Do Iraqis Value Freedom?

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
TOWARD A MORAL FOREIGN POLICY
By Cal Thomas, Jewish World Review
November 18, 9004

In nominating Condoleezza Rice to replace Colin Powell as Secretary of State, President Bush has chosen someone who is a kindred spirit. The two not only subscribe to the same religious beliefs, they also believe that America has been commissioned to share its freedom with the rest of the world.
Natan Sharansky, the former Soviet dissident and current Israeli government official, told me the president invited him to the White House a few days ago to discuss Sharansky's new book, "The Case for Democracy: The Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror," which he said the president had nearly finished and Dr. Rice was also reading. The book is a powerful argument for spreading freedom around the world as the ultimate weapon against totalitarian societies and fundamentalist movements.
Sharansky states his premise in the introduction: "I am convinced that all people desire to be free. I am convinced that freedom anywhere will make the world safer everywhere. And I am convinced that democratic nations, led by the United States, have a critical role to play in expanding freedom around the globe."

Dr. Rice and the president believe in the same doctrine about freedom. An insight to her thinking is found in a Feb. 6, 2003, address she gave at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington. As President Bush listened intently, Dr. Rice spoke of struggle, from her days in segregated Alabama (some of her friends were killed in the Birmingham church bombing in 1963), to the battle against terrorism in the aftermath of Sept. 11, 2001. She said that directing the energies from our struggles toward the good of others is something that channels the negatives of pain, bad memories and a sense of unfairness toward a beneficial objective.

"America emerged from the losses of September 11th as a nation that is not only stronger, but hopefully better and more generous," she said. "Tragedy made us appreciate our freedom more — and more conscious of the fact that God gives all people, everywhere, the right to be free. It made us more thankful for our own prosperity, for life, and health — and more aware that all people everywhere deserve the opportunity to build a better future."
This philosophy, or faith, is what motivates the Bush Administration's policy in Iraq, Afghanistan and throughout the Middle East and the world. It is about as noble a purpose as one can have — sharing freedom with others who do not have it.

There is an important distinction between the freedom desired by Southern blacks in the days of Dr. Rice's youth — and nations under Soviet domination in the years of Natan Sharansky's imprisonment — and the freedom the administration wants to offer the Middle East. Southern blacks and millions in Eastern Europe and Russia yearned to breath free. It is arguable whether those throughout the Arab and Muslim world want our kind of freedom, which they see as decadence. Most of them appear to regard what they consider their spiritual freedom as having greater value than the political freedom we enjoy.

Sharansky pays tribute to skeptics who believe in the doctrine of freedom as a divine right, and questions whether that part of the world in which we are now engaged resembles Eastern Europe during Soviet domination: "While democracy has spread across the globe, the Middle East remains a sea of tyranny. There are 22 Arab states and not one of them is democratic, even by the weakest of definitions. Moreover, there has never been an Arab democracy, and with the exception of a handful of tyrannies around the world, the world's most repressive regimes are in the Middle East. So while President Bush may 'know' that freedom is the 'future of every nation,' many others can be forgiven for disagreeing."

Condoleezza Rice does not disagree. While Colin Powell sees the world in more secular tones — nuanced and in shades of gray — Dr. Rice and the president sing from the same hymnbook. If they are right about the contagion of freedom, they may unleash a movement that can positively affect more people than the collapse of the Soviet Union. If they are wrong — and the evidence is far heavier on this side of the argument — the consequences, to borrow a theological term with which they are familiar, could be Armageddon.

The stakes don't get any higher than this.

I think this question is not as simple as it would seem. Much of what we value, and do not value, is a result of social conditioning and experience. If one has never experienced freedom, then how is it then possible to value it ? Freedom has escaped Iraq for at least 30 years under Saddam's rule, so I don't believe many Iraqis even understand what is means to be free,therefore asking if they value it, is pointless.

What I do believe is that at it's deepest levels the human spirit longs for freedom, but being the adaptable creatures that we are, we accept and adjust to our circumstances. Given a choice, I think most humans would choose freedom over tyrany.

So I think the question should be not do they value it, but rather how far are they willing to go to attain it ?

Is america really free? and now america has decided to flex its imperial muscle, fueling terrorisium, americans will see more and more freedoms taken away, as your society becomes more and more right wing or even facist.
I know you dont like the word facisium and probably think im communist for saying it but that goes to show how little freedom america has if your scared of saying words. and don´t think you can leture the rest of the world in how to live, when you live in the most unhealthy, depressed, stresed, wastfull sociaty in the world.

I´d rather know what facisium means than being able to spell, I just goes to show how shelterd you all are. to pick up on a spelling mistake but ignoring my point is just the sort of stupidity I expect from americans. Just like voting for a president because he looks better on the tele and comes out with witty answers.

why are you swearing, im not swearing. if you don´t acually have any coments of value don´t bother, i´m more than willing to listen. oh and by the way the internet is free, I thought you lived in a free sociaty, dosn´t that mean freedom to expess myself to whoever whenever. come on man say something usefull. I supose I take my freedom for granted as im european, i´m sorry I exposed your represion

jody said:
Is america really free? and now america has decided to flex its imperial muscle, fueling terrorisium, americans will see more and more freedoms taken away, as your society becomes more and more right wing or even facist.
I know you dont like the word facisium and probably think im communist for saying it but that goes to show how little freedom america has if your scared of saying words. and don´t think you can leture the rest of the world in how to live, when you live in the most unhealthy, depressed, stresed, wastfull sociaty in the world.

I'm not sure I see what this has to do with the thread topic. The discussion is about Iraq, not the USA.

Why don't you post your crap in the Anti-USA forum and I will happily rip your lame assertions apart.

well matey, Im suprised you don´t know what facist means as you are one. this site is free because i can say what I like just as you can. and if you ban me i´ll come back with a new ID so the only thing thin is this case is your argument.

jody said:
well matey, Im suprised you don´t know what facist means as you are one. this site is free because i can say what I like just as you can. and if you ban me i´ll come back with a new ID so the only thing thin is this case is your argument.

You'll abide by the rules just like everyone else.
You are not free to be a troll.
If banned, you will NOT be coming back.

I suggest you change your attitude.

Eric, let's hope that the Iraqis are not so isolated/cut off from the rest of the world that they do not understand what freedom is. If that is the case, then the Bush Administration might be in for a real rude awakening. If the Iraqis don't have the resolve to fight the good fight (i.e., defeating the insurrgents/foreign terrorists) to obtain their own freedom, that says it all. America can only help them obtain their freedom; the Iraqis are the ones who will have to earn it and then protect it. This situation is hopeful. American commanders say that the Iraqis are good soldiers. The young people in Iran who desperately want to be free should insert themselves in this battle on the side of the Iraqis. They have as much right to get involved in this fray as the foreign terrorists.

I agree Adam. The US can only set up the stadium, not play the game, that is up to the Iraqi's, and yes I think they will step up to the plate. My point was since they never really EXPERIENCED freedom, they can not yet value it, only try and attain it. :)

Forum List

Back