DNC: Nearly 200,000 Americans Agree, ABC Needs to Pull the Plug on Slanderous Propaga

and another voice, with links:

http://www.jayreding.com/archives/2006/09/08/its-not-always-about-you/

It’s Not Always About You…

by Jay Reding · September 8th, 2006

Glenn Reynolds has a great post on the tempest in a teapot over the ABC 9/11 miniseries. Former members of the Clinton Administration are getting their knickers in a twist as the miniseries dramatizes events surrounding failures to assassinate Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan.

For one, Democrats lapped out Michael Moore’s cheap propaganda and twisting of facts in Fahrenheit 9/11 — they hardly have moral authority to criticize a miniseries that’s far more balanced: it even plays into their narrative that the Republican Congress was more interested in prosecuting Clinton for the Lewinsky scandal than fighting terrorism. I haven’t yet seen the miniseries, but all the reviews I’ve seen of it indicate it’s hardly fawning over Bush’s actions prior to 9/11 either.

Reynolds is right: Clinton’s harping on this issue is politically stupid, as it only invites more investigation into how the Clinton Administration tried to fight terrorism — and that’s not a record to be proud of. Bush had eight months to deal with terrorism, and much of his foreign policy focus was on the possible threat of Chinese supremacy — remember the spy plane incident? That doesn’t excuse his actions, but it does make the Clintonistas charges that everything lays on Bush’s feet seem as silly as they are.

This whole thing is a continued indication of how petty and narcissistic the Clinton Administration was. Even years after leaving office, they still haven’t left the war room mentality. Sandy Berger went so far as to commit a federal crime and destroy valuable evidence to whitewash the Clinton Administration’s record on terrorism. The reflexive way in which the Clinton spin machine has been putting pressure on ABC doesn’t even serve their own interests — but apparently the insecurities of a man who never quite grew up don’t go away even when one is ostensibly supposed to be an elder statesman.

What is new about conservatives closing their eyes to the failures of Chimpy's administration?

:asshole:

What isn't new is how the liberals continue to disrespect our president. At least we refer to the previous president by his given name no matter how we felt about his moral character.

It really makes it hard to listen to liberals, even if they have valid arguments, when they show their immaturity by using school yard innuendos.

Personally, I don't care what ABC airs about 9/11. I won't be watching. I have not been to see any of the theatrical releases about 9/11. I won't be watching any other televised 9/11 programming.

All I have to do is close my eyes, and I can see the planes crashing into the towers...I can see the people jumping to escape a fiery death...I can see the towers colllapsing in billiowing clouds of smoke and dust...I can see the people running, fleeing the choking clouds that filled New York streets...I can see the burning, smoking wreckage of the towers and the police and EMS vehicles partially buried...Why do I need some cheap, sensationalized, romanticized version of such tragedy and horror and heroism when all I have to do, is close my eyes?

I will watch (maybe) but I have to agree with Bully. There is one more vision I would add that Bully left out: that of Muslims dancing in the streets and celebrating the death of our countrymen. I will never forget nor forgive that.

Remembering Liberal Media On CBS's Yanked 'Reagans' Film
Posted by Tim Graham on September 8, 2006 - 07:18.
It's been natural for some to link the Clintonista campaign against ABC's "The Path to 9/11" with the efforts of MRC and other groups protesting CBS's flimsy biopic on "The Reagans." (Rich Noyes makes one obvious point of difference: Clinton is cogent enough to defend himself. In the fall of 2003, Reagan was deep into his Alzheimer's disease and dying.) Brent Bozell columns from that time are here and here. Brent still believes that if ABC corrects its docudrama if it doesn't have documentation for something being challenged, it's doing the right thing.

For anyone who needs specifics on how the liberal media reacted to the conservative protests against "The Reagans," here's a set of quotes from the November 10, 2003 edition of our Notable Quotables newsletter:

Liberal Film Disproves Liberalism?

"Under pressure from conservative groups, CBS has exiled its highest-profile sweeps project, The Reagans, to Showtime....If nothing else, this act of creative sabotage should put to rest the idea that the media are liberal."
– USA Today TV critic Robert Bianco, November 5.

CBS Feared Conservative Bullies

Jerry Bowen: "Some analysts contend the conservative pressure is part of the nation's ongoing culture war."
Martin Kaplan, USC Annenberg School: "There's a well-organized conservative movement in this country that's in charge of its version of the truth, and they swing a big bat."
Bowen: "James Brolin, who plays Reagan, wasn't talking, but his manager was."
Jeff Wald, James Brolin's manager: "And we seem to be in a very oppressive era where they can censor something before they even see it."
– CBS Evening News, November 4.

Brian Williams: "Do you believe what has happened here with this mini-series on CBS amounts to extortion?"
Media critic Michael Wolff: "Certainly capitulation...."
Williams: "So is it hyperbolic to say, you know, when we give all these speeches about freedom in the United States, you can go ahead and stretch your artistic freedom, make a movie about whatever you wish as long as it doesn't cross a certain political or societal group?"
Wolff: "Absolutely. If the group is well-organized and there is no group as well-organized as the right wing in America at this point in time, you're going to be in big trouble."
– CNBC’s The News with Brian Williams, November 4.

Creating a "Soviet-Style Chill"

"His [Ronald Reagan’s] supporters credit him with forcing down the Iron Curtain, so it is odd that some of them have helped create the Soviet-style chill embedded in the idea that we, as a nation, will not allow critical portrayals of one of our own recent leaders."
– Editorial in the November 5 New York Times.

Reagan Deserved Hitler Treatment

"If Hitler had more friends, CBS wouldn’t have aired [its Hitler mini-series] either."
– Philadelphia Daily News TV critic Ellen Gray, as quoted by the Washington Post’s Lisa de Moraes in a November 4 column.

Would He Appreciate the Lies?

"Michael, your dad comes, came from the Hollywood community, and he knows what the issues of artistic freedom are. How do you think he’d react?"
– ABC’s Charles Gibson to Michael Reagan on Good Morning America, November 4.

Victory for the "Unholy Trinity"

"Hallelujah! The Gipper is safe and the hated liberal media humbled. It’s a big victory for the ‘Elephant Echo Chamber,’ the unholy trinity of conservative talk radio, conservative Internet sites and the Republican National Committee....It’s good to know that network docu-dramas are, forthwith, supposed to be ‘true,’ unless, of course, the truth is somehow ‘offensive’ to the myth, then we’ll take the myth, as long as the myth corresponds to the reigning politics of the moment. One thing’s for sure: When they make The Bush Dynasty docu-drama, that ‘Mission Accomplished’ banner won’t be visible in the scene on the aircraft carrier."
– Senior Editor Jonathan Alter in a column posted on Newsweek’s section of MSNBC’s Web site, November 4.

http://newsbusters.org/node/7477

Remembering Liberal Media On CBS's Yanked 'Reagans' Film
Posted by Tim Graham on September 8, 2006 - 07:18.
It's been natural for some to link the Clintonista campaign against ABC's "The Path to 9/11" with the efforts of MRC and other groups protesting CBS's flimsy biopic on "The Reagans." (Rich Noyes makes one obvious point of difference: Clinton is cogent enough to defend himself. In the fall of 2003, Reagan was deep into his Alzheimer's disease and dying.) Brent Bozell columns from that time are here and here. Brent still believes that if ABC corrects its docudrama if it doesn't have documentation for something being challenged, it's doing the right thing.

For anyone who needs specifics on how the liberal media reacted to the conservative protests against "The Reagans," here's a set of quotes from the November 10, 2003 edition of our Notable Quotables newsletter:

Liberal Film Disproves Liberalism?

"Under pressure from conservative groups, CBS has exiled its highest-profile sweeps project, The Reagans, to Showtime....If nothing else, this act of creative sabotage should put to rest the idea that the media are liberal."
– USA Today TV critic Robert Bianco, November 5.

CBS Feared Conservative Bullies

Jerry Bowen: "Some analysts contend the conservative pressure is part of the nation's ongoing culture war."
Martin Kaplan, USC Annenberg School: "There's a well-organized conservative movement in this country that's in charge of its version of the truth, and they swing a big bat."
Bowen: "James Brolin, who plays Reagan, wasn't talking, but his manager was."
Jeff Wald, James Brolin's manager: "And we seem to be in a very oppressive era where they can censor something before they even see it."
– CBS Evening News, November 4.

Brian Williams: "Do you believe what has happened here with this mini-series on CBS amounts to extortion?"
Media critic Michael Wolff: "Certainly capitulation...."
Williams: "So is it hyperbolic to say, you know, when we give all these speeches about freedom in the United States, you can go ahead and stretch your artistic freedom, make a movie about whatever you wish as long as it doesn't cross a certain political or societal group?"
Wolff: "Absolutely. If the group is well-organized and there is no group as well-organized as the right wing in America at this point in time, you're going to be in big trouble."
– CNBC’s The News with Brian Williams, November 4.

Creating a "Soviet-Style Chill"

"His [Ronald Reagan’s] supporters credit him with forcing down the Iron Curtain, so it is odd that some of them have helped create the Soviet-style chill embedded in the idea that we, as a nation, will not allow critical portrayals of one of our own recent leaders."
– Editorial in the November 5 New York Times.

Reagan Deserved Hitler Treatment

"If Hitler had more friends, CBS wouldn’t have aired [its Hitler mini-series] either."
– Philadelphia Daily News TV critic Ellen Gray, as quoted by the Washington Post’s Lisa de Moraes in a November 4 column.

Would He Appreciate the Lies?

"Michael, your dad comes, came from the Hollywood community, and he knows what the issues of artistic freedom are. How do you think he’d react?"
– ABC’s Charles Gibson to Michael Reagan on Good Morning America, November 4.

Victory for the "Unholy Trinity"

"Hallelujah! The Gipper is safe and the hated liberal media humbled. It’s a big victory for the ‘Elephant Echo Chamber,’ the unholy trinity of conservative talk radio, conservative Internet sites and the Republican National Committee....It’s good to know that network docu-dramas are, forthwith, supposed to be ‘true,’ unless, of course, the truth is somehow ‘offensive’ to the myth, then we’ll take the myth, as long as the myth corresponds to the reigning politics of the moment. One thing’s for sure: When they make The Bush Dynasty docu-drama, that ‘Mission Accomplished’ banner won’t be visible in the scene on the aircraft carrier."
– Senior Editor Jonathan Alter in a column posted on Newsweek’s section of MSNBC’s Web site, November 4.

http://newsbusters.org/node/7477

This one is all on the media--they cave to political pressure, pure and simple. This should be a lesson to everyone when they listen to "news" being reported. All the news that the politicos think is fit to print except for the stuff they don't have enough money to squelch.

Lets not forget about Keith Liberalmen over at PMSNBC....

Olbermann Skips Own Hypocrisy on The Reagans v 9/11 Movie, Castigates MRC's Bozell
Posted by Brent Baker on September 8, 2006 - 22:48.
MSNBC's Keith Olbermann, who in late 2003 devoted a fraction of the time to CBS's The Reagans movie as he has just this week to liberal complaints about ABC's The Path to 9/11 (he's led Countdown with it for two nights in a row), castigated MRC President Brent Bozell for supposed hypocrisy in criticizing The Reagans while not denouncing the new 9/11 movie. Naming Bozell his “Worst Person in the World” on Friday's show, Olbermann ridiculed him as “Bozo the Clown: Right-wing hysteric Brent Bozell weighing-in in his usual light-weight manner.” Olbermann quoted how on The Path to 9/11, Bozell wrote in his column that “as a docudrama, it has taken certain poetic license with history,” but on the Reagan movie Bozell said “there is no such thing as creative license to invent falsehoods about people. I don't care who you are, you don't have that right.” Olbermann snidely lectured: “Hey, Brent, when you look in the mirror, how many faces do you see? The rest of us count at least two. Brent Bozell, today's Worst Person in the World!”

Olbermann ignored how saying the movie takes “poetic license” is criticism and how on Wednesday's Scarborough Country, Bozell asserted: "I think that if you have a scene or two scenes or three scenes, important scenes, that do not have any bearing on reality and you can edit them, I think they should edit them.”

Video clip (45 seconds): Real 1.3 MB or Windows Media (1.6 MB), plus MP3 audio (275 KB)

Bozell's contention, I believe, is that the two movies are not equivalent since The Reagans, which aired on Showtime, was riddled throughout with misrepresentations and was set to air when Ronald Reagan, suffering from Alzheimer's, could not respond; while The Path to 9/11 is about 98 percent accurate with just a few scenes in question and Bill Clinton is fully capable of responding. Plus: the media are making sure everyone knows about Team Clinton's take on the ABC movie.

On Wednesday's Scarborough Country, Bozell also lamented: “I wish that this had stuck to being a documentary and not gone the way of docudramas, but it did. There will be some things that people on the Clinton side disagree with, as do the Bush people, as well. But I don't think, from what I saw, I didn't see any deliberate attempt to bash either the Clinton side or the Bush side. Look, both administrations do bear a degree of responsibility with all the warning signals that we had that were overlooked.”

Olbermann's September 8 Countdown item, which followed his runner-up to a man in Slovakia who, after an auto accident, police found “unconscious with head injuries, his pants off, and a pump on his penis,” which he called a “related topic” to Bozell:

“But the winner, in a related topic, Bozo the Clown: Right-wing hysteric Brent Bozell weighing-in in his usual light-weight manner on the controversy over The Path to 9/11 movie, he writes, quote: 'As a docudrama, it has taken certain poetic license with history.' Three years ago in the middle of the controversy over the CBS docudrama about Ronald Reagan, Mr. Bozell said quote: 'There is no such thing as creative license to invent falsehoods about people. I don't care who you are, you don't have that right.' Hey, Brent, when you look in the mirror, how many faces do you see? The rest of us count at least two. Brent Bozell, today's Worst Person in the World!”
Olbermann's contemporary quote of Bozell's came from Bozell's September 6 column. The paragraph in full:

“Serious scholars of current events, not to mention some of those named in the film, may take issue with parts of this presentation. The movie is based on the report of the 9/11 Commission, which itself is not infallible in its conclusions on what went wrong and what needs to fixed. Moreover, up front the moviemakers note it has composite characters and manipulates the time of events for a better movie experience. As a 'docudrama' it has taken certain poetic license with history.”
Bozell's 2003 quote came from a November 5, 2003 AP article by David Bauder.

I can't imagine Olbermann tracked down these two quotes himself, so I presume some left-wing blogger or Web site pointed out the supposed hypocrisy. Terry Krepel of ConWebWatch, who on Thursday posted this item, “Bozell's Double Standard,” on his ConWebBlog may have inspired Olbermann and his producers, but Krepel cited a different 2003 quote.

Brent Baker's blog | login or register to post comments
Categories: Countdown | Keith Olbermann | MRC/NB News | Video

Comment viewing options
Flat list - collapsed Flat list - expanded Threaded list - collapsed Threaded list - expanded Date - newest first Date - oldest first 10 comments per page 30 comments per page 50 comments per page 70 comments per page 90 comments per page On topic comments All comments Insightful comments
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

bigtimer Says:
September 8, 2006 - 23:48
Wow.... Brent made it to the four people that watch Ubermann's show to the "Worst Person of the World"...

Question all, so you think the vote was fair or do you think we need a recount?

Btw...great job on Fox and Friends this am and thank you for the tireless work you have always done...look what you have accomplished...and I am so glad I am able to be a small particle of the results in the long run of it all.

The good guys always win in the end.

http://newsbusters.org/node/7496

I will watch (maybe) but I have to agree with Bully. There is one more vision I would add that Bully left out: that of Muslims dancing in the streets and celebrating the death of our countrymen. I will never forget nor forgive that.

Indeed, we cannot forget that either. Also let's not forget that those images were from a minority of Muslims around the world. Let's not forget the candle-light vigil in support on the 9/11 victima and America held in Teheran and elsewhere in the Muslim world.

I'm sorry, but the facts lend :laugh: themselves :laugh: to such, :laugh: Just check :laugh: out the :laugh: transcripts :laugh: for the :laugh: past 3 :laugh: months. :laugh:

The laughing is just down right rude.

Maybe he is a liberal. From a rightist politcal philosophy, he probably would appear to liberal. All I was saying is that he appears to be more moderate. I don't care for him and don't watch him much, but I wouldn't go as far as saying he is librull.

Forum List

Back