Do People Lie More On the Internet?

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
In 1996, University of Virginia psychologist Bella M. DePaulo published a landmark study on lying that revealed an ugly truth about humans: Everyone fibs left and right.

DePaulo asked participants keep a daily dairy and jot down who they spoke to, what they said and whether they were telling the truth or lying, even during the most casual interactions.

The results? People dropped an average of two lies every day.

Snip...

"Most people believe that given the opportunity, everything else equal, people will lie more online than they would face-to-face," said Jeff Hancock, an associate professor of communications at Cornell University who specializes in information technology and deception.
Do People Lie More On the Internet? - ABC News

Do People Lie More On the Internet?

As a general rule, people will lie more often if they think they will not get caught.

That is just a general rule.

• Banned
I agree with the part that in dealing with people face to face you can sort of rely on non verbal cues. So, you can judge someones trustworthiness.

the less deception signals we can see...the less we trust. Kind of obvious in internet interactions,but makes you wonder how people can make connections with online posters sometimes. Using intuition maybe?

Last edited:
I agree with the part that in dealing with people face to face you can sort of rely on non verbal cues. So, you can judge someones trustworthiness.

the less deception signals we can see...the less we trust. Kind of obvious in internet interactions,but makes you wonder how people can make connections with online posters sometimes. Using intuition maybe?

Proper speling and advanced vocabularie plus a cute avatar and generous emoticons.

That was a joke....

Proper speling and advanced vocabularie plus a cute avatar and generous emoticons.

That was a joke....

and I believe you ! :lol:

In 1996, University of Virginia psychologist Bella M. DePaulo published a landmark study on lying that revealed an ugly truth about humans: Everyone fibs left and right.

DePaulo asked participants keep a daily dairy and jot down who they spoke to, what they said and whether they were telling the truth or lying, even during the most casual interactions.

Snip...

"Most people believe that given the opportunity, everything else equal, people will lie more online than they would face-to-face," said Jeff Hancock, an associate professor of communications at Cornell University who specializes in information technology and deception.

Oh, crap. Okay, you caught me. I'm not really a platypus, but don't tell anybody. :eusa_shhh:

• Banned

Snip...

Oh, crap. Okay, you caught me. I'm not really a platypus, but don't tell anybody. :eusa_shhh:

Your secret is safe with me. :eusa_whistle:

I'm innocent I tells Ya..

No .. I'm not to big on lying...but I will occasionally...

No .. I'm not to big on lying...but I will occasionally...

No .. I'm not to big on lying...but I will occasionally by not telling the whole truth...

No .. I'm not to big on lying...but I will occasionally by not telling the whole truth...

Snip...

Thanks. If that secret ever got out, the entire world would be in danger.

BTW, where is that NASA artist who posted a lot of stuff a few weeks ago? Reading his posts, you'd think he was a top scientist working for NASA. It was kind of funny when he'd post astronomical information and then talk about his "300 power telescope." (Any amateur astronomer can tell you what's wrong with that statement.)

BTW, where is that NASA artist who posted a lot of stuff a few weeks ago? Reading his posts, you'd think he was a top scientist working for NASA. It was kind of funny when he'd post astronomical information and then talk about his "300 power telescope." (Any amateur astronomer can tell you what's wrong with that statement.)

He sure had a lot of people falling at his feet. :lol:

Not me, saw that dude a mile away.

Not me, saw that dude a mile away.

and I'm proud of you .

Bodecea? Bodecea?? Bodecea?.......Where are you Body?............We have a thread that directly pertains to you.........Come on Bodecea, come out and plaaaaaay!

And that famous equation he posted. Someone brought my attention his post and asked me if it was just a bunch of mumbo jumbo. It was and has brought a lot of laughs since then from fellow colleagues. Things go viral so fast on the internet, it's probably gotten back to NASA by now. Ooops.

And that famous equation he posted. Someone brought my attention his post and asked me if it was just a bunch of mumbo jumbo. It was and has brought a lot of laughs since then from fellow colleagues. Things go viral so fast on the internet, it's probably gotten back to NASA by now. Ooops.
I remember that.

What got me was his sig line, with his name and supposed company...........I smell a college freshy, workin at Der Wienershnitzel, with dreams of glory and grandeur.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back