DJ suspended over Reagan celebration

brneyedgrl80

May 25, 2004
Phoenix-it's-dry-heat-Arizona
Man, so many news articles this morning that are interesting!

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0611ReaganDJ11-ON.html

Associated Press
Jun. 11, 2004 06:45 AM

FAIRBANKS, Alaska - A disc jockey at a university radio station who turned a Sunday radio show into a "celebration" that Ronald Reagan "was finally dead" has been suspended.

The disc jockey, a University of Alaska Fairbanks undergraduate who goes by the call name "Spider Bui," said his show was a reaction to the media's positive portrayal of Reagan after his death Saturday. Managers at KSUA-FM said the show was in poor taste and was put on without permission.

Neither the student nor station staff would reveal the student's real name.

No tape of the show was available. According to the disc jockey, he berated Reagan for his foreign policy in Latin America, Iraq and Afghanistan, and for what the student called a "homophobic" response to the AIDS epidemic.

"I said that I was sick of all of the media that was glorifying Reagan and rewriting history that was pretty despicable," he said. "Basically, what the gist of the show was, it was a celebration that Ronald Reagan was dead, was finally dead."

He said he played requests such as "These Boots Are Made For Walking" and told listeners he wanted to "walk over the newly laid dirt" on Reagan's grave. One listener said the disc jockey advocated urinating on Reagan's grave, but the student said he does not remember saying that.

The show generated numerous complaints, KSUA program director Chip Brookes said.

"Regardless of how you feel about (Reagan) or what he did ... we can all agree on a certain boundary of poor taste," Brookes told the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.

Station officials said the disc jockey has been suspended pending an investigation, and that further action could be taken.

Brookes that the student was working as a fill-in disc jockey and was supposed to play a prerecorded show.

"No one wants to censor anybody," Brookes said. "At the same time, we feel like this particular individual sort of abused a position of trust we put him in."

The disc jockey said more than two-thirds of his callers supported his message, and that he stands by everything he said.

Originally posted by brneyedgrl80
"I said that I was sick of all of the media that was glorifying Reagan and rewriting history that was pretty despicable," he said. "Basically, what the gist of the show was, it was a celebration that Ronald Reagan was dead, was finally dead."

He said he played requests such as "These Boots Are Made For Walking" and told listeners he wanted to "walk over the newly laid dirt" on Reagan's grave. One listener said the disc jockey advocated urinating on Reagan's grave, but the student said he does not remember saying that.

What a little bastard. I'm sure his parents are proud. :rolleyes:

"Regardless of how you feel about (Reagan) or what he did ... we can all agree on a certain boundary of poor taste," Brookes told the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner.
:clap:

Originally posted by fuzzykitten99
Just when i thought Liberals couldn't sink any lower...they drop to below a paramecium.

Quite poor taste displayed by this kid.

But he is just that, and in no way representative of or affiliated with any political organization.

Originally posted by nycflasher
Quite poor taste displayed by this kid.

But he is just that, and in no way representative of or affiliated with any political organization.

He's a lib like you, nyc. Willing to lie and rewrite the past, and still having the balls to accuse the other side of doing just that.

"By any means necessary"

I believe that the quote "By any means necessary" was by Malcolm X who was definitely not a liberal. Mulim later turn civil rights activist yes, but not liberal.

You cannot classify this DJ a liberal, I wouldn't claim him anyways.

He's just an idiot.

Originally posted by brneyedgrl80
I believe that the quote "By any means necessary" was by Malcolm X who was definitely not a liberal. Mulim later turn civil rights activist yes, but not liberal.

You cannot classify this DJ a liberal, I wouldn't claim him anyways.

He's just an idiot.

what WOULD you classify him as? a conservative, even a very moderate one would not do this...I thought Clinton's behavior was pathetic at the service...this guy made Clinton look like the precher's son.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
He's a lib like you, nyc. Willing to lie and rewrite the past, and still having the balls to accuse the other side of doing just that.

"By any means necessary"

Yeah, my posts represent the same sentiment that his show did.:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back