Do any climate deniers

Awesome! What is the "average global temperature" going to be in 2040?
How will they know?

Modelling!
I live in Sydney, Australia. Every morning I look at the weather forecast on the Sydney Morning Herald website. They predict the coming week and do long-range forecasts up to a month. They predict not only the temperature, but if it will rain or not. They are on the money every time with a degree or two. And it rains every day they say it is, even four weeks out from the event. How? Modelling the weather patterns.

Modelling!

Awesome. Which model and what's the temp in 2040?

They predict the coming week and do long-range forecasts up to a month. They predict not only the temperature, but if it will rain or not. They are on the money every time with a degree or two.

Weather forecasts are cool!

What's the weather in your area going to be on Jan 23, 2021?
What model predicted the weather today.....back on Jan 23, 2019?

I'm just wondering if climate change deniers know the population of the world. That is all I am asking at the moment. There is a point, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what they know. BTW, this is not a trick question or anything like that.
7.7 billion
World land mass
510 million km²
The metric system is shunned in the US.

All the models are failures, and they are all created by experts who don’t even agree. But ole Doc Grumpy thinks he’s got it figured out. Read the last sentence of the following paragraph, and you will realize that the experts know how complicated and uncertain all of this climate modeling is.

I stand by my previous assessment of you- you’re an idiot.

Climate Change Is Very Real. But So Much of It Is Uncertain
That makes calculating the carbon budget—the amount of greenhouse gases humanity can emit globally while adhering to certain goals—an unenviable task. (The goal of the Paris Agreement was 1.5 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels; we’re already at 1 degree.) Different teams of researchers have reached wildly diverging conclusions, from “We can emit 1,000 gigatonnes more CO2 before we reach 1.5 degrees” to “Sorry, but we’ve already spent our carbon budget for 1.5.” There is simply too much uncertainty in the models.

You didn't read the whole article did you. And you call me an idiot.
That aside, the writer of this article covers cannabis and robotics for Wired, too. I don't seen any letters after his name. I don't see him qualifying his statement either.

This isn't a trick question. I'm just trying to get an idea of what you know.

I know that almost every person I know accepts the total population of the world when it is given. How do they know the population number is accurate to within a couple of million? Sure, a lot of countries will perform a census, but the vast majority don't. Especially those in poorer, more populated countries where most of the population growth happens. So how do they predict it? Modelling. Just the same way they predict man-made climate change. I find it interesting. I'm confident a shitload of people who don't believe that man is contributing to climate change due to the methods used to prove it (modelling), do believe in the approximation given of the population of the Earth using said method (modelling).

I know that almost every person I know accepts the total population of the world when it is given.

Do you want to throw the population deniers into the gulag?

Who said they went down to the nitty gritty of exact temperatures on exact days? Not even climate scientists say that.
As for my weather forecast post, I was giving an example. Nothing more.

I'm just wondering if climate change deniers know the population of the world. That is all I am asking at the moment. There is a point, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what they know. BTW, this is not a trick question or anything like that.

Still think it's a trick question.. Because if you squeeze a "warmer" zealot -- they start to spew "population control" solutions..

That isn't as rare as you might think.. Because anytime Bill Nye has been pressed on the issue, for example, that's his "go to" demand.... And it fits with all the stunting of industrial growth and progress that the "advanced world" attempts to dictate to developing nations...

Anyone who wants to control the population can go to the third world countries and personally put condoms on the men.

Who said they went down to the nitty gritty of exact temperatures on exact days? Not even climate scientists say that.
As for my weather forecast post, I was giving an example. Nothing more.

Who said they went down to the nitty gritty of exact temperatures on exact days?

Well, you said, "They are on the money every time with a degree or two", were you wrong?

As for my weather forecast post, I was giving an example.

Of a weather forecast, not a climate forecast?

Who said they went down to the nitty gritty of exact temperatures on exact days?

Well, you said, "They are on the money every time with a degree or two", were you wrong?

As for my weather forecast post, I was giving an example.

Of a weather forecast, not a climate forecast?

1) No, I was right. I specifically said weather forecast
2) Nope. Modelling...

All the models are failures, and they are all created by experts who don’t even agree. But ole Doc Grumpy thinks he’s got it figured out. Read the last sentence of the following paragraph, and you will realize that the experts know how complicated and uncertain all of this climate modeling is.

I stand by my previous assessment of you- you’re an idiot.

Climate Change Is Very Real. But So Much of It Is Uncertain
That makes calculating the carbon budget—the amount of greenhouse gases humanity can emit globally while adhering to certain goals—an unenviable task. (The goal of the Paris Agreement was 1.5 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels; we’re already at 1 degree.) Different teams of researchers have reached wildly diverging conclusions, from “We can emit 1,000 gigatonnes more CO2 before we reach 1.5 degrees” to “Sorry, but we’ve already spent our carbon budget for 1.5.” There is simply too much uncertainty in the models.

You didn't read the whole article did you. And you call me an idiot.
That aside, the writer of this article covers cannabis and robotics for Wired, too. I don't seen any letters after his name. I don't see him qualifying his statement either.

I read “ there is simply too much uncertainty in the models” which is exactly why they models always fail. You can’t model something that you don’t entirely understand. Climate is perhaps the most complicated natural system on the planet. Part of the reason it is so complicated is because there are so many variables, and many of those variables are not even terrestrial.

Thank God that global warming has finally reached Ohio and now we can grow Sampaguita, the National Flower of the Philippines.

Last edited:

BTW, this is not a trick question or anything like that.

That's why you didn't ask "climate acceptors".

Because my end point isn't aimed at them. They already know and will agree with my point. Deniers won't.

I'm having some serious about waiting for the punchline here.. Or maybe I missed it.. But I doubt that "deniers" have any strong convictions that the population of Earth has anything to contribute to the answer of HOW SERIOUS the brief recent warming period will become..

Only way you tie CC/GW with population is to moralize about the potential "body count" or lecture the deniers on population control or hobbling developing economies...

I'm having some serious about waiting for the punchline here.. Or maybe I missed it.. But I doubt that "deniers" have any strong convictions that the population of Earth has anything to contribute to the answer of HOW SERIOUS the brief recent warming period will become..

Only way you tie CC/GW with population is to moralize about the potential "body count" or lecture the deniers on population control or hobbling developing economies...

Punchline was given in post 30.

I know that almost every person I know accepts the total population of the world when it is given. How do they know the population number is accurate to within a couple of million? Sure, a lot of countries will perform a census, but the vast majority don't. Especially those in poorer, more populated countries where most of the population growth happens. So how do they predict it? Modelling. Just the same way they predict man-made climate change. I find it interesting. I'm confident a shitload of people who don't believe that man is contributing to climate change due to the methods used to prove it (modelling), do believe in the approximation given of the population of the Earth using said method (modelling).

Obviously, even where there is a regular census, not every year is a census year, and so modeling is involved in the years between. Also, census is not necessarily done by counting every person, but a subset, and the end result is arrived at by modeling.

But then, no one has told the denialists this number is just a result of models, and thus suspect. Yet.
Nobody really cares how close world population figures are.

Meanwhile, no one's demanding we bankrupt the economies of the Western world based on population models.

Forum List

Back