DIY Passphrases the NSA can't guess...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Interesting article from The Intercept..I'm not endorsing it...as I'm certainly no cyber-security or encription expert...just passing it on.

<snip>

In this post, I [the author...not the OP] outline a simple way to come up with easy-to-memorize but very secure passphrases. It’s the latest entry in an ongoing series of stories offering solutions — partial and imperfect but useful solutions — to the many surveillance-related problems we aggressively report about here at The Intercept.

It turns out, coming up with a good passphrase by just thinking of one is incredibly hard, and if your adversary really is capable of one trillion guesses per second, you’ll probably do a bad job of it. If you use an entirely random sequence of characters it might be very secure, but it’s also agonizing to memorize (and honestly, a waste of brain power).

But luckily this usability/security trade-off doesn’t have to exist.

<continued @ link>

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
I always have to put my passwords on my computer, and then I forget where I put them. That's why I liked it when the military came out with the common access cards (CAC). All you had to do was insert the card into the PC, and you were good to go. Then again, folks were constantly forgetting and leaving the card in the PC at quitting time. Then you couldn't get back in the gate the next morning because that same CAC card was an access card as well. Well, ahem! I was always able to make it back in, even without the CAC card because those kids on the gate felt sorry for this old codger because they too had left their CAC cards in the PC as well. Then there were the retired military types, or the reservists, who left the CAC card in the PC at all times and used their military ID's to get in the gate.

Forum List

Back