Do Americans Know How Much Trouble They’re In?

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
I've said and believed that the US has survived other attacks on our constitution and democracy and that we will survive this one too.

But, I can't remember another president openly praising one dictator after another, attacking our democracy and constitution as well as attacking democracy around the world.

I can't remember another time when a political party and voters have embraced Communism, Fascism, nazi-ism, kkk and attacked our constitution.

Or a time when so many people are against the long history the US has with the rule of law.

There's also the refusal to support the taxpayer, jobs, openly sending jobs and manufacturing out of the country. Not all RWNJs are 1% and yet they support the very wealthy even though it harms them.

Biggest is the wilful ignorance of climate change and what it means to their children and grand children.

Why America is at a Crossroads in History — and There Might Not be Any Way Back to Normal, Sane, or Civilized
1*zIpQ77R4F-Q82IVt4uP3TA.jpeg

A President who invokes absolute authority to…pardon himself. An ambassador to Germany who declares he wants to…topple the German government. Senators — the most powerful people in democracy, save the President — knocking on the door of a “detainment center”, looking for kids separated from their parents, only to be denied by guards who…laugh at them contemptuously, call the police, and have them shooed away like nobodies.

Do Americans understand how much trouble they’re now in? How grave the threat to America’s constitutional democracy, its civil society, its place in the world, and its ongoing survival is? Now. When I ask this question, you’ll protest: “Of course I do!” (or perhaps “You’re overstating it!!”, in which case the answer is already…no.) But I don’t mean you, yourself. I am asking you to ask yourself about everyone else, perhaps the mythical average American.

Here is a truth you would probably rather not hear.

America is at a crossroads. A point of no return. A democratic society cannot really survive the three assaults above, and go on being one. They may seem like just daily events in the ongoing sad saga of a troubled nation — but they are not just that. They contain great significance to history, which I feel American intellectuals are doing a poor job of interpreting and presenting to the American people. Let me take them one by one.

I've said and believed that the US has survived other attacks on our constitution and democracy and that we will survive this one too.

But, I can't remember another president openly praising one dictator after another, attacking our democracy and constitution as well as attacking democracy around the world.

I can't remember another time when a political party and voters have embraced Communism, Fascism, nazi-ism, kkk and attacked our constitution.

Or a time when so many people are against the long history the US has with the rule of law.

There's also the refusal to support the taxpayer, jobs, openly sending jobs and manufacturing out of the country. Not all RWNJs are 1% and yet they support the very wealthy even though it harms them.

Biggest is the wilful ignorance of climate change and what it means to their children and grand children.

Why America is at a Crossroads in History — and There Might Not be Any Way Back to Normal, Sane, or Civilized

A President who invokes absolute authority to…pardon himself. An ambassador to Germany who declares he wants to…topple the German government. Senators — the most powerful people in democracy, save the President — knocking on the door of a “detainment center”, looking for kids separated from their parents, only to be denied by guards who…laugh at them contemptuously, call the police, and have them shooed away like nobodies.

Do Americans understand how much trouble they’re now in? How grave the threat to America’s constitutional democracy, its civil society, its place in the world, and its ongoing survival is? Now. When I ask this question, you’ll protest: “Of course I do!” (or perhaps “You’re overstating it!!”, in which case the answer is already…no.) But I don’t mean you, yourself. I am asking you to ask yourself about everyone else, perhaps the mythical average American.

America is at a crossroads. A point of no return. A democratic society cannot really survive the three assaults above, and go on being one. They may seem like just daily events in the ongoing sad saga of a troubled nation — but they are not just that. They contain great significance to history, which I feel American intellectuals are doing a poor job of interpreting and presenting to the American people. Let me take them one by one.

umair haque

vampire.
Jun 4

Certainly someone I'd quote.

:21::21::21::21::21::21::21::21::21::21:

What is sad is that you really have no idea what's really going on. Your partisanship only allows you to place responsibility on "the other guy". This is a decades old issue that has kicked into high gear after Clinton and yes, he was/is involved in it too. The fact that you think that Rump is the only devil on the playground reveals a glaring lack of intellectual integrity. They are ALL in on this and it is a calculated game to take us down. Make no mistake, there are NOT two parties, just one political class.

Every time a Republican or Democrat gets elected President, the partisan nuts come out of the woodwork and tell us how the other guy's President is ruining the Constitution and America as we know it.

This is no different than all the other times. The one party system divides and conquers well, people actually believe this is really a two party system.

LOL!

Trump isn't harming your domestic Rights, nor is he engaging in some military agreement with N Korea.

Don't worry, the world will stop exploiting America and maybe they will catch a break.

America has been fleeced for a long time, time to put an end to it. it's really simple. I promise you, you don't want to have a watered down, useless "democracy" like Canada has.

I find your post and thesis alarmist. Trump is changing the Republican party. He is getting a lot of conservative judges on the bench which will be one of the most important parts of his legacy. But the Constitution is still very much intact. I don't see us entering some great golden new age of American might, but I don't see us inflicting any permanent damage on ourselves, either.

I find your post and thesis alarmist. Trump is changing the Republican party. He is getting a lot of conservative judges on the bench which will be one of the most important parts of his legacy. But the Constitution is still very much intact. I don't see us entering some great golden new age of American might, but I don't see us inflicting any permanent damage on ourselves, either.

I agree that its alarmist but that's not always or necessarily a bad thing.

Conservative judges are voting against basic rights. And there's not a day go by that trump does not attack the constitution and he IS doing damage.

I do hope you're right that we can undo the damage he's doing.

Your ridiculous. Your whole scenario was played out by the Obama police state.

Remember the old saying, "people that live in glass houses should NOT throw stones."

Well, I am here to tell you, tomorrow after the IG report, and congress starts really pushing Rosenstein, your whole phony narrative is going to collapse, and your hero Obysmal is going to look like a class A bum!

Good luck in the near future politically. You Leftist clowns are going to need it!

Damn, where was the OP with his concern when Shit Stain was sucking Castro's dick?
Castro IS communist.
Castro has killed thousands.
Castro imprisioned people with AIDS.
Castro kills homo's

Where was the OP when Shit Stain was sucking Iran's dick?

Your ridiculous. Your whole scenario was played out by the Obama police state.

Remember the old saying, "people that live in glass houses should NOT throw stones."

Well, I am here to tell you, tomorrow after the IG report, and congress starts really pushing Rosenstein, your whole phony narrative is going to collapse, and your hero Obysmal is going to look like a class A bum!

Good luck in the near future politically. You Leftist clowns are going to need it!

EXACTLY what did Obama do that you believe made it a "police state".

Please be specific.

You can't.

EXACTLY what in the OP is not true?

Please be specific.

You can't.

Trump is the greatest threat to American democracy in my lifetime.

Come get them.

Forum List

Back