Do campaign staffers think we're stupid?

1ManRev

Nov 11, 2011
Maryland
Reid's Romney smears an insult to voters - CNN.com

"These are great issues calling for serious debate. And we actually have two candidates for president who are credible, serious men. But they are running a campaign that has the sensibilities and IQ of a typical middle school student council election. With the values of an episode of "Real Housewives" or "Big Brother."

I cannot help but agree with this article, as most of what I hear in the news regarding the presidential race is back-and-forth mudslinging that simply provokes me to change the channel. I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same way, but apparently some people just eat this stuff up. Just glancing through the threads on this board, I'm seeing discussions on serious issues such as Romney dressing like a cop in college, Obama's grades in college, "Romney's company killed my wife", etc. Mr. Reid, why not attack Romney for not having voiced an opinion on the Patriot Act? Oh yeah, Obama allowed its extension. Or perhaps someone from the Romney camp would like to point out to loyal Dem voters how Obama has only furthered the failed "War on Drugs"? I suppose the fact that Romney would pretty much continue the same policy would make such an attack counterproductive.

So I guess a better question would be, are American voters as stupid as campaign staffers think we are?

"These are great issues calling for serious debate. And we actually have two candidates for president who are credible, serious men. But they are running a campaign that has the sensibilities and IQ of a typical middle school student council election. With the values of an episode of "Real Housewives" or "Big Brother."

I cannot help but agree with this article, as most of what I hear in the news regarding the presidential race is back-and-forth mudslinging that simply provokes me to change the channel. I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same way, but apparently some people just eat this stuff up. Just glancing through the threads on this board, I'm seeing discussions on serious issues such as Romney dressing like a cop in college, Obama's grades in college, "Romney's company killed my wife", etc. Mr. Reid, why not attack Romney for not having voiced an opinion on the Patriot Act? Oh yeah, Obama allowed its extension. Or perhaps someone from the Romney camp would like to point out to loyal Dem voters how Obama has only furthered the failed "War on Drugs"? I suppose the fact that Romney would pretty much continue the same policy would make such an attack counterproductive.

So I guess a better question would be, are American voters as stupid as campaign staffers think we are?

Yes they do, and the sad part is for the most part they are right.

yup look at some of the voters who say they will vote for Obama and why and im not mad that its a vote for obama but the lack of information people display for some people they choose to vote for and the reasons why.

The voters are partly to blame: their short attention span, refusal to focus on serious subjects, and unwillingness to accept the sacrifices needed.

Some of it has to do with the fact that neither party has anything new to offer as ideas to ‘fix’ the economy; the elephant in the room is there’s really nothing to be done but wait it out. Consequently a policy vacuum forms and the idiocy rushes in to fill the void.

And some of it has to do with the 24/7 news cycle, blogs, tweets, and message boards – venues rarely friendly to meaningful debate.

I absolutely agree. Unfortunately the majority of Democrats only see Republican idiocies, and the majority Republicans only see Democrat idiocies.

We will have the ability to prove we are not so stupid by replacing the frat boy in the WH.

The voters are partly to blame: their short attention span, refusal to focus on serious subjects, and unwillingness to accept the sacrifices needed.

Some of it has to do with the fact that neither party has anything new to offer as ideas to ‘fix’ the economy; the elephant in the room is there’s really nothing to be done but wait it out. Consequently a policy vacuum forms and the idiocy rushes in to fill the void.

And some of it has to do with the 24/7 news cycle, blogs, tweets, and message boards – venues rarely friendly to meaningful debate.

While irrelevant attacks are nothing new in politics, I think in the case of this race, it's meant to be a distraction from the fact that there is not much difference between the two major party candidates (which is why I support the idea of bringing Johnson, Stein, etc. into upcoming debates, but that's a different subject). When there are few differences to be attacked on, campaigns will look to drag complete nonfactors into the spotlight.

I figure we're about 8 years away from "Candidate X hates babies!" or "Candidate Y invented cancer!"

Do campaign staffers think we're stupid?

Well, 69 million Americans voted Obama in, so it's not surprising that they think we are.

I absolutely agree. Unfortunately the majority of Democrats only see Republican idiocies, and the majority Republicans only see Democrat idiocies.

Spot on.

Prove its a smear and not the truth

Fuck off you miserable twatwaffle. You are nothing but a partisan political hack and message board joke. You are incapable of seeing the wrong of your own party through the hatred you hold for those with whom you disagree.

Go away and never come back, please.

Forum List

Back