Do the Marines turn screw-ups around?

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
My cousin is a great kid, but he has absolutely ZERO discipline. Instead of going to class the second half of his senior year, he screwed around and "texted" thousands of times with his friends each day. he failed his classes and cannot graduate this year. First off, does one need a diploma/GED to get into the Corps, and will the Marines make him responsible or are some "unmakable"?
I think he needs to get away from his parents and become an adult, but he isn't ready. I wonder if the Marines would "help" with that.

My cousin is a great kid, but he has absolutely ZERO discipline. Instead of going to class the second half of his senior year, he screwed around and "texted" thousands of times with his friends each day. he failed his classes and cannot graduate this year. First off, does one need a diploma/GED to get into the Corps, and will the Marines make him responsible or are some "unmakable"?
I think he needs to get away from his parents and become an adult, but he isn't ready. I wonder if the Marines would "help" with that.

The Military can take a few none diploma people but they vastly prefer High School completion.

The military helps some and others remain unchanged.

While it depends on their personal experience, I would say if he has no other options in life and no experience living on his own, it would be a good idea. Marines, Air Force, or (Gunny don't hate me) Navy, but not so much Army unless you are well adjusted already.

• Banned

The Military can take a few none diploma people but they vastly prefer High School completion.

The military helps some and others remain unchanged.

I think he's a good kid. He just needs to grow up. He needs discipline that his parents are too busy to give him. Do most recruits "grow up" if they haven't already?

Last edited:
no...he needs to learn to finish high school...not be forced into the marines or any other service...why in the hell was he allowed to fail his senior year? did his parents know or what?

• Banned
no...he needs to learn to finish high school...not be forced into the marines or any other service...why in the hell was he allowed to fail his senior year? did his parents know or what?

well I'm not saying force him in. His parents were too busy working 90 hours a week in a failing business to pay attention to him. He actually failed his first semester but only needed one semester of credits. But rather than kick his ass and nail him to his desk, they said "Get your work done. don't fail." I just wonder if he needs a drill sergeant on his ass for 13 weeks.

While it depends on their personal experience, I would say if he has no other options in life and no experience living on his own, it would be a good idea. Marines, Air Force, or (Gunny don't hate me) Navy, but not so much Army unless you are well adjusted already.

Why?

Why?

Hmm ... honestly I just know people who were in the army that weren't mentally stable and it didn't help ... so it's just opinion that they don't have as strict requirements. At least it didn't, not that up to date on what they take in and not now.

to add to the insanity, he just got an iphone for his birthday.

what the fuck you give a failing ass kid a ipod or what the fuck....you kick him in the ass....had they already mailed out invites.....i mean i was terrified to mail out the invites...my son only lacked one credit...sr english....but the teacher was hard.....she emailed all the parents of her students at the first of the semester informing them that the chances of the kids passing were slim if they didnt get on the band wagon....

i can understand in today's economy having to work as much as you can...but that still shows their parental skills were lacking.....you dont start parenting in the senior year of high school.

now with that said...my son went to the nearest college that would make me pay out of state tutition for 2 years then was ask not to return...seems they didnt grade him on partying.....then went to a community college..then transeferred into another real in state university where he did very well...the male mind is a hard thing to understand between 12 and 22....

At the time I retired, you had to have the HS diploma. I don't know how it is now. They can waiver a lot of stuff.

People usually take some of the discipline they learn in the military into later life. It isn't guaranteed. There is always a percentage that do nothing but chafe at the rules for their entire enlistments, so yeah, some just can't be changed.

well I'm not saying force him in. His parents were too busy working 90 hours a week in a failing business to pay attention to him. He actually failed his first semester but only needed one semester of credits. But rather than kick his ass and nail him to his desk, they said "Get your work done. don't fail." I just wonder if he needs a drill sergeant on his ass for 13 weeks.

If he needs one semester of credits then someone needs to kick him in the ass and make him go to summer school and finish. THAT would be the best choice for him because its one choice he'll live with the rest of his life. Someone just has to figure out a way to make him understand that.

just take a look at ex military on here....runs from nutcases to semi nutcases ...to in charge nutcases...hell the military aint no magic pill....but if you are really worried...go army...the reason....you can get out of the army if you dont care for it...they are such pussies now....i know now why my father was hated "the new man's army" as he called it....but if you enlist in the army and dont care for it...you can beg your way out....marines you go awol and do time...i will give them that...

but if you really want discipline...navy seals...

If you're good because you're punished if you're not, are you really growing up?

I suspect that much of the maturation we see in people who've gone into the military as young punks and returned as seeming grown-ups simply has to do with the fact that the kids are a few years older.

That being said, of course some people respond to strrict dicipline well and thrive in an environment where somebody is obviously in charge.

Some, of course, don't.

just take a look at ex military on here....runs from nutcases to semi nutcases ...to in charge nutcases...hell the military aint no magic pill....but if you are really worried...go army...the reason....you can get out of the army if you dont care for it...they are such pussies now....i know now why my father was hated "the new man's army" as he called it....but if you enlist in the army and dont care for it...you can beg your way out....marines you go awol and do time...i will give them that...

You dont know why your father hated the new mans army because you were never in it so shut up.

Army has plenty of discipline its all about what he is good at as per what service he should go in. Being in the Army I'd much rather have a screw up come to the Army where I can shove a mop in his hand force him to do his time stateside and smoke him whenever I see the most miniscule amount of dirt on the floor rather than send him to the marines where he will be in combat and get good men killed. The Army because of our size has room for screw ups and can place them in places where jobs that dont affect lives still can be done. It is a rarity to find that room in the marines.

You dont know why your father hated the new mans army because you were never in it so shut up.

Army has plenty of discipline its all about what he is good at as per what service he should go in. Being in the Army I'd much rather have a screw up come to the Army where I can shove a mop in his hand force him to do his time stateside and smoke him whenever I see the most miniscule amount of dirt on the floor rather than send him to the marines where he will be in combat and get good men killed. The Army because of our size has room for screw ups and can place them in places where jobs that dont affect lives still can be done. It is a rarity to find that room in the marines.

He's only a screwup right now because he needs discipline. With the proper training, he wouldn't be getting people killed.

Bwahahahah! Why do you say that about the Army? I can't understand how you can come up with that general of a statement. The Army is so VAST and the experiences necessarily differentiated, I don't understand how the advice can be valid.

Forum List

Back