Do regulations curtail job growth?

Do regulations curtail job growth?

Generalize much?

Seriously are you as stupid as the question you just posted?

You can't possibly be that dumb.

It's a pretty simple question, actually. How is it dumb? You can't even answer the question, as if you have room to talk.:eusa_hand:

Come on Billy...some things are just common sense. The percentage of business spending on "compliance" keeps going up as we keep adding additional regulations. Most large companies in the US now have designated departments who do nothing but make sure the company is compliant with all the rules and regulations demanded of them by government agencies. That's an expense...a HUGE expense but one those companies have to bear because the penalties for not being in compliance can be so crippling to the bottom line. It's also one more expense that a new company has to budget for. More expense...more start up costs. More start up costs...less start ups. Less start ups...less jobs created.

I visited the bottling plant at Bardstown KY for Heaven Hill Bourbon. On the line there is one station with at least one person on it. Its purpose is to stick the "pregnant women should not drink alcohol" warning label on the bottles. They have one full time person just for this task. The reason is that every bottle without that label gets them fined $5k.
So that is one person's wages/benefits that could have been used for many other purposes, like increasing everyone else's wages and benefits. Multiply this stupid reg by thousands of similar examples and we see the waste and inefficiency such regs brings. And I doubt those labels have stopped a single woman from drinking while pregnant.

Come on Billy...some things are just common sense. The percentage of business spending on "compliance" keeps going up as we keep adding additional regulations. Most large companies in the US now have designated departments who do nothing but make sure the company is compliant with all the rules and regulations demanded of them by government agencies. That's an expense...a HUGE expense but one those companies have to bear because the penalties for not being in compliance can be so crippling to the bottom line. It's also one more expense that a new company has to budget for. More expense...more start up costs. More start up costs...less start ups. Less start ups...less jobs created.

Just because something sounds like it makes sense, it doesn't mean it's true. Has the cost of doing business gone up? Yes. Has it significantly affected economic growth? No it has not.

Well small business owners disagree. The polls show this. So this "economist" like so many others,is just full of sheet.

No, says a conservative economist:

Do regulations curtail job growth? | Decisions Based on Evidence

the number of layoffs nationwide caused by government regulation is minuscule and shows no evidence of getting worse during the Obama administration.
This source also says no:

Do Regulations Really Kill Jobs Overall? Not So Much - ProPublica

Here is what the Bureau of Labor Statistics says:

Table 2. Reason for layoff: Extended mass layoff events, separations, and initial claimants for unemployment insurance, private nonfarm sector, selected quarters, 2010 and 2011

I also read a few articles that claimed gov regulations do in inhibit job growth, but what was interesting about all of the ones i read was that they were opinionated. None of them had any statisitics to go along with their claims. :eusa_whistle:

Hey, I'm open though. If someone can show me some concrete evidence that regulations SIGNIFICANTLY do inhibit job growth. then we can have a balanced discussion on it. It very well may be true that it is harder to start a business these days because of gov regulations, but the data above speaks for itself.

Add this conservative to your list:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/opinion/brooks-the-wonky-liberal.html?_r=2&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

During the final year of their administrations, presidents generally issue tons of new rules. Nineteen-eighty-eight, under Ronald Reagan, 1992, under George H.W. Bush and 2008, under George W. Bush, were monster years for new regulations. In his first years, Obama has not increased regulatory costs more than Reagan and the Bushes did in their final years.

Last edited:
No, says a conservative economist:

Do regulations curtail job growth? | Decisions Based on Evidence

the number of layoffs nationwide caused by government regulation is minuscule and shows no evidence of getting worse during the Obama administration.

This source also says no:

Do Regulations Really Kill Jobs Overall? Not So Much - ProPublica

Here is what the Bureau of Labor Statistics says:

Table 2. Reason for layoff: Extended mass layoff events, separations, and initial claimants for unemployment insurance, private nonfarm sector, selected quarters, 2010 and 2011

I also read a few articles that claimed gov regulations do in inhibit job growth, but what was interesting about all of the ones i read was that they were opinionated. None of them had any statisitics to go along with their claims. :eusa_whistle:

Hey, I'm open though. If someone can show me some concrete evidence that regulations SIGNIFICANTLY do inhibit job growth. then we can have a balanced discussion on it. It very well may be true that it is harder to start a business these days because of gov regulations, but the data above speaks for itself.

Our government charging a business to dump iodine with "government approved" private sector contractors hinders our economy... Thats only an example...

Well small business owners disagree. The polls show this. So this "economist" like so many others,is just full of sheet.

What are you, a child? If you're going to swear, swear.

Sheet? It's shit.

Let me guess, you say "oh fudge" too?

Banking in Canada is widely considered the most efficient and safest banking system in the world,[1] ranking as the world's soundest banking system for the past three years according to reports by the World Economic Forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banking_in_Canada
Canadian financial institutions operate under much stricter government regulations but they have a stable real estate market and a banking system ranked 1st in the world.

Last edited:

Sheet? It's shit.

Can you not handle people not swearing?

I don't trust a man who doesn't curse.

If you're gonna say 'sheet', might as well say shit. Same thing. Take responsibility.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1NUposXVQ]The N Word[/ame]

Last edited:

Sheet? It's shit.

Can you not handle people not swearing?

Your fucking intent was there, however you just can't fucking swear properly...

You say "sheesh" around kids...

Sheesh is a child friendly synonym for shit....

Economists are a dime a dozen. Go with what small business owners are saying. And they're saying Big Government is killing them with too many regulations.

So eliminate those regulations that are hurting small business.... but only for small business. They are there for a reason... and more often than not, it's Big business taking advantage of people for their own gain.

Small Business is also hurting from the 2+ Trillion Dollars that are being hoarded in an attempt to make Obama a one term president.

Forum List

Back