DNA links prove Jews are a ‘RACE,' says genetics expert

dvinman

VIP Member
Dec 14, 2009
DNA links prove Jews are a ‘race,' says genetics expert

Conjuring fear of Nazism and anti-Semitism, Jews recoil from the thought that Judaism might be a race, but medical geneticist Harry Ostrer insists the 'biological basis of Jewishness' cannot be ignored.

In his new book, “Legacy: A Genetic History of the Jewish People,” Harry Ostrer, a medical geneticist and professor at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, claims that Jews are different, and the differences are not just skin deep. Jews exhibit, he writes, a distinctive genetic signature. Considering that the Nazis tried to exterminate Jews based on their supposed racial distinctiveness, such a conclusion might be a cause for concern. But Ostrer sees it as central to Jewish identity.

“Who is a Jew?” has been a poignant question for Jews throughout our history. It evokes a complex tapestry of Jewish identity made up of different strains of religious beliefs, cultural practices and blood ties to ancient Palestine and modern Israel. But the question, with its echoes of genetic determinism, also has a dark side.

Geneticists have long been aware that certain diseases, from breast cancer to Tay-Sachs, disproportionately affect Jews. Ostrer, who is also director of genetic and genomic testing at Montefiore Medical Center, goes further, maintaining that Jews are a homogeneous group with all the scientific trappings of what we used to call a “race.”

DNA links prove Jews are a

How does one convert to a race?

Geneticists can say what they like. Inbreeding clearly has left markers would be my guess . . . no disrespect intended. It just seems logical.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
DNA links prove Jews are a ‘race,' says genetics expert

Conjuring fear of Nazism and anti-Semitism, Jews recoil from the thought that Judaism might be a race, but medical geneticist Harry Ostrer insists the 'biological basis of Jewishness' cannot be ignored.

In his new book, “Legacy: A Genetic History of the Jewish People,” Harry Ostrer, a medical geneticist and professor at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, claims that Jews are different, and the differences are not just skin deep. Jews exhibit, he writes, a distinctive genetic signature. Considering that the Nazis tried to exterminate Jews based on their supposed racial distinctiveness, such a conclusion might be a cause for concern. But Ostrer sees it as central to Jewish identity.

“Who is a Jew?” has been a poignant question for Jews throughout our history. It evokes a complex tapestry of Jewish identity made up of different strains of religious beliefs, cultural practices and blood ties to ancient Palestine and modern Israel. But the question, with its echoes of genetic determinism, also has a dark side.

Geneticists have long been aware that certain diseases, from breast cancer to Tay-Sachs, disproportionately affect Jews. Ostrer, who is also director of genetic and genomic testing at Montefiore Medical Center, goes further, maintaining that Jews are a homogeneous group with all the scientific trappings of what we used to call a “race.”

DNA links prove Jews are a

I was having a discussion with a Jewish American woman once, and she was extremely upset with this scientific finding because her husband had converted to Judaism from Christianity to marry her. Such a finding, in her eyes, was calling her husband not a real Jew. I just found myself, as a Christian, thinking about what Jesus had to say about those who led others away from Him, and I had to say a prayer for her soul.

While there are certain genetic commonalities which are no doubt due to endogamous marriages being the rule for so many generations, Judaism is not now and was clearly never a 'race'.

If one reads the Book of Exodus, the people at Mt Sinai were 'a mixed multitude' - and it's only those who agreed to accept the Sinai Covenant.

As was pointed out, it's not possible to convert to a 'race' - which the same Book of Exodus makes provision for people to become part of the Jewish People, so obviously converts were accepted right from the beginning.

One such convert, who gets her own Scroll, is Ruth - the great-great grandmother of King David.

"I was having a discussion with a Jewish American woman once, and she was extremely upset with this scientific finding because her husband had converted to Judaism from Christianity to marry her."

I find that incredible, because it's absolutely UNnecessary for a man to convert to marry a Jewish woman. In fact, that is one specific reason a rabbi will turn somone away, if they think they should convert for marriage.
Someone has been giving you inaccurate information about that, Sherri!

"Such a finding, in her eyes, was calling her husband not a real Jew."
More nonsense, as I think I've already explained here. As for 'not a real Jew' - the sages expressly forbid anyone to look down on ANY convert. FYI, converts take a Hebrew name indicating they are the child of Abraham and Sarah themselves - and anyone who would insinuate they're 'not a real Jew' would have to be very ignorant indeed.

"I just found myself, as a Christian, thinking about what Jesus had to say about those who led others away from Him, and I had to say a prayer for her soul."
How can you be sure 'she led him away'? (Especially since any conversion was absolutely NOT required). And if she did, how could that NOT be YHVH's will - how would one presume to know His will for that man, anyway?

If you were going to say a prayer for anyone's soul, why not his? It had to have been his decision.....just like it was Jim Croce's!

Do you have to convert to judaism to marry a jew? - Yahoo! Answers

Conversion and Marriage - Dating

Last edited:
How does one convert to a race?

Geneticists can say what they like. Inbreeding clearly has left markers would be my guess . . . no disrespect intended. It just seems logical.

Shuddup already, just buy My Book, shmeckle
Harry Ostrer

hahahaha. I didnt read the link but Ashkenazis and Shepardics are different from each other just like Greeks and Norwegians. but they are all caucasians.

btw it is Ashkenazis who are the bright ones who win all the Nobel Prizes and such.

The notion that people can convert to Judaism is somewhat illusory.

Technically, yes, it's possible.

Do they truly accept you?

One rabbi was asked when to trust the convert. After the 10th generation, was his reply. Clearly, this is not an open group, as Christians are.

And your reference for this pseudo-apocryphal bit of 'information' would be.......???

So the single Christian pastor in ?Alabama declaring that 'Whites are GOD's Chosen People' is fully representative of the attitudes of all Christians - at least according to what passes for 'logic' with you.

Forum List

Back