Do Christian right wingers really have nothing better to worry about than this?

acludem

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2003
Missouri
A public school had "wacky week" and on Friday of that week kids were encouraged to dress either as senior citizens or the opposite gender. The Christian right is now waging a holy war against silly dress-up days for kids accusing the school of promoting "alternative lifestyles".

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23986997/

acludem

I'd be far more concerned about little girls being dressed up to resemble seductive adult women than this harmless bit of silliness. Where are these people when parents push their little girls into beauty contests? That's apparently okay, this apparently isn't?

Oh I know.. I read that this morning.. good grief.

So, where are the local nutters who insist that christians are all benevolent and don't try to pounce of the slightest thing that offends their wackjob morals? Funny, I see nary a post by any of the usual suspects so far.. Gosh, it's almost like pharisee christians would rather scream martyr than clean house.

This is rediculous. Harmless play turned into something religious. I'm Christian and don't believe in taking it that far.

However, I'm not sure if I would particularly enjoy my son dressing up like a woman. That's kind of frowned upon here in the South. LOL:cuckoo: Then again, they can't make someone dress-up that doesn't want to dress-up.

dude.. it's not like homozexuality was invented the day a boy child dressed up like a girl for some costumed event. this christian reaction is beyond stupid and conveys just how little a grasp they have on reality while beating their chests like donkey kong about their personal morals.

dude.. it's not like homozexuality was invented the day a boy child dressed up like a girl for some costumed event. this christian reaction is beyond stupid and conveys just how little a grasp they have on reality while beating their chests like donkey kong about their personal morals.

You must have had a bad dream about me last night or something....

I'm agree with you genius. I think they've (christians) have taken this too far. Considering the school is not requiring or making each student dress up. Now, if the school had told some agnostic kid to pray during the moment of silence, that would be different. The agnostic kids parents would have reasons for concern.

My personal opinion, is that I wouldn't want my son dressing up as a woman. Just my own personal homophobia...no link or proof needed. My personal opinion.

Are you Ok with this?? Do we need to have a discussion about it? I'm sorry if my opinion on little boys dressing up like little girls doesn't mean the Shogus Standard. But then again, it doesn't have to now does it?:cool:

you agree... up to the point of lording over your kid's costumes on the off chance that too many occasions farcing it up as a woman will make him crave some dick?

yes.. clearly you have achieved liftoff.

This is rediculous. Harmless play turned into something religious. I'm Christian and don't believe in taking it that far.

However, I'm not sure if I would particularly enjoy my son dressing up like a woman. That's kind of frowned upon here in the South. LOL:cuckoo: Then again, they can't make someone dress-up that doesn't want to dress-up.

That reminds me. When I was about ten I had to take care of my baby brother. I used to dress him up like a girl all the time because I'd always wanted a sister. hahaha, he still gets ragged about it by my family. It didn't turn him gay, in case you're wondering.

you agree... up to the point of lording over your kid's costumes on the off chance that too many occasions farcing it up as a woman will make him crave some dick?

yes.. clearly you have achieved liftoff.

Oh you're so right:rolleyes: ...I should have no say in what my child should or shouldn't do? I mind as well let he/she do what he/she wants to do, that always works out the best. Especially when they get into the real world and realize they don't always get what they want. Then again, that explains your babyish attitude on these forums....I'm right and your wrong cause I say so....wha wha wha....

It has nothing to do with dick, maybe in your mind, I wonder why that's the first thing you think of?

Oh, and did I say, "My kid will not dress like that for a school function?" Absolutelly not.
I said that I wouldn't want him to. How many people do you know would actualy want their kid to dress up like the opposite gender. Well maybe you do know at least one person....

That reminds me. When I was about ten I had to take care of my baby brother. I used to dress him up like a girl all the time because I'd always wanted a sister. hahaha, he still gets ragged about it by my family. It didn't turn him gay, in case you're wondering.

I know it won't turn him gay...It's just not something me (as a father) would care to do to my own child.

"Here son, here's some women's clothing....it's ok if you put it on and play in it for a while. Make sure you put the panty-hose on right."

"Well son, are you gonna dress up like a woman today at school?"

I'd be on FOX news in a heart-beat.

"Father dresses son up in womens' clothing."

He still get's ragged about it...not something he's probably particularly proud of.

Oh, he laughs. We used to cross dress for halloween because we were poor and it was the cheapest costume. As far as I know, all of my brothers are straight, and so am I.

It only becomes a problem when you make a big deal out of it. These kids were just being goofy, but now that the fundies are up in arms they are probably going to have a complex.

Sigh.

Oh, he laughs. We used to cross dress for halloween because we were poor and it was the cheapest costume. As far as I know, all of my brothers are straight, and so am I.

It only becomes a problem when you make a big deal out of it. These kids were just being goofy, but now that the fundies are up in arms they are probably going to have a complex.

Sigh.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the school doing it. If my kid was the type of kid that could do that and have no problems with it. He could, but I still wouldn't want him to do it. If the fundies have a big problem with it, the they should just tell their kids not to. If they'd taught their kids well enough (according to their own beliefs) than they wouldn't have to worry about it. LOL

We used to have volunteers at my high school to dress up like cheerleaders and cheer at home-coming. I had several opportunities to do so, but just never felt comfortable doing it.

Oh you're so right:rolleyes: ...I should have no say in what my child should or shouldn't do? I mind as well let he/she do what he/she wants to do, that always works out the best. Especially when they get into the real world and realize they don't always get what they want. Then again, that explains your babyish attitude on these forums....I'm right and your wrong cause I say so....wha wha wha....

It has nothing to do with dick, maybe in your mind, I wonder why that's the first thing you think of?

Oh, and did I say, "My kid will not dress like that for a school function?" Absolutelly not.
I said that I wouldn't want him to. How many people do you know would actualy want their kid to dress up like the opposite gender. Well maybe you do know at least one person....

Hey, if you think keeping your kid from dressing like a girl will keep the gayness at bay then so be it. You might wanna sell that strategy to the James Dobson types who throw salt over their shoulders to avoid the same.

PS. G.I. Joe "action figures"? yup.. Dolls. Enjoy, buddy.

Sigh.

thats EXACTLY it. the kids were just being kids.. but when some ultra homophobe interprets the farcical event of boys dressing up as girls as step one in the path to gayness.. well.. then, apparently, southern geography becomes a factor.

:rolleyes:

Hey, if you think keeping your kid from dressing like a girl will keep the gayness at bay then so be it. You might wanna sell that strategy to the James Dobson types who throw salt over their shoulders to avoid the same.

PS. G.I. Joe "action figures"? yup.. Dolls. Enjoy, buddy.

Your off your game to day shogster....let me quote another previous post of mine for you. In response to your statement about me thinking about keepin the gayness at bay.

"I know it won't turn him gay...It's just not something me (as a father) would care to do to my own child"

You should take the time and read my man.

Good thing I never played with Joes. But if I did, I would argue that it may be a doll, but it's a very masucline doll they'res a big difference between rainbow bright and the frickin my little pony dolls. A pink bike with little streamers, tassles and a pink bow on it is a little different than a bike with bulldog on it. :) I guess we should all where ladies low-rise jeans since their all jeans and it doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

Heh, once when I was a little kid I dressed up as princess for Holloween, in a pink dress, tiara, and a wand with a star at the end.

It was the most impractical garment I have ever worn. It had no pockets, got snagged on things, and required extra attention when sitting down. The experience certainly cured me of any curiosity I might have had about wearing dresses/skirts/etc.

On the plus side, the wand made a satisfying mace, what with those star points at the end.

(I did get some dispariging comments from some adults about dressing as a girl. My response was to roll my eyes at them and then, when they persisted, explain to them that the point of Holloween was to dress as something you're not, and that therefore my dressing as a girl was fair game.)

So, uh, my point is, I agree with the above posters that an instance of a child voluntarily crossdressing in the context of an explicitly silly social event that allows it is not inherently a big deal.

Now, it may be that little Johnny finds he likes wearing a dress, but the event didn't cause that tendency and whatever their attitude about it, isn't it better for Johnny's parents to learn that about him early on in a friendly context?

A public school had "wacky week" and on Friday of that week kids were encouraged to dress either as senior citizens or the opposite gender. The Christian right is now waging a holy war against silly dress-up days for kids accusing the school of promoting "alternative lifestyles".

acludem

How about presenting the FIRST paragraph of the article and the actual reason the complaints were made instead of cherrypicking to suit your agenda?

The complaints were concerning kids being encouaged to dress as members of the opposite gender.

The option of also dressing as a senior citizen is part of this "Wacky Week", but not listed as part of the complaint.

Associated Press
updated 10:43 p.m. CT, Sun., April. 6, 2008

REEDSBURG, Wis. - An elementary-school event in which kids were encouraged to dress as members of the opposite gender drew the ire of a Christian radio group, whose angry broadcast prompted outraged calls to the district office.

Do tell ... what point is it that you see in encouraging children to cross-dress? I see absolutely NONE.

How about presenting the FIRST paragraph of the article and the actual reason the complaints were made instead of cherrypicking to suit your agenda?

The complaints were concerning kids being encouaged to dress as members of the opposite gender.

The option of also dressing as a senior citizen is part of this "Wacky Week", but not listed as part of the complaint.

Do tell ... what point is it that you see in encouraging children to cross-dress? I see absolutely NONE.

I posted the ENTIRE article. The kids were encouraged (by vote of the students if your read the article, not by the administration) to dress up either as a member of the opposite sex or as a senior citizen.

The point is there was no point other than to be silly and have some fun.

It was wacky week! :eusa_dance:

acludem

Uptight citizens, mostly Christian, always gt hysterical whenever children are allowed any expression of individuality.

I posted a thread about my lobbying the School Committee to allow chain wallets: http://www.usmessageboard.com/showthread.php?t=53321

The article has flowered into two separate community blogs: http://www.wickedlocal.com/abington/news/x1681298460
http://www.wickedlocal.com/abington/news/education/x1279456516

If you read any of these threads you will notice two things...one that there are citizens who agree with and champion my cause (more so in my own community than here), and there are citizens who feed into a false hysteria about keeping our kids safe.

I have contended all along that if we want to keep our kids safe, teach them empathy, teach them acceptance of differences, teach them to be aware of sexual predators (which means we should also teach sex ed), teach them to be strong individually and as teams, teach them civics and social science skills, teach them that people are people regardless of their religious-political-and economic differences.

There will always be the uptight citizen brigades who get angry that someone dares to think outside of the box, try new thing, or question the reasoning behind archaic rules.

Here is an interesting tidbit. I recently moved to Abington MA and I attended a town meeting last night. They opened the meeting by saying the Pledge of Allegiance (which I disagree with, but many towns do this) so I politely stood while they did that. Then a local pastor got up and led the town in a prayer. That I sat down for while everyone stood.

Here is my point, I sat quietly, the pastor was seated next to me afterward. I did not berate him or the town. I did not cause a fuss. I sat politely. I felt it was wrong and I will address this at another time. But I was polite enough not to cause a fuss.

So why must I and others like me be the ones to sit politely while Christians step on the separation of church and state? Why must we give them their freedom, while they try and take ours away? The article shows that Christians are intolerant towards anything and anyone who they feel are not aligned with the literal interpretation of the Bible.

Who they feel are not in alignment​

There should be a balance. If I am willing to overlook a prayer at a town meeting, they should be able to overlook somethings too. Better yet, they should allow the children to learn traits like compassion, acceptance, and forgiveness. These are lessons lacking in Americanized Christianity, which is ironic because those are the most important of Christ's lessons are they not?

Empathy is a good point. Fun is another. How is dressing up as the opposite sex bad, while Halloween traditions are okay and encouraged?

Forum List

Back