Do Christian right wingers really have nothing better to worry about than this?

Books that were not divinely inspired were left out. Books that were inaccurate, untimely or out and out hoaxes were left out.
The men who translated the Bible were scholars in the languages they were dealing with. Don't assume they were stupid because it was a long time ago, or because they were believers. The Bible is not a fluid document that has changed over the ages. It is the same as it was, and things like the Dead Sea scrolls affirm that. Our King James Bible is not a bastardized version of the original KJ bible. It wasn't distorted by monks. It's the same as was translated many years ago by the 50 scholars (Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek scholars, btw) commissioned to create a version for the masses. They used original transcripts and ancient documents. They didn't get together and take this monk's scribblings, and that monk's scribblings, then decide to come somewhere in the middle and meet.

I know the Catholics use a different Bible, and include text that isn't recognized by anybody else as holy. The scholars who put together the KJ had a set of criteria which was very strict, and they pruned out the texts which were contradictory or which were too new.

The men who decided what books were kept in the Bible and what books were left out were Roman, belonged to various schism of early Christian thought (some were very violent movements), and wanted to create an authority within the Bible.

They did not leave out texts that were not divinely inspired. They left out texts that did not fit their personal beliefs. These men were no more divine or divinely inspired than any of us here (including you). Mostly, they were leaders of groups who wanted Rome to sanction their belief because Cesaer gave them property, wealth and power.

The early church was split into two groups who were vying for power within the Roman political arena. The group who had Cesaer's ear were defeated politically at the Council of Nacia when their beliefs were written out of the Bible.

Not exactly a divine inspiration as it was born of greed and avarice.

And if you actually read the Qumran Library (Dead Sea Scrolls) they show a very different ministry that Jesus had from the one portrayed in the Bible.

The men who decided what books were kept in the Bible and what books were left out were Roman, belonged to various schism of early Christian thought (some were very violent movements), and wanted to create an authority within the Bible.

They did not leave out texts that were not divinely inspired. They left out texts that did not fit their personal beliefs. These men were no more divine or divinely inspired than any of us here (including you). Mostly, they were leaders of groups who wanted Rome to sanction their belief because Cesaer gave them property, wealth and power.

The early church was split into two groups who were vying for power within the Roman political arena. The group who had Cesaer's ear were defeated politically at the Council of Nacia when their beliefs were written out of the Bible.

Not exactly a divine inspiration as it was born of greed and avarice.

And if you actually read the Qumran Library (Dead Sea Scrolls) they show a very different ministry that Jesus had from the one portrayed in the Bible.

Can you post some links?

I'm saying if you don't, I believe you'll go to hell.

No, that is not what you have been saying throughou this thread. You made it clear that I do not believe. Now answer the question flip-flopper.

No, you are the one who said, "Are you implying that I don't believe in God?" I never said you didn't. You thought I was implying it. That's your problem, bucko.

Forum List

Back