Do any of you believe in God, but not go to Church?

Locke11_21

Democrat Party - the REAL Fascist Party
Dec 31, 2011
Bay State
I have a strong belief in God, and believe that Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for the forgiveness of all our sin. I read daily in my old King James version of the Bible. I like to read in daily devotionals, like "Our Daily Bread", and recently I bought a great new daily devotional book: "Jesus Calling", by Sarah Young. While I am not a Mormon, I try to read in Book Of Mormon as well, I do believe Joseph Smith was a profit and he can not be denied this honor. As far as donations go, I like to donate to Christian radio stations to help them keep spreading the word of God.

As for church, I just do not go. It is not the preachers I have issue with - unfortunately it is some of the people who attend that go to church and wear the biggest crucifix around their necks, yet the next day they are out sinning like there is no tomorrow. No sooner do you leave the sermon, and these people are already talking behind your back. And it is not just at church, I have come across these kinds of people at work, in other forums I have posted in, and yes, a few at USMB as well. I just have no interest in going to church. I believe church is what you want it to be. Reading your Bible, saying your prayer, and usually every weekend I go out on a long walk and talk prayer where I am giving thanks to God and saying prayers.

Am I perfect, not even close. Every night before I go to bed, I find myself praying for forgiveness. As hard as I try, I still make alot of mistakes, but I try. And I believe many other people really try as well, however, it is just that smaller percentage that turns me away from attending church. I am not sure if any of you feel this way, but regardless, I would love to hear your opinions.

Last edited:
There have been periods in my life when my church attendance was more than a little lax...but right now is one of those times when I am happily engaged in public observance of my faith. Either way I am very comfortable with my relationship with God.

I have a strong belief in God, and believe that Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for the forgiveness of all our sin. I read daily in my old King James version of the Bible. I like to read in daily devotionals, like "Our Daily Bread", and recently I bought a great new daily devotional book: "Jesus Calling", by Sarah Young. While I am not a Mormon, I try to read in Book Of Mormon as well, I do believe Joseph Smith was a profit and he can not be denied this honor. As far as donations go, I like to donate to Christian radio stations to help them keep spreading the word of God.

As for church, I just do not go. It is not the preachers I have issue with - unfortunately it is some of the people who attend that go to church and wear the biggest crucifix around their necks, yet the next day they are out sinning like there is no tomorrow. No sooner do you leave the sermon, and these people are already talking behind your back. And it is not just at church, I have come across these kinds of people at work, in other forums I have posted in, and yes, USMB as well. I just have no interest in going to church. I believe church is what you want it to be. Reading your Bible, saying your prayer, and usually every weekend I go out on a long walk and talk prayer where I am giving thanks to God and saying prayers.

Am I perfect, not even close. Every night before I go to bed, I find myself praying for forgiveness. As hard as I try, I still make alot of mistakes, but I try. And I believe many other people really try as well, however, it is just that smaller percentage that turns me away from attending church. I am not sure if any of you feel this way, but regardless, I would love to hear your opinions.

But the Mormon church's story is that it was started because God told Joseph Smith to start his own religion because the existing ones were all corrupt?

My Mormon friend explained it to me. When Jesus' apostles died, they didn't pass on their authority to the Catholic Church, so all of the Presbeterians and Lutherans, Baptists, Protestants, Greek Orthodox that followed, none of them have the authority from God. But the Mormons do. It has been passed down since 1800 and they have apostles in their church to this day. We can track hundreds of years when the Catholic Church was very corrupt. They lost their way in what the Mormon's call the Dark Ages.

As for church, I just do not go. It is not the preachers I have issue with - unfortunately it is some of the people who attend that go to church and wear the biggest crucifix around their necks, yet the next day they are out sinning like there is no tomorrow. No sooner do you leave the sermon, and these people are already talking behind your back. And it is not just at church, I have come across these kinds of people at work, in other forums I have posted in, and yes, USMB as well. I just have no interest in going to church. I believe church is what you want it to be. Reading your Bible, saying your prayer, and usually every weekend I go out on a long walk and talk prayer where I am giving thanks to God and saying prayers.

My advice is you need to relax. If you are a good person, stop letting these cults convince you that you are a sinner and you are going to hell. They don't have a clue what heaven and hell is, just like you and I don't have a clue. We can only imagine.

And I go to church and I just don't buy it. Not 100% I don't. But I don't think the real God cares. I think MAN uses religion to fight wars and rip people off. So like the other person said, either way, she/I have our own personal relationship with God. I too pray. I too try to be a good person, and I'm sorry for my sins. But I don't get all bent out of shape about it. And I don't let a bunch of aholes at a church ruin my day. Yes, many people are hypocrites and gossips, even at church. Church doesn't seem to make some people better people. Or maybe they would be even worse if they didn't go to church.

If you aren't having a good time at that church, find another one. Doesn't really matter if its a Lutheran or Catholic or Baptist. They're all FOS. But if the members are nice and the message is good and not fire and brimstone, then you have a place to worship. None of us buy into the whole church thing 100%. Some 50%, some 75%, and some go just because their wives made them.

What about someone who does not believe in god but goes to church?

If you only knew how many people in church question what they are being told. And they've been doing it for thousands of years. Only today you won't get stoned to for admitting it. Turns out, there are a lot of us who don't buy it.

But again, that doesn't mean that I don't believe in God, but I bet you a right wing christian would not consider me a christian with how much I doubt. But I go to a Christian Church. I was baptised, will get married in my church, go to church on easter and xmas and will baptise my kids in that church, etc.

And those right wingers need to realize how many people don't completely agree with everything they believe. Honestly? I think the church likes it this way because if they pushed it too hard, they'd lose a lot of us who are really just part timers who don't really buy everything we are being told by the church. Fairytales. Man Made stories. But good stories to live by. And my God will forgive me if I'm wrong. Based on my actions, I'm more of a christian than any anti abortion right wing christian.

Probably some guy trying to get laid...now I'm going to hell.:D

It can actually be quite entertaining. Espscially the holy roller pentecostal types of churches.

ON the funny side though I know a loser guy who keeps changing churches looking for a woman dumb enough to marry him.
He is only interested in a cook, housekeeper and sex though :)

Last edited:

Maybe I wouldn't have chosen those words, but I know many men who found their wives at church but they don't necessarily buy into the whole religion thing.

Think of it this way. The guy on the 700 Club. What is his name? How many men do you know that think like that guy? Or how many guys are pro choice but are married to pro life women and go to a Catholic Church?

There are more people in church than you think who don't buy the whole Christianity thing or the Muslims or Mormons or Jews. We believe in God or maybe even some of us don't, but we definately aint buying what Organized Religion is selling. And if there is no God, so what that we are in church?

It can actually be quite entertaining. Espscially the holy roller pentecostal types of churches.

ON the funny side though I know a loser guy who keeps changing churches looking for a woman dumb enough to marry him.
He is only interested in a cook, housekeeper and sex though :)

He wants a submissive wife. Who can blame him? :lol:

If he's a loser, he should join that cult the US raided a couple years ago. Remember how homely those women were? They were dressed like they just got off the mayflower and they were butt ass ugly! I was jealous the guy was practicing polygamy until I saw the women. Same with a buddy at work. He told me he and his wife swing and I thought that was hot until I saw his ugly wife. No wonder he is willing to offer her to other men in exchange for strange. :lol:

People tell me to pray to God and I do/did and just like God told Joseph Smith, he told me that man made religion was corrupt.

Jesus even said it. He walked into church and overturned the table of the money changers. Do modern day Christians think he would do any less in their churches?

Jesus never said start the religion that exists today. The crusades, wars, catholic corruption, etc. In this respect, I agree with Joseph Smith. And God told me just the same way he told Joseph. Maybe I should start my own religion. But still use Jesus in my story like the Mormons so people don't realize just how wack my story is.

Attending church is a matter of being obedient to God, and glorifying Him. It's not about what church does for YOU. It's about doing for God.

He tells us that wherever we gather in His name, he is there. He wants us to gather in his name. He wants us to support each other and our own resolve.He wants us to encourage and admonish each other. We do that by gathering in his name.

We are the church. All of us..not a person here and a person there.We are supposed to come together.

Attending church is a matter of being obedient to God, and glorifying Him. It's not about what church does for YOU. It's about doing for God.

He tells us that wherever we gather in His name, he is there. He wants us to gather in his name. He wants us to support each other and our own resolve.He wants us to encourage and admonish each other. We do that by gathering in his name.

We are the church. All of us..not a person here and a person there.We are supposed to come together.

I can get behind this! My family has always had great respect for the Jewish faith. We are Greek Orthodox.

New Topics

Forum List

Back