Do Republicans Think Corporations should pay no taxes?

Should corporations pay taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
If not, what tax on every dollar in profits is fair? And what do they pay now?

My belief is Republicans don't think corporations should pay any taxes. That's what their arguments suggest.

My belief is Republicans don't think corporations should pay any taxes. That's what their arguments suggest.

Well, I'm a registered Republican and I favor a sales tax instead of an income tax. I don't see taxing corporations as a good thing myself. Corporation create jobs. Were corporations not taxed and regulated so harshly, they might create more jobs from which personal income taxes could be gained. Corporation are also the source for many of the investments paying the retirement expenses of many of our elderly. A more friendly tax structure would tend to keep corporations from moving abroad and encourage their own reinvestment into capital equipment and expansion.

Well, I'm a registered Republican and I favor a sales tax instead of an income tax. I don't see taxing corporations as a good thing myself. Corporation create jobs. Were corporations not taxed and regulated so harshly, they might create more jobs from which personal income taxes could be gained. Corporation are also the source for many of the investments paying the retirement expenses of many of our elderly. A more friendly tax structure would tend to keep corporations from moving abroad and encourage their own reinvestment into capital equipment and expansion.

The USSC & IRS considers a corporation a person. A less friendly approach might be to place a very high tariff on any product made in nation XYZ, once made in the US. That would open the door for new entrepreneurs to build start up companies with US Labor here at home. Said money collected by the tariff to be distributed to the retirees harmed by said company. Also, the assets left by said company should be taken and sold by under an act of Congress and revenue from the sale of real property, furniture and equipment given to those whose jobs were shipped to XYZ.

In today's world where automation has replaced an incredible amount of labor your trickle down ideas are antiquated. What happens when a company uses their tax breaks to replace people with robots? It's a permanent tax loss for the government. The future looks bleak in this regard as automation stands to decimate the service sector as well.

All corporate profits get taxed because they all eventually wind up in the hands of people either via salaries, dividends, or even stock sales.

Corporations do not hoard profits if they did they would have no investors willing to buy their stocks.

Decreasing the tax burden on profits will mean not only will those costs not be passed on to the consumer but more money will eventually end up in the hands of individuals where it will then be taxed

In today's world where automation has replaced an incredible amount of labor your trickle down ideas are antiquated. What happens when a company uses their tax breaks to replace people with robots? It's a permanent tax loss for the government. The future looks bleak in this regard as automation stands to decimate the service sector as well.

Does taxing the corporation somehow stop the progress of automation?

The USSC & IRS considers a corporation a person. A less friendly approach might be to place a very high tariff on any product made in nation XYZ, once made in the US. That would open the door for new entrepreneurs to build start up companies with US Labor here at home. Said money collected by the tariff to be distributed to the retirees harmed by said company. Also, the assets left by said company should be taken and sold by under an act of Congress and revenue from the sale of real property, furniture and equipment given to those whose jobs were shipped to XYZ.

Well, you'd probably only be able to seize the assets of the company office(s) and distribution within the United States since you stated the products were manufactured elsewhere. I am all for placing tariffs on foreign products if doing so will give American based corporations at minimum a level playing field.

A sales tax is detrimental to consumption. That's not helpful to corporations.

Not at all, the argument that increased jobs and the income taxes offset corporate tax cuts can no longer be used because we are losing more jobs to automation than any possible trickle down effect could create.

You want to talk fair? Who has the highest corporate tax rate in the world? How fair is it that China and India are not subject to the level of environmental and other regulations that the US is subjected to? If you define corporations like the a IRS does, a single construction worker can set himself up as a corporation. How much taxes and regulations are you people going to stick him with?

Profits are taxed two times in succession. Once when the profits are generated, and a second time when dividends are paid to the owners. It's useless to focus on just one part of the equation. Only a stupid regressive liberal illiterate in economics would do that.

RepubliKans don't think, they emote.
Projection, look it up. Plus your spelling is puerile, I have no idea what it's even supposed to mean, your emotions get the best of you.

You want to talk fair? Who has the highest corporate tax rate in the world? How fair is it that China and India are not subject to the level of environmental and other regulations that the US is subjected to? If you define corporations like the a IRS does, a single construction worker can set himself up as a corporation. How much taxes and regulations are you people going to stick him with?
We have enough loopholes and dodges that multinationals often pay almost nothing in our so-called highest tax rate in the world.

Not at all, the argument that increased jobs and the income taxes offset corporate tax cuts can no longer be used because we are losing more jobs to automation than any possible trickle down effect could create.
What doe trickle down mean to you? And where is your evidence that lowering corporate taxes doesn't help? And no, automation isn't the reason jobs go overseas.

Then learn how to repair and/or program the machines. You are not going to stop the progress in automation.

As much as any individual earning the same amount of money (profit)....the small corp is an individual earning money through his own business, he should pay the same taxes on his earnings as a person earning money through working for someone else.... the small corp already gets a huge break through all of the Business write offs he gets to take, that an individual worker does not get!!!!

We have enough loopholes and dodges that multinationals often pay almost nothing in our so-called highest tax rate in the world.

Then vote for Clinton and continue to see our corporations flee the country and live with a stagnate economy. You have that choice.

As much as any individual earning the same amount of money (profit)....the small corp is an individual earning money through his own business, he should pay the same taxes on his earnings as a person earning money through working for someone else.... the small corp already gets a huge break through all of the Business write offs he gets to take, that an individual worker does not get!!!!

And that small corporation or company employees the most workers. Continue to raise their taxes and regulate them out of business.

Corporations do not hoard profits if they did they would have no investors willing to buy their stocks.

Decreasing the tax burden on profits will mean not only will those costs not be passed on to the consumer but more money will eventually end up in the hands of individuals where it will then be taxed
Corporations do hoard profits. They use some of them to buy back shares to artificially support share prices and to pay dividends to shareholders.

US corporations are sitting on hundreds of billions of dollars of hoarded cash right now. They could use those funds to invest in their businesses, but they won't because there's no demand present to justify that. And that's because too many people in this country can't afford to buy the products they produce.

If they were to spend some of that cash by raising employee compensation, put that money to work into the economy by putting into their employees' paychecks, then demand for their goods will grow and they can use more of that cash to expand their enterprises to meet that demand

Everybody wins.

Decrease the corporate tax, or any tax, simply accelerates the growth of our debt. Cutting taxes doesn't reduce spending because they are no longer related (not since Ronald Reagan legitimized the concept of cutting taxes and then borrowing massive amounts to pay for the cost of government).

And we know that we can't cut spending because since the dawn of time we never have, no matter who controlled congress, who was in the White House, or what party made the most noise about cutting spending. It has never been done because it cannot be done. We spend it one way when one party is in power and we spend it a different way when the other party is in power and the only thing they both do is borrow, borrow, borrow to pay for it because our tax revenue is insufficient to pay for what we spend.

We know that it's impossible to cut spending significantly or for any significant period, so cutting taxes has but one effect - accelerate the growth of our already humongous debt.

You want even more debt? Reduce corporate taxes for the 40% of corporations who pay corporate taxes (the other 60% are structured as pass-through corporations and don't pay corporate tax).

Concerned about the debt? Then raise taxes, starting with those at the top who have benefited the most from thirty-plus years of unaffordably low tax rates. It's time to share some of those politically motivated gifts with the rest of the country for a change. We need the revenue more than they do.

We always have.

Forum List

Back