Do Christian right wingers really have nothing better to worry about than this?

Empathy is a good point. Fun is another. How is dressing up as the opposite sex bad, while Halloween traditions are okay and encouraged?

Actually, since the thread was about the fundamentalist Christian attitude toward the dressing up, they don't like Halloween either. They're being pretty consistent.

You're lumpin all Christians together Taomon. Halloween was originally a celtic holiday of harvest. Then the Catholic church adopted it as a holiday in order to convert people to Christianity. While Catholics and some of ther Christian religions do celebrate Halloween. Many of the newer, non-demoninations don't. You can't lump Christians into one big pot and say they all believe they all "practice" the same way. I'm a christian and I dress up every year for halloween. Not as a woman though.....:eusa_shifty:

You're lumpin all Christians together Taomon. Halloween was originally a celtic holiday of harvest. Then the Catholic church adopted it as a holiday in order to convert people to Christianity. While Catholics and some of ther Christian religions do celebrate Halloween. Many of the newer, non-demoninations don't. You can't lump Christians into one big pot and say they all believe they all "practice" the same way. I'm a christian and I dress up every year for halloween. Not as a woman though.....:eusa_shifty:

Always good to have a change of pace for Halloween, eh? :badgrin:

Actually, since the thread was about the fundamentalist Christian attitude toward the dressing up, they don't like Halloween either. They're being pretty consistent.

thats not altogether true either... Yes, they don't celebrate in standard Halloween tradition.. BUT, it's not hard to find "christian" alternatives that night including Hay rides, hot cider drinking fellowship and dressing up... like bible characters. It all depends on what kind of bone the thumpers want to pick.

How about presenting the FIRST paragraph of the article and the actual reason the complaints were made instead of cherrypicking to suit your agenda?

The complaints were concerning kids being encouaged to dress as members of the opposite gender.

The option of also dressing as a senior citizen is part of this "Wacky Week", but not listed as part of the complaint.

Do tell ... what point is it that you see in encouraging children to cross-dress? I see absolutely NONE.

It was solely to push an agenda, and the parent was absolutely right to protest.

It's not about allowing children to "express" themselves. It's about the pigs teaching them using the children to advance their viewpoint.

thats not altogether true either... Yes, they don't celebrate in standard Halloween tradition.. BUT, it's not hard to find "christian" alternatives that night including Hay rides, hot cider drinking fellowship and dressing up... like bible characters. It all depends on what kind of bone the thumpers want to pick.

Different... yes, they'll do the Christmas pageant, etc., but that's not pagan imagery as far as they're concerned. Nor is it immoral in their view.

nothing wrong with a hay ride and some hot cider...even for religious folk. I don't think there's anything written that says they can't have ANY fun. ;oP

Different... yes, they'll do the Christmas pageant, etc., but that's not pagan imagery as far as they're concerned. Nor is it immoral in their view.

nothing wrong with a hay ride and some hot cider...even for religious folk. I don't think there's anything written that says they can't have ANY fun. ;oP

Many christians dress up and celebrate halloween in the traditional way. I have my whole life. Now, I wouldn't say that I've dressed up as a devil or demon and run around. But every year (as a kid), we would dress up (GI Joe, Ninja Turtle, Vampire, dead guy, Jason, etc...)and go trick or treating. When I got older, I enjoyed scaring the crap out of kids that came to the door by swinginga dummy off the roof at them. Not all Christians sit around and "Cumbai-Ya My Lord" at Halloween.

I agree... I've had fun on such occasions myself. I just find it typical of christian culture to demonize something secular and then try to repackage it with a jebus sticker. Music. Books. Fashion. Culture. These things are never OK for AMERICANS unless it's been assimilated by nutters.

Disney's Mulan? Obvious ploy to hijack a generation of god;s future home makers.

What of the parents that choose to keep their child home on this day? Would they be in trouble for unexcused appsense? Or will they find themselves talking to a truancy officer (schools still have these).

We are expected to stand out from other folks, which is one way to justify non-participation in holidays which have a pagan history.

But I think that if we choose to participate in holidays such as Halloween and Easter, we can, provided we aren't worshiping pagan gods.

Christmas has a Pagan history... Do you celebrate Christmas?

http://www.holidays.net/christmas/story.htm

The History of Christmas

The history of Christmas dates back over 4000 years. Many of our Christmas traditions were celebrated centuries before the Christ child was born. The 12 days of Christmas, the bright fires, the yule log, the giving of gifts, carnivals(parades) with floats, carolers who sing while going from house to house, the holiday feasts, and the church processions can all be traced back to the early Mesopotamians.

Many of these traditions began with the Mesopotamian celebration of New Years. The Mesopotamians believed in many gods, and as their chief god - Marduk. Each year as winter arrived it was believed that Marduk would do battle with the monsters of chaos. To assist Marduk in his struggle the Mesopotamians held a festival for the New Year. This was Zagmuk, the New Year's festival that lasted for 12 days.

More on the site....

I know that. Yes, I celebrate Christmas. And Easter. And I let the kids trick-or-treat.

We are expected to stand out from other folks, which is one way to justify non-participation in holidays which have a pagan history.

But I think that if we choose to participate in holidays such as Halloween and Easter, we can, provided we aren't worshiping pagan gods.

Where I can see that Halloween is simply an adaptation of a holiday into the Christian Culture.

Christians ideas of Easter are completely unaligned with that of the Pagan ritual. Pagans celebrated Easter as the beginning of Spring. . The Eater eggs were brought about by the idea of the Goddess of fertility. While Christians hunt easter eggs and speak of the Easter bunny, it is not a major premise of why Christians celebrate Easter. The Christian Easter is most likely attributed to the Jewish Passover celebration. Christians celebrate Easter as the Passion, Death, and Ressurection of Christ, just as the Jewish celebrated it a commemoration of the Messiah foretold by prophets. The actual time of year for the celebration may be attributed to the Pagans.

As far as Halloween is concerned...The Pagans celebrated it on November 1 marking the end of summer and harvest. They beleived that during this time, the "line" between the living and the dead became blurred so that the dead and living would walk among one another. They believed that the Ghosts of the dead would come back and walk the earth. Many Christians began celebrating Halloween on this premise. It became All Saints Day for the Catholic church, which is not quite the same as dead people walking the earth, but they celebrated the dead.

It was solely to push an agenda, and the parent was absolutely right to protest.

It's not about allowing children to "express" themselves. It's about the pigs teaching them using the children to advance their viewpoint.

What agenda were they pushing?

FUCK.

You know.. I was sure on my path to living to 969 like Methesulah but now, goddammit, because of these damn secularists and their AGENDAS I probably won't live past 80.

If only more people used the bible as a medical text and kids were not allowed to play with third grade homosexuals.

:thup:

Forum List

Back