"Do Not Ask What Good We Do"

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
9 Revelations From Robert Draper

In Do Not Ask What Good We Do: Inside the U.S. House of Representatives, Robert Draper explores the strange fantastical world of the 112th Congress. Elected in the GOP wave of 2010, 87 freshmen Republicans, many of them Tea-Party-backed political novices, caused endless mischief for party leaders during the debt ceiling struggle. Draper chronicles the adjustment of these new members and the House of Representatives’ adjustment to them as Congress’s approval ratings plummeted to new lows. The book is not all partisan strife and grimness, though—there’s always Anthony Weiner for comic relief. Here are the highlights from Draper’s gripping and fast-paced narrative.

Ordered, can't wait to dive in.

• Banned
The dinner lasted nearly four hours. They parted company almost giddily. The Republicans had agreed on a way forward:

• Go after Geithner. (And indeed Kyl did, the next day: ‘Would you answer my question rather than dancing around it—please?’)
  • Show united and unyielding opposition to the president’s economic policies. (Eight days later, Minority Whip Cantor would hold the House Republicans to a unanimous No against Obama’s economic stimulus plan.)
  • Begin attacking vulnerable Democrats on the airwaves. (The first National Republican Congressional Committee attack ads would run in less than two months.)
  • Win the spear point of the House in 2010. Jab Obama relentlessly in 2011. Win the White House and the Senate in 2012.

That's the plan, Stan! And everybody could see it. Nobody would admit it, of course. But it was obvious.

Robert Draper: Obama Never Had A Chance

The dinner lasted nearly four hours. They parted company almost giddily. The Republicans had agreed on a way forward:

• Go after Geithner. (And indeed Kyl did, the next day: ‘Would you answer my question rather than dancing around it—please?’)
  • Show united and unyielding opposition to the president’s economic policies. (Eight days later, Minority Whip Cantor would hold the House Republicans to a unanimous No against Obama’s economic stimulus plan.)
  • Begin attacking vulnerable Democrats on the airwaves. (The first National Republican Congressional Committee attack ads would run in less than two months.)
  • Win the spear point of the House in 2010. Jab Obama relentlessly in 2011. Win the White House and the Senate in 2012.

That's the plan, Stan! And everybody could see it. Nobody would admit it, of course. But it was obvious.

Robert Draper: Obama Never Had A Chance

Newsflash: in a democratic political system political parties are supposed to oppose each other.

Newsflash: In a democratic political system, the big boys are supposed to COMPROMISE and WORK TOGETHER.

THEY HAVE......

We have 16 trillion in debt to prove it.

Now if the lowlife democrats would get off their collective asses. We might be able to address debt.

Instead the dem compromise is ANY CUT IS EXTREME.

Thanks!

You know; the only time I see that show is when somebody links me? I love Stewart, Colbert and Maddow, but I only see them if somebody else points 'em out.

Forum List

Back