Do Conservatives Think They Have A Monopoly On Truth ?

Sun Devil 92

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2015
Conservatism or Liberty?

Moving to more general considerations, conservatism rests on a claim of privileged access to truth, whether through revelation or some sort of "practical reason" to derive rules of personal and interpersonal conduct—which really seems to boil down to a reverse engineering to justify personal preferences.

Admittedly, this is dissatisfying for those who claim to have a monopoly on truth and want to impose it through central planning. But humility calls for a prudent rejection of social engineering, as we simply lack the knowledge to impose better outcomes on others. Conservatism may very well be right in its assertions, but it very well might be wrong. There may very well be an eternal law—but our knowledge thereof is another question entirely. Confident claims of knowledge in the public square or the classroom are one thing, but using them as a grounding for coercive power is another entirely.

Can't argue with his POV.

I see it in many conservatives.

However, I am interested in what others think.

Moving to more general considerations, conservatism rests on a claim of privileged access to truth...

This is how you started your juvenile rant. You are part of the same party that rigged their primaries and purchased info from Kremlin agents to throw a national election.

Excuse me for not reading the rest of your crap.

• Banned
Liberals can tell the truth. They just choose not to.

Thank you for responding, but your comment is an overgeneralization.

First, let's get clear...I believe you are talking about left wingers....not liberals. There is a huge difference.

Now, this article says that conservatives tend to think they have a monopoloy on truth.

Why would he say that ?

The author is not a left winger.

What a hilarious thread.
You alleged conservatives could give a shit about truth, look at who your leader is, a pathological liar! And you so-called lovers of the truth, never, ever call him on it. You don't care that he lies to you daily and not one peep out of your folks.
Consider this thread, ONE BIG FAIL!!
Next.

Conservatism or Liberty?

Moving to more general considerations, conservatism rests on a claim of privileged access to truth, whether through revelation or some sort of "practical reason" to derive rules of personal and interpersonal conduct—which really seems to boil down to a reverse engineering to justify personal preferences.

Admittedly, this is dissatisfying for those who claim to have a monopoly on truth and want to impose it through central planning. But humility calls for a prudent rejection of social engineering, as we simply lack the knowledge to impose better outcomes on others. Conservatism may very well be right in its assertions, but it very well might be wrong. There may very well be an eternal law—but our knowledge thereof is another question entirely. Confident claims of knowledge in the public square or the classroom are one thing, but using them as a grounding for coercive power is another entirely.

Using confident claims of knowledge as a grounding for coercive power is almost exclusively what the lib/dems have been doing. Exhibit A: Global Warming, now called climate change.

BTW, nobody has a monopoly on the truth. IMHO, these days nobody is all that close to being honest and truthful about damn near everything.

• Banned
Moving to more general considerations, conservatism rests on a claim of privileged access to truth...

This is how you started your juvenile rant. You are part of the same party that rigged their primaries and purchased info from Kremlin agents to throw a national election.

It's a claim. Not one I disagree with either.

I am a conservative.

Is there something that prevents me from asking the question ?

• Banned
Conservatism or Liberty?

Using confident claims of knowledge as a grounding for coercive power is almost exclusively what the lib/dems have been doing. Exhibit A: Global Warming, now called climate change.

Good point.

And thank you for posting it.

However, I would say that in the argument for health insurance, the right argued (and rightly so) against Obummercare. At the same time, there was clear lack of undrestanding of the issue on the part of the right. Yet, there was nothing but smuggness in much of the rights argument.

I am a conservative.

So you believe conservatives rest on the claim of privileged access to your truth?

Conservatism or Liberty?

Good point.

However, I would say that in the argument for health insurance, the right argued (and rightly so) against Obummercare. At the same time, there was clear lack of undrestanding of the issue on the part of the right. Yet, there was nothing but smuggness in much of the rights argument.

I won't argue that, but I will say the Left lied their asses off about the ACA. If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor. Costs won't go up by one dime. Bull effing shit.

What a hilarious thread.
You alleged conservatives could give a shit about truth, look at who your leader is, a pathological liar! And you so-called lovers of the truth, never, ever call him on it. You don't care that he lies to you daily and not one peep out of your folks.
Consider this thread, ONE BIG FAIL!!
Next.

Nice, one dimensional argument.

Your conclusion was the big fail.

What would you expect people to do in the case of Trump's lies ?

I am a conservative.

So you believe conservativism rests on the claim of privileged access to your truth?

No, I believe many conservatives are pretty lazy when it comes to the truth. The guy who wrote the article is not a left winger. He is a libertarian. I find him hard to argue with.

For the record, I think the left lies like dogshit.

Conservatism or Liberty?

How many lies has the nominal leader of the GOP been caught telling in the last year and a half?

Conservatives don't even really have a tenuous grasp of the truth, much less a monopoly.

Conservatism or Liberty?

Good point.

I won't argue that, but I will say the Left lied their asses off about the ACA. If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor. Costs won't go up by one dime. Bull effing shit.

I expect that from them. I don't trust them at all.

My heartbreak in all this was the failure of conservatives (GWB was no conservative...never was one) to surface the issue in context and hold an honest discussion.

That would have included the fact that health insurance (and by association health care) has been regulated for a hell of of a long time...and it was the regulation that was making it tough for people to get access.

Conservatives lost a golden opportunity to lead America a better place without using the government (except to get the fuck out of the way).

Conservatism or Liberty?

How many lies has the nominal leader of the GOP been caught telling in the last year and a half?

Conservatives don't even really have a tenuous grasp of the truth, much less a monopoly.

Liberals don't either. It's an open question as to who is worse, and IMHO not worth the argument cuz nobody is going to agree on the answer.

Conservatism or Liberty?

Yes, we hear it all the time.

Only problem is that you define what is a lie and what isn't.

Go fuck yourself.

Conservatism or Liberty?

Good point.

Lack of clear understanding of the issue? The issue is clear. It is YOUR life, YOU are responsible for it.

Sounds like a very clear understanding of the issue.

Conservatism or Liberty?

Liberals don't either. It's an open question as to who is worse, and IMHO not worth the argument cuz nobody is going to agree on the answer.

Let's be clear...it is the left wing. Not liberals.

The left will lie like dogshit.

Conservatism or Liberty?

Lol. So
Conservatism or Liberty?

It is abundantly clear Trump vs the RNC/DNC has a lot of work to do.

Forum List

Back