Do Corporations Really Pay No Taxes?

Yes they pay taxes! That's why there are so many companies moving overseas... They don't have the high taxes and no unions and other regulations to get past in other countries... It's common sense, if you want the companies to stay here then you have to make it more affordable for them to operate here and lower taxes.... it's as easy as that. It's amazing a person as smart as Obama can't understand that.

None of you seem to understand that corporations are taxed on their income

http://www.smbiz.com/sbrl001.html

Corporate Income Tax Rates--2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003
Taxable income over Not over Tax rate

$ 0 $ 50,000 15%
50,000 75,000 25%
75,000 100,000 34%
100,000 335,000 39%
335,000 10,000,000 34%
10,000,000 15,000,000 35%
15,000,000 18,333,333 38%
18,333,333 .......... 35%

Corps are only taxed on money they don't pay out to shareholders or reinvest into the business.

Since many corps pay the bulk of profits to shareholders or use profits to expand their services or to upgrade equipment etc there is little actual income left to tax. And all those profits are taxed one way or another since people who receive dividends pay tax and those whose stock appreciates pay capital gains so believe me there is plenty of tax money being collected

None of you seem to understand that corporations are taxed on their income

http://www.smbiz.com/sbrl001.html

Corporate Income Tax Rates--2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003
Taxable income over Not over Tax rate

$ 0 $ 50,000 15%
50,000 75,000 25%
75,000 100,000 34%
100,000 335,000 39%
335,000 10,000,000 34%
10,000,000 15,000,000 35%
15,000,000 18,333,333 38%
18,333,333 .......... 35%

Corps are only taxed on money they don't pay out to shareholders or reinvest into the business.

Since many corps pay the bulk of profits to shareholders or use profits to expand their services or to upgrade equipment etc there is little actual income left to tax. And all those profits are taxed one way or another since people who receive dividends pay tax and those whose stock appreciates pay capital gains so believe me there is plenty of tax money being collected

That happens to be one of the main points of the article fwiw. :cool:

Tristan is a corporate tool or fool, hard to say which. The idea that the conservatives need to protect corporations and the rich from those mean bad people who want a nation that isn't third rate is hard to take.

The Conservative Nanny State

CEPR - America Since 1980: A Right Turn Leading to a Dead End

And midcan5 is a statist fool, do dah do da. (that was some good name calling there, thanks for keeping it fun)

At least you put up some interesting links. :clap2:

Dean Baker is a liberal hack of the Center for Economic and Policy Research. (a lib "think" tank) But I bet his book you link to does make some great points. First and formost about corporate welfare which is a gross injustice. But it's more than that, some corporations get dozens of favors from the feds or State or even local governments. It needs to be brought to an end.

Sadly, Baker and his "progressive" ilk don't stop there. Their backwards ideology does not seek a stronger free market. (which ending corporate welfare would greatly aide) They seek a heavily regulated government controlled market which is just as damaging to freedom.

fwiw (so you can all better understand what kind of tool I am)- I'm a registered independent who votes mostly Republican. More than Republican though, I'm conservative leaning. But most of all, and more than each of the above combined, I am a capitalist.

:D:D

You all talk crap about corporations, but yet enjoy the lives the corporations have provided. So, they don't pay taxes on the money they pay out to their stock holders. The stockholders pay taxes. They still pay Social Security tax beyond what the employee puts in. They still have to pay taxes on the amount they pay the employee. Then there's the taxes on the employee's pay out of the employee's pay. We are paying taxes upon taxes upon taxes.

If they tax the corporations they will pass the cost on to us. They will raise their prices to match. You can see it when minimum wage goes up. Due to the cost of things going up the difference in what they make will be taken up with how much it costs to life with the newer prices. They will not 'eat the cost'. That's the way business works.

Businesses are around for one reason... To make money. If you take that away, they will close and stop making things. Things we all like. How about your computer... All of you are in front of one now enjoying this. All provided by corporations. The fridge you got your drink out of... Corporations. The car you drive to your job... Yup you got it, another corporation. I happen to like my life. Corporations and all.

However, there has to be business ethics. But, that's another topic entirely.

For those and their issue with loopholes. Here's a loophole for ya:

Small Business Tax Credit for Paying Employees on Military Leave

Small Business Tax Credit for Paying Employees on Military Leave
Friday August 15, 2008
U.S. small businesses are now eligible for a tax credit if they continue to pay employees who are on active duty in the military. In June, President Bush signed into law the Heroes Earnings Assistance and Relief (HEART) Tax Act of 2008.

According the National Federation of Independent Business, the new law:

"allows small business owners with fewer than 50 employees to claim a tax credit of 20 percent of wage differential payments as long as they continue to pay reservists some or all of their former compensation and the payments do not exceed $20,000."

It is difficult for a small business to lose a productive employee, and this law provides an incentive for employers to keep paying these employees while they serve in the military.

That is what they call a loophole. If you wish to close all 'loopholes' you will close this one. Honestly, I like this one.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back