Do the poor earn their welfare?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I say no. But then again I don't consider sitting at home drinking pop and beer while smoking cigarettes and watching the days of our lives work.

in my state, if you sit at home drinking beer and smoking cigarettes you'll lose your benefits quite quickly. But states set their own standards, and if your state allows such things you should take it up with your elected officials.

Edited to add, however: Watching Days of Our Lives might not be work, but it's undoubtedly a form of inhumane torture.

I say no. But then again I don't consider sitting at home drinking pop and beer while smoking cigarettes and watching the days of our lives work.

No...but having to get up off the coach to get the mail..and then have your son drive you to the bank to deposit your money.....THATS work.

So yes, they earn it.

in my state, if you sit at home drinking beer and smoking cigarettes you'll lose your benefits quite quickly. But states set their own standards, and if your state allows such things you should take it up with your elected officials.

How does your state monitor it?

I am referring to welfare....not unemployment.

No one earns welfare...especially no account low life "women" who turn their bodies into baby factories...generating future criminals everyday.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Recipients have bi-weekly meetings with their case managers. They must meet a 20 hour work requirement to receive benefits after a short period in the program - I believe it's 2 months. If they can't meet the work requirement with 20 hours paid work, they are required to accept a job placement via the state - those placements are quasi-volunteer and a person's benefit can be no less than the amount of time they spend at that placement times the minimum wage. The agency where the person is working reports back to the case manager.

Other people have 35 hour work requirements, but I think that only applies if there are two parents in the home or something like that.

in my state at least, welfare recipients are monitored much better and more accurately than unemployed, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Recipients have bi-weekly meetings with their case managers. They must meet a 20 hour work requirement to receive benefits after a short period in the program - I believe it's 2 months. If they can't meet the work requirement with 20 hours paid work, they are required to accept a job placement via the state - those placements are quasi-volunteer and a person's benefit can be no less than the amount of time they spend at that placement times the minimum wage. The agency where the person is working reports back to the case manager.

Other people have 35 hour work requirements, but I think that only applies if there are two parents in the home or something like that.

in my state at least, welfare recipients are monitored much better and more accurately than unemployed, as far as I can tell.

So it seems to be assumed that a welfare recipient may be tempted to not want to do for themselves if on welfare.

Here in NY, the unemployment system puts you in a position where you have to prove you are seeking work to collect unemployment...Ihave people asking me for my card all the time so they can present it to unemployment. And yes, I see abuse all the time...but I wont go there right now...

But if the system(s) are set up to ensure people will not fall into the old "why work, the state will pay to support me" thing...then why do democrats like Chuck Schumer say it is crap when conservatives say such can happen?

Doesn't matter if they do or not. That's not what welfare is.

Welfare is keeping them from being hungry and comin' down to your house looking for something to eat.

Welfare is keeping them from being hungry and comin' down to your house looking for something to eat.

that ......and to help those that want to help themselves maintain some sort of dignity so they can hold their head high as they try to work things out for themselves.

I have no issue with welfare.

I was homeless many years ago. I was too proud to even consider getting help....but I know how it makes one feel...

No one should feel that way....Not in America as long as I can do something about it.

I think the point of my thread is lost to you. I was making fun of the ridiculousness of the other thread.

In the black-and-white world of Conservatopia, every rich person worked his fingers to the bone to make his way while every recipient of government assistance is a welfare cheat.

In the black-and-white world of Conservatopia, every rich person worked his fingers to the bone to make his way while every recipient of government assistance is a welfare cheat.

No sir. And if you truly believe what youjust said, then you are a victim of listening to way too many far left wing talking heads.

Most rich people work very hard to get where they are. Some sit on their asses and enjoy their inheritances.

Most people on Welfare would give their right arm to get off of it. Some sit on their asses and conjure up ways to enjoy it without having to lift a finger.

That is what conservatives believe.

No sir. And if you truly believe what youjust said, then you are a victim of listening to way too many far left wing talking heads.

Most rich people work very hard to get where they are. Some sit on their asses and enjoy their inheritances.

Most people on Welfare would give their right arm to get off of it. Some sit on their asses and conjure up ways to enjoy it without having to lift a finger.

The two red-fonted words must be swapped.

I think the point of my thread is lost to you. I was making fun of the ridiculousness of the other thread.

It was. I hadn't seen the other thread.

That is pure BS.

There are tens of thosuands of businesses started by and run by what are now rich people.
I am a 5%er....actually, a 2%er.....and I busted my ass to make things work...my boys? Both worked since they were 14....and through college.

You only hear about the Paris Hiltons...and assume all are like that.

That is pure BS.

There are tens of thosuands of businesses started by and run by what are now rich people.
I am a 5%er....actually, a 2%er.....and I busted my ass to make things work...my boys? Both worked since they were 14....and through college.

You only hear about the Paris Hiltons...and assume all are like that.

That may be true about some liberals, but no, not me. However I know enough of the sociological boons and barriers that cause the overwhelming majority of families to remain in the same income bracket generation... after generation... after generation.

The old "Born on 3rd and act like you hit a triple" suffices. Not that I necessarily mean it applies to you personally.

edit: It's not even to insinuate that the generationally wealthy don't work hard, either. Most of them probably do. But so does a truck driver. Do you really think a truck driver's son has the same upward mobility that a CEO's son has?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back