ya better get busy.

Edit: I don't know what program that is your referring to. The only programs I'm familiar with are AFDC (cash) WIC (pregnant women) and food stamps. WIC is a necessary program but the others are severely abused.
Ps. Nice research on your part.

Last edited:
My answer is yes to some. If they worked all their lives and got into hard times then yes they earned.. If they never worked then NO they are earning the tax payers income. They should put people on welfare on some kind of work program like feeding the homeless, picking up trash on the side of the road . Not just collect money for nothing but that is my two cents worth

Not everyone that is poor draws welfare.

Not everyone that's poor is unemployed.

I think your definition of welfare needs to be laid out for us. Do you mean Social Security, Social Security Disability and S.S.I.?

I see it this way. If I work 20 to 40 yrs. paying into the S.S. fund out of my checks than become disabled, than I expect to get a check every month simply because It's my money.

I can place no negative labels on anyone in that situation. If someone works there entire life at a low paying job that does not allow them the luxury of saving money for retirement, than when they retire the check they get could very well put them at a poverty level. Once again they paid the money in and they should get it back.

As far as S.S.I. goes, this is a program that is income based. Those that qualify have to have less than 2000 dollars in assets, be below poverty level, and have a disability. With the economy as it is today, and the unemployment numbers as they are I or anyone else can't put any blame on the poor.

To assume that everyone on welfare is using this system is shallow. That's like the poor thinking that everyone that is not poor go to formal balls every night and dine with Rockefeller's.

In New York if you are a Democrat and really who isn't,cept for me and a few others it's just part of the contract....you are considered part of the club and when you cash that first welfare check they have a block party.

well its nice to see their are such laws. Unfortunately they are enforced about as well as our immigration laws. And if only the system wasn't abused to begin with. Now you have a lot of states left so ya better get busy.

You provide no evidence as to the alleged ‘abuse.’ And whether abused or not, that doesn’t mitigate the fact one must work to receive TANF.

Obviously you want to get rid of ‘welfare.’ What will you replace it with?

Or is your ‘plan’ we simply take care stepping over the dead bodies in the street.

Edit: I don't know what program that is your referring to. The only programs I'm familiar with are AFDC (cash) WIC (pregnant women) and food stamps. WIC is a necessary program but the others are severely abused.

AFDC is TANF, its name before the 1996 Welfare Reform law. Food Stamps aren’t ‘welfare,’ it’s a supplemental food program for the working poor administered by the USDA. WIC is a tiny program, with very limited benefits, also like food stamps a supplemental program only, providing no support in of itself.

New Topics

Forum List

Back