Do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?

If 85 individuals control more wealth than the bottom 50% of the whole planet's population, would murdering those 85 and seizing their assets then distributing it among the ~3.5 billion poorest be ethically justifiable?

Murdering? It depends on if those 85 can be shown to have benefited by providing aid and comfort or financial support to those directly or indirectly involved in modern slavery, aggressive war, planned shortages leading to starvation, assassination, manipulation of legal elections, and so forth. Yes, I can see instances where people could demand justice. Perhaps, not murder, but accountability.

I agree there would have to be due process to prove which people committed any kind of fraud, abusive oppression, or other wrongful actions where restitution is owed to poor workers they exploited enslaved or trafficked, for example. If a crime or violation has occurred, this could be investigated and if found legally could be negotiated for restitution.

however, instead of just giving money to the poor, as with the billions in vouchers given to Katrina evacuees without any management counseling, I woud recommend investing in longterm programs to build sustainable wealth and facilities for the workers to break out of poverty and economic oppression. otherwise, the cycle and division of rich and poor will merely repeat. there should be investment made in sustainable growth such as through microlending and business training, bulding schools and clinics and longterm development.

Well put. I wholeheartedly agree. I like your links, by the way.

Forum List

Back