Do Debates Matter?

Do Presidential Debates Still Matter Today?

• Total voters
No, because they aren’t debates.

You are correct. In a real debate, challengers stay on point and answer the questions instead of making speeches. However, in reality candidates are allowed to get way off base. There was one debate some time ago (I can't remember which one it was) when I told my wife that if all you heard was the candidates answers, you would be unable to determine what the questions were.

Oh, well, I suppose it's better than no "debates" at all.

Yes. They can be a game-changer. We get to hear what the candidates want the people to think they believe.

the sad part is.....many will buy it.....the even sadder part is.....the die hard party people wont even think of questioning anything said by their guy.....

Not entirely true....I bitch about my party fairly often
BITCHING about what they say or do..... is different than QUESTIONING what they say or do............

I say yes, because it's the largest platform BEFORE Americans go to vote where the candidates are able to communicate their plans and ideas to them.

Simply as a matter of numbers and reach it matters.

They say that to tell who's winning simply turn down the volume and watch the debates.

It doesn't matter what they say once they're not outright lying...it's all rhetoric...and that's to be expected.

I was out earlier so watching it on DVR now and Romney's doing pretty good although I believe Obama is doing better.

Last night showed the world how little obama really knows. it was pathetic.

Yes they do matter if only to see the expressions and body language of the participants giving us a look at them as just people. It's also good to see them in a position of having to defend what they have said or done with more then manufactured news bites.

Yes or no.

Why? Why not?

I think they are highly influential to those who have not made up their minds, for whom to vote.

From Pew:

Pew: Two-thirds say presidential debates influence their vote

Posted on September 13, 2012 |

Two-thirds (67%) of those who voted in the 2008 election said the debates between Barack Obama and John McCain were very or somewhat helpful in deciding which candidate to vote for, according to the Pew Research Center’s quadrennial post-election survey. (About three-in-ten (28%) said they were “very helpful” and 39% said they were “somewhat helpful.”)

Daily Number: Most Say Presidential Debates Influence Their Vote - Pew Research Center

Yes or no.

Why? Why not?

If Obama had done well as many lefties said he would then debates are important.
Now that Obama did not do well then debates are not important.

I will say this though.The GOP was crazy this time around with so many debates.

This Presidential election 3 debates is fine and I think necessary. :clap2:

Debates don't usually matter. Most of the time both sides do well, get in a few jabs and wonks will analyze it to death to figure out who did the best.

This was not one of those debates. I've seen lots of debates, mostly boring. This wasn't like any debate I have ever seen. This was a steam roller, an obliteration.

Yes or no.

Why? Why not?

Yes, but really only to the tiny segment of undecided voters and then really only to the challenger. For most of them the Debates are the first unfiltered experiences they have had with Romney. They know who Obama is, It was Romney they needed to decide about. So in that way, yes they matter.

Though I would say a really bad performance is way more likely to effect the Election than a really good one.

I would not call Obama's Performance really bad last night. It wasn't great, maybe not even good, but not so bad it could end his chances or anything. Unlike say when Reagan Ran against Carter. Carter was so bad in the Debates, and Reagan so good, That decided it.

IMO anyways.

Today it is much the same as then. Things are not good, People are not particularly happy with the Current guy, but they are looking for a reason to vote for the other guy. Last night Romney gave some of them that Reason.

Debates don't usually matter. Most of the time both sides do well, get in a few jabs and wonks will analyze it to death to figure out who did the best.

This was not one of those debates. I've seen lots of debates, mostly boring. This wasn't like any debate I have ever seen. This was a steam roller, an obliteration.

Lol, what debate were you watching?

Probably the same one watched by Chris Matthews, Charlie Rangle, and even Obama's commie friend, Van Jones. Did you happen to see their comments on it. Most ever Liberal oundit out there is saying Obama was not prepared.

I don't think the debates matter because they are not really debates. Watching the debate was like watching a summary of every political add I've seen. The election season is so long and drawn out that it lessens the debates. Early voting and absentee voters prove that the debates really don't matter. The money wasted is staggering.

They matter because folks get an unfiltered view of what the candidates stand for. With the media so biased, it give many people an opportunity to see them for what they are.

Forum List

Back