Do it for the children

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
I’ve compiled a partial list of things I think parents should do for their children, or let their children do as they are growing up. Please add to it.

Let them witness a live birth.
Even if it’s a family pet, the cat having kittens or dog having puppies. Live birth is an incredible event

Take them camping.
No electronics, not phones, no TV or video games, just nature for a few days. And while you are doing that,

Take them fishing
Teach them how to catch, clean and cook fish over a campfire. And cook other stuff over a campfire.

Take them to the beach.
Everybody should see the ocean.

Take a vacation where you have to fly to get there.
Everybody should have the opportunity to be herded like cattle onto an airplane, and give them the window seat.

Let them witness the power of guns.
Personal firearms like a rifle, handgun and shotgun. Even if you are against guns, take them to a firing range and let them see other people fire a gun.

Teach them to drive.
I mean really teach them, not just the standard driving techniques, take them out and let them learn how to do donuts, learn what happens when you go 80 mph and try and lock up your brakes, learn what happens when you hit the brakes on ice or snow, real life type stuff.

Have an alcoholic beverage with them.
Do this before they turn 21, let them get drunk for their first time in the safety of your company. Record it if you can, so you can prove loss of motor skills to them. If they want to drink enough to get sick, let them do that to so they know what that’s like, but let it be their decision.

Let them cut class when they are in high school.
I don’t mean an organized Jr or Sr ditch day. It’s best if they already have a driver’s license and they can cut class and screw off for the day with their friends. Don’t write an excuse note for them missing school.

Make them cut class one day.
Schedule a day off from work and don’t tell them. In the morning, don’t send them to school. Take the day and just do something they like. Do write an excuse note for this one.

Go have lunch with them at school.
This is best done in primary school, at that age, they are proud of you and want to introduce you to their friends. Alternatively, arrange with the school in advance to take them off campus for lunch.

Let them do the grocery shopping one week.
Give your teen the weekly grocery money and let them pick out the groceries for the week, no restrictions. This is even better if they have to prepare the meals or at least decide what’s served every meal.

Take them out for a really fancy over priced dinner.
Pick one of the best places in the city, if you don’t live in a city with fancy over-priced restaurants, drive to the nearest one. Afterwards, take them to see a real orchestra or nice play.

Go big on a milestone birthday.
You have to plan ahead and save for this, but give them something big for the 18th or 21st birthday, something they haven’t done before. A trip to Las Vegas or New York or Hawaii or Europe or a cruise. Something that creates a life long memory for them.

Get them a pet.
This depends on what kind of pet you have the facilities to accommodate and what kind they want. Dog, cat, hamster, snake, ferret, parakeet, something. It teaches responsibility, and eventually the pet will die, so they learn about death to.

Take them on a road trip.
This can potentially be done on a shoestring budget, stay in crappy motels or campgrounds. Spend at least 3 hours each day driving to the next destination; don’t stay in the same place more than one night. See America. Depending on where you live and what is within driving distance, you can find something; What's New - Road trips, vacation sights. Roadside America

Tell them you love them.
Everyday.

Take them to a science museum. Let them see what makes this country the leader all around the world.

Take them to the observatory and learn about the heavens (the real one).

Read to them.

Build an electronic project or a computer together.

It's not all about camping and guns.

Take them to a science museum. Let them see what makes this country the leader all around the world.

Take them to the observatory and learn about the heavens (the real one).

Read to them.

Build an electronic project or a computer together.

It's not all about camping and guns.

Or cutting class and going to the orchestra or theater.

Thanks for contributing, those are good ones to.

Last edited:
I remember cutting school and we went to Toy R Us. :lol:

My parents did most of that stuff with me, I fired my first gun about a year and half ago, I think I still have the bruise. Of course it was an AK47. :lol:

Stay up late, late, late and watch movies or play games.

Turn them on to all genres of music, so they are exposed to more than Top 40 Crap

Show them how cool books are-read the same book at the same time (my daughter and I do this quite a bit, then talk about it after)

Show them it's ok to sing in the car while driving, and sing loud!

Hikes in the woods that don't have paths

Buy them a journal and let them do whatever they want with it. (She draws and writes poems and stories in hers)

Take off in the car with no destination, even for a few hours, on the back roads (last time we did this we ended up somehow near Bloomington, IN without knowing it)

Turn off your AC and roll down your windows, open your sunroof, and let the wind get your hair messy while driving

Make a fort in the living room and sleep out there with them

A friend told me this once. Give your kids a dads day once a month, let them chose the restaurant and what movie you take them to. Don't complain if it's always the same restaurant and movie, just let your kids enjoy their time with you doing what they want.

A friend told me this once. Give your kids a dads day once a month, let them chose the restaurant and what movie you take them to. Don't complain if it's always the same restaurant and movie, just let your kids enjoy their time with you doing what they want.

Or a mom's day.

Take them to a funeral of a close friend or a relative. Teach them that death is also a part of life that everyone must face one day.

put your hand on their head and let them try to hit you. I did tonight for the first time because my son kept trying to head butt my arm. :lol:

I am currently reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to my 4 year old.

Most of the books we read him are 3-5 minute books with pictures...but I wanted to go one step further.

We read 40 pages tonight and he was entralled...even though there are really no pictures. I left off where Charlie just got the Golden Ticket. HOW EXCITING!!!

what if every day is mom's day. ;)

Letting them pick the restaurant every night is spoiling them.

:lol: I meant like I have him all the time and there is no dad's day.

I also think every kid should know what chinese torture feels like. :D

Moms don't have a monopoly on single parent-hood.

Do you hug and kiss him after you torture him? Or is your intent to raise a psychopath with absolutely no concept of warped love?

what if every day is mom's day. ;)

Letting them pick the restaurant every night is spoiling them.

:lol: I meant like I have him all the time and there is no dad's day.

I also think every kid should know what chinese torture feels like. :D

Do you ever waterboard him?

Some people feel that waterboarding is torture, while others consider it to be an advanced interrogation technique.

I think of it as an exercise to help a child build mental toughness and to help them learn how to more efficiently hold their breath when swimming long distances.

My 16-year-old is a school nut. I have ordered her that she WILL participate in Senior Skip Day. She thinks it's horrible. :eusa_hand:

Teach them responsibility. Give them chores to do, (and I am not talking about homework from school) the same each week. Make sure they do them right, if not, make them do them again. Oh, ya, pay them for the chores, but not too much.

Last edited:
Teach them responsibility. Give them chores to do, the same each week. Make sure they do them right, if not, make them do them again. Oh, ya, pay them for the chores, but not too much.

I agree...except I don't pay mine for chores. I believe "regular" chores are part of daily responsibilites and contributing to the family. I come up with "extra" chores or jobs that are out of the norm and then pay for those.

Teach them responsibility. Give them chores to do, the same each week. Make sure they do them right, if not, make them do them again. Oh, ya, pay them for the chores, but not too much.

I agree...except I don't pay mine for chores. I believe "regular" chores are part of daily responsibilites and contributing to the family. I come up with "extra" chores or jobs that are out of the norm and then pay for those.

Much better than just giving them an allowance and not making them work for it. It also keeps them away from computer games for a time.

Forum List

Back