Do any of you believe in God, but not go to Church?

Used to go to church but the politics of the church is very disturbing. The people are the church and the people at the church I went to were very good folks but when it came to make the hard decisions they would always cave into what the majority wanted. New building, 6 new stained glass windows at $30K a piece, mission trips to Mexico for the youth at 2K a kid when 1/2 mile down the road there are Mexicans that need help here, positions within the church that are name only as others make all the decisions, a new "ministry" every week seeking donations and on and on and on. Started going some to the Lutheran church here. They rent space in an office park for about 2K a month, have an open door policy, have a donation box in the back and do not seek donations. These folks are not about religion but spread the good news of Jesus and his helping hands.
Organized religions where the preachers are making 150K a year just do not seem right to me. It is a business first and foremost. Time for everyone to acknowledge that. Jesus never envisioned his message to have a profit motive built into it. What I always found to be the most amazing is the amount of staff the large church I went to had. They had 3 janitors. Someone mentioned that why don't we have the youth group clean the building and employ just one full time janitor. The overwhelming response was it would be demeaning to ask the children to clean up other's mess.
Just unbelievable. The modern church does not spread the true message of Christ. It is primarily a social club.

Used to go to church but the politics of the church is very disturbing. The people are the church and the people at the church I went to were very good folks but when it came to make the hard decisions they would always cave into what the majority wanted. New building, 6 new stained glass windows at $30K a piece, mission trips to Mexico for the youth at 2K a kid when 1/2 mile down the road there are Mexicans that need help here, positions within the church that are name only as others make all the decisions, a new "ministry" every week seeking donations and on and on and on. Started going some to the Lutheran church here. They rent space in an office park for about 2K a month, have an open door policy, have a donation box in the back and do not seek donations. These folks are not about religion but spread the good news of Jesus and his helping hands.
Organized religions where the preachers are making 150K a year just do not seem right to me. It is a business first and foremost. Time for everyone to acknowledge that. Jesus never envisioned his message to have a profit motive built into it. What I always found to be the most amazing is the amount of staff the large church I went to had. They had 3 janitors. Someone mentioned that why don't we have the youth group clean the building and employ just one full time janitor. The overwhelming response was it would be demeaning to ask the children to clean up other's mess.
Just unbelievable. The modern church does not spread the true message of Christ. It is primarily a social club.
I feel you summed it up well. I had much the same experience you described. Each Sunday school class adult or child had an offering then there was one for the service then one at evening service then one wednesday then they asked for more for different projects then special quote love offerings for a guest then more for missions and it was not rolled into one...they came around sometimes three different times in an hour service. I just got the feeling that this is not what god intended to happen. The other thing they did was set up shop in the foyer selling recordings prior services and music from the band and choir. That one really topped it because the scripture came to mind of Jesus going to the temple and they were selling damaged animals and he turned the tables over. I am not sure the two actives really compared but I felt very pressured to fill my pockets before going every Sunday and empty them before leaving service. Left a bad taste for me

Forum List

Back