Do Raccoons Make Good Pets?

Eightball

Oct 13, 2004
Well, Do they?

elf.jpg

:laugh:

No, Raccoons do not make good pets. Even if you get one that seems to be tame, it isn't. It is tolerating you to get what it needs in life. But one day it will wake up on the wrong side of the bed and there goes your relationship with it. The next step will be will having friends over for bar-b-qued Raccoon. My friend had one for years that they treated like a house cat and was very lovable. One day she reached down to give it something to eat and it decided it wanted her arm instead. She nearly bled to death before they could get her to the hospital. They called the Wildlife & Fisheries and they came and got it. In most places there are laws against owning wild animals also.

Merlin said:
No, Raccoons do not make good pets. Even if you get one that seems to be tame, it isn't. It is tolerating you to get what it needs in life. But one day it will wake up on the wrong side of the bed and there goes your relationship with it.

Ummmmm - what's your point? Sounds pretty much like married life to me. (sure hope the wife doesn't read this)

Any Frank Zappa fans in the house, besides me?

What album cover does that remind you of?

Merlin1047 said:
Ummmmm - what's your point? Sounds pretty much like married life to me. (sure hope the wife doesn't read this)

My post was intended for humor more than anything else.

Actually, I live in an urban setting in the San Francisco Bay Area(San Jose/Silicon Valley), and our neighborhood is overrun with Raccoons. I have a little fish pond in my tiny backyard filled with gold fish, and me and the Raccoons have had a going war for the last 10 years over the spoils in the pond. I've cage-trapped them and hauled them to the mountains, used motion detector sprinklers, and other useless methods. Finally after all these years of losing my prized pond fish, I found a solution. I have tomato-wire fencing stretched across the pond. The wire mesh is large enough to not mess up the aesthetics of the pond, the plants grow right up through the mesh, yet the pesk Raccoons can't jump in the pond and chase the wary fish around. They can walk on the mesh and reach their paws down into the water and try to grab a fish, but it really limits their luck.

Now my fish are getting to grow up nice and big and unmolested! :thup:

musicman said:
I'll admit it - I'm a sick pup!

In the case of Neverland, the Fox is already in the Hen House, so the mesh won't help. :poke:

"I get so tired of sneakin' around just to get to your back door

I crawl past the garbage and your momma jumps out screamin' don't come back no more - I can't take it!

My guitar wants to kill your momma!"

Forum List

Back