CDZ Do people's political leanings change over time?

I separate idealism from existential reality as much as I can, or at least try to. My 'Ideal' political economic philosophy is Henry George's, but I also realize that particular philosophy has zero chance of ever taking off, as most people have never heard of him, for one, and far fewer than that have ever read him, for two, and for three, his philosophy requires a high standard of morality, something which most Americans actually abhor and detest,, so I go with paleo-liberalism in the vein of LBJ/Humphrey, incremental ism, tempered and balanced by a strong bias towards Patrick Moynihan's brand of political realism. Our current 'system' no longer produces such people, and it shows in the results over the last 30-40 years.

Americans are obviously happy with the new status quo and runaway elitist corruption, because they keep voting for it in droves and in both 'Parties', so I don't see why so many are complaining; our government and politicians actually do represent American culture and most Americans and their values. It's a perfect mirror for looking at what's hot and what's not.
I think people are really in denial. Once you define your reality most people cant take it when they discover that reality may be erroneous. They then get to work proving they were right which is much more important to them than being wrong and correcting their views.

I think people are really in denial. Once you define your reality most people cant take it when they discover that reality may be erroneous. They then get to work proving they were right which is much more important to them than being wrong and correcting their views.

So true.

So vapid. And self-serving.

• Did you even click on the link?
  • Do you not see how the content there illustrates the point Asclepias made and that I emboldened?
  • Do you not see how it amplifies his point by showing that the the phenomenon can transcend the personal level and become institutional? Do you not see how the content at the link shows (in very summarized way, although given that you have several degrees, I'd guess that just seeing the title, you'd know of the major details of the story told by content at the link I provided, even if others may not be familiar with it) how the dominant political institutions and powers of the time, at a great investment of resources, invented ever more complex theories and inhibited intellectual advancement just to prove they were right rather than to determine objectively whether they were right or wrong?
  • What selfish aim do you imagine I have for sharing that information?

So true.

• Do you not see how the content there illustrates the point Asclepias made and that I emboldened?
  • Do you not see how it amplifies his point by showing that the the phenomenon can transcend the personal level and become institutional? Do you not see how the content at the link shows (in very summarized way, although given that you have several degrees, I'd guess that just seeing the title, you'd know of the major details of the story told by content at the link I provided, even if others may not be familiar with it) how the dominant political institutions and powers of the time, at a great investment of resources, invented ever more complex theories and inhibited intellectual advancement just to prove they were right rather than to determine objectively whether they were right or wrong?

"most people cant take it when they discover that reality may be erroneous. They then get to work proving they were right which is much more important to them than being wrong and correcting their views"

Do you include yourself with "most people?" Of course not, you believe that you are always right and they are just too stubborn to realize it. I am not surprised that you are unable to recognize the self-serving nature of these statement.

P.S. "Selfish" is not a synonym for "self-serving."

So true.

P.S. "Selfish" is not a synonym for "self-serving."

You are right. They are not synonymous. My word choice was sloppy.

Forum List

Back