Do Debates Matter?

Do Presidential Debates Still Matter Today?

• Total voters
Yes or no.

Why? Why not?

no......to me.....its just two politicians lying,spinning and exaggerating...and once in a while making promises they know they cant keep....i will watch WHATEVER else is on.....even one of those shows my wife watches where they are making doilies for the couch.....:eusa_eh:

They are a chance to hear real policy concerns in the closest we can come to an honest manner, without speech writers and teleprompters.

They are also a perfect opportunity for candidates to either have a breakout moment or an epic fail, both of which can shift the course of the election.

Time and again a good debate performance has been worth more than any amount of electioneering.

If it was an actual debate, it could be interesting. However this will be watered down politics with no one saying anything of any real significance.

Besides, if you're an intelligent American you should already be informed on the candidates and issues. This is just the bathing suit portion of the election.

The real answer is that it CAN matter. It mattered when JFK debated Nixon. It mattered when Reagan buried Carter. It didn't really matter all that much when McCain and Obama squared off.

Yes

The people deserve unfiltered answers and speeches. No media putting parced clips together out of context.

are they unfiltered?.....or do they get to know what will be asked?......how about if the people in the audience get to get up and ask them questions that they have to answer on the spot.....then you might see which guy knows what the hell he is talking about....

When our stuttering, bumbeling, teleprompter in chief gets going it should be interesting, I just hope Romney is accused of not respecting Maobama by the commiecrats tomorrow, that would tell us how bad Maobama has lost.

Do debates matter?

Presidential debates, or debates in general?

Presidential debates do influence how swing voters mark their ballots.

Debate in general? If you went by most debates here, most of them are worthless. I've only been here a few short days and already I see most threads devolve into what resembles petulant children in a sandbox very quickly.

I think the candidates know the questions before hand ... so the answers should be as scripted and boring as ever.

Do facts matter? If they did, NO one would be voting for Obama.
Hey bud, who's campaign said they weren't going to be run by fact checkers? Could you tell me that
Yes or no.

Why? Why not?

Yessir. It gives the people a chance to see the candidates actually rebut attacks. As opposed to just constantly watching nothing but million dollar super pac ads.

No..

The funny thing about people who have conviction.. every piece of empirical evidence you place before them, no matter how contrary it is to their own opinions, will only stand to reaffirm them in their views.

Also, its scripted and candidates barely get any time to address each other directly if it's anything like previous formats.

Forum List

Back