Do road projects create jobs?

The working people are going to be bailing out the unions and there golden parachute pensions.
And the capital carried off by the CEOs and their Golden Parachutes? Is that as outrageous? A manager making 500, 600, 700 times the salary of a typical worker, this is supposed to be a good thing for the economy? Putting that much money into those few hands will start some massive flow of capital throughout the economy?

Put the most money into the most hands and watch that money circulate from hand to hand. That's what drives our economy~ consumer spending. Not consolidation of wealth.

Good work if you can get it, if you cant, railing about class envy is not a close second.
Life isnt fair, and the government isnt here to make it fair.

Good work if you can get it, if you cant, railing about class envy is not a close second.
Life isnt fair, and the government isnt here to make it fair.
But aren't you railing about class envy when you indict union workers?

Is this the sauce for the goose or the gander? I can't seem to tell the difference anymore!

And laws (the government) are supposed to make things "fair". That's what rights and the enforcement of them is all about.

Equal protection under the law, not equal stuff.

No that was not the point of the thread.
The thread was to point out how the government fails to really create any new jobs It may keep some people eemployment but by and large fails to create much real new employment .

The thread was to point out how the government fails to really create any new jobs It may keep some people eemployment but by and large fails to create much real new employment .

And that argument has not been won by your contention, has it? As I pointed out, it's vital to do something ideologues refuse to do~ look deeper.

When a highway project is proposed, it's not just the road pavers going to work. There are design engineers and resident inspectors, equipment suppliers, manufacturers and maintenance personnel, fuel, materials and service providers, businesses ready to open because the transportation infrastructure has improved.

Much real new employment.

In 2005 they got back $.78 fo every $1.

If you need those data here you go... The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxes Paid vs. Federal Spending Received by State, 1981-2005 Since 1985 California has paid in moe Federal tax dollars than they hve gotten back essentially subsidizing states like South Carolina that get back more than they paid in.

You have to wonder. If Blue states weren't subsidizing the Red states, perhaps their budgets would be balanced.

geeze, not another civil war. :razz:
A lot of those red states literally puts bread on your table.....we are a union, and it really sounds divisive to me with your post.

Illinois and California produce a lot of food. Corn? Not so much.

And that argument has not been won by your contention, has it? As I pointed out, it's vital to do something ideologues refuse to do~ look deeper.

When a highway project is proposed, it's not just the road pavers going to work. There are design engineers and resident inspectors, equipment suppliers, manufacturers and maintenance personnel, fuel, materials and service providers, businesses ready to open because the transportation infrastructure has improved.

Its the same people working from Caterpillar to permitting agencies to the roach coach, small businesses that cant survive the improvement close up shop if they are in the wrong place.

Its the same people working from Caterpillar to permitting agencies to the roach coach, small businesses that cant survive the improvement close up shop if they are in the wrong place.
I'm sure you've heard it said that for every soldier in the field pulling a trigger, there are ten soldiers in the rear providing support. The same is true for any large enterprise. Be it war or building a bridge, the ancillary support is massive.

I had a project down in deepest darkest West Virginia. My job was to assess properties for hazardous materials prior to demolition for a new highway. I had to live down there for six weeks. Someone had to have lodging for me. Meals. Laundry services.

I had to sample various materials and have them analyzed. Someone had to print the paperwork I used to submit samples. Someone had to ship them to the lab. someone had to run the analytics.

And I'm not even capable of understanding the ways the total project impacted the economy. Follow one drop of diesel fuel, one quart of hydraulic fluid, one spark plug and you'll see how this highway project stimulated the economies of towns not directly impacted by the new highway.

Take the long view, not the view presented by some partisan pundit, and you'll appreciate how the economy works in a macro sense.

I understand the impact across the board.
Your lodging and meal service did not pop up upon your arrival it benefited from you being there.
The service used to transporting the sample was not new.
The forms were printed by an established firm

seeing any pattern here?
periodically some new job may be created, but more often than not, not.

I understand the impact across the board.
Your lodging and meal service did not pop up upon your arrival it benefited from you being there.
The service used to transporting the sample was not new.
The forms were printed by an established firm

seeing any pattern here?
periodically some new job may be created, but more often than not, not.
Well, if giving tax breaks to millionaires is supposed to create jobs, aren't all those jobs already there too? Yacht builders, oriental carpet weavers, furriers, jewelers, ski resort operators?

We're waiting yet again for something to trickle down from these tax breaks. If we build a bridge or a road, we can see the effects immediately.

That is state DOT or local .
I have been to every state in the USA every province in Canada and quite a few foreign countries.
I know what fucked up roads look like, I walked them in Mexico Belize Nicaragua Honduras and more.

That is state DOT or local .
I have been to every state in the USA every province in Canada and quite a few foreign countries.
I know what fucked up roads look like, I walked them in Mexico Belize Nicaragua Honduras and more.
You know what fucked up pavement looks like. What about the bridges and overpasses?

And the federal interstate highway system. Not everything is state and local DOT. The Army Corps of Engineers is charged with building and maintaining locks and dams and the Intercoastal Waterway. From where I sit, the river looks just fine. I haven't been through a lock for years, but the river looks fine. Maybe the Corps of Engineers don't need the funding.

Fix the shit that needs fixing , Just dont pretend you are making jobs.
And we'll pretend that the WPA and the CCC did not create jobs in the 1930s. We'll pretend that building the railroads in the 19th century did not create jobs. We'll pretend that an order for 100 F-22s does not create jobs in aerospace and the space race did not create jobs and funding for libraries, schools, hospitals and housing project don't create jobs too.

We'll just sit here and wait for the rich to trickle down on us and create jobs. Ah! But we're not in Asia! That's where the rich are creating jobs. Good thing we subsidize them so well!

Forum List

Back