Dixie Chicks Shut Out at AMC Awards

Immaterial; that wasn't the argument being made here. We were being told that a laughable little handful of extremists were whining, because the mainstream record-buying and concert-going public were exposing them as impotent little tyrants. I've seen it before - this little semantic sleight-of-hand with the terms "mainstream" and "extremist".

A 75% nosedive sounds like a pretty sound repudiation by the mainstream to me.

Yeah, that is kind of a silly argument, but despite what people think of them they're still pretty successful...

A 75% nosedive sounds like a pretty sound repudiation by the mainstream to me.

So, to what do you attribute all of the other Top Ten acts of 2003 (except Celine Dion) for completely falling off the Top 25 list?

What did they do to be even greater failures than the Dixie Chicks?

It must have been pretty bad...

All of those acts must have done something for your "cause and effect" argument to hold up. Every one of those acts must have somehow offended their fan base like the Dixie Chicks since they fell even farther than the Chicks... pony up. Bring the noise baby!

sitarro pointing out switched letters.... classic...

Way to show the supremacy of the right-wing argument!

BUWAHAHAHAHAHA

Typical right-wing: "When all else fails, point out typos in red!"

The truly funny thing is, Sittaro has got this huge chip on his shoulder about how unsuccessful his life is, that he is constantly trying to teach others about life. He's one of those "Look, folks, I am the the Be-All and End-All of what life is about. I am the king of cool, the master of mysticism, the Emperor of Etiquette - listen to me!!". In fact, the first time I came across him he was acting like the school headmaster chastising somebody for typos, until I pointed out that he had made a couple himself, at which point he got all pissy. Been downhill from there. I could go back and find posts of his with typos, but who really cares? Pathetic huh?

GunnyL said:
Try again. The Grammy's have proven themselves nothing but a "real" fraud.

No shit; does anyone remember the Grammy winner in 1989, for the newly-created category, "hard rock/metal"?

Jethro Tull.

Now, here's an organization with its finger on the pulse of mainstream America...

No shit; does anyone remember the Grammy winner in 1989, for the newly-created category, "hard rock/metal"?

Jethro Tull.

Now, here's an organization with its finger on the pulse of mainstream America...

I used to love watching the Grammy Awards, but that particular incident put me off them for life. It was then that I knew they were full of shit...

So, to what do you attribute all of the other Top Ten acts of 2003 (except Celine Dion) for completely falling off the Top 25 list?

What did they do to be even greater failures than the Dixie Chicks?

It must have been pretty bad...

All of those acts must have done something for your "cause and effect" argument to hold up. Every one of those acts must have somehow offended their fan base like the Dixie Chicks since they fell even farther than the Chicks... pony up. Bring the noise baby!

Nope - no good. Toby Keith is still well up there. Besides, we need to treat like cases alike here - and we're talking about country artists. Unlike other genres, country artists don't experience a nosedive in popularity because they've aged a few years; they have to really shoot themselves in the foot.

The truly funny thing is, Sittaro has got this huge chip on his shoulder about how unsuccessful his life is, that he is constantly trying to teach others about life. He's one of those "Look, folks, I am the the Be-All and End-All of what life is about. I am the king of cool, the master of mysticism, the Emperor of Etiquette - listen to me!!". In fact, the first time I came across him he was acting like the school headmaster chastising somebody for typos, until I pointed out that he had made a couple himself, at which point he got all pissy. Been downhill from there. I could go back and find posts of his with typos, but who really cares? Pathetic huh?

120 something word post on me, how flatering, I had no idea how obsessed you were with me.You continue to make these claims about me Gumby, you know they aren't true and yet you repeat them over and over, who are you trying to convince. You assume a great deal about me by a few posts on message boards, why do you care so much?

Nobody makes a living moving baggage around, almost everyone out there is doing it for the benefits and doing something else for a living. I don't claim to be a writer, but I do try to proof my posts, sometimes I miss a typo or three.

You, on the other hand, claim to make a living writing......a writer that publishes work(posts on the internet) full of typos looks a bit foolish.

120 something word post on me, how flatering, I had no idea how obsessed you were with me.You continue to make these claims about me Gumby, you know they aren't true and yet you repeat them over and over, who are you trying to convince. You assume a great deal about me by a few posts on message boards, why do you care so much?

Nobody makes a living moving baggage around, almost everyone out there is doing it for the benefits and doing something else for a living. I don't claim to be a writer, but I do try to proof my posts, sometimes I miss a typo or three.

You, on the other hand, claim to make a living writing......a writer that publishes work(posts on the internet) full of typos looks a bit foolish.

Before I answer fully, hey, Sitty, how do you spelling flattering?? :eusa_clap:

You're the one who seems to be following me around it seems. Yeah, my posts are full of typos....:lol: And the thing is, I DON'T check my posts for typos, you do, and still you have them. And if you do check them, and some slip through, why chastise those that have them also? And don't say it has anything to do with me being a writer - you were doing that type of stuff long before you knew what I did for a living. BTW, I proof a lot of other writer's pieces, and I always find typos. You think when a person writes a story it is typo-free? Kinda naive don't you think?

Nope - no good. Toby Keith is still well up there. Besides, we need to treat like cases alike here - and we're talking about country artists. Unlike other genres, country artists don't experience a nosedive in popularity because they've aged a few years; they have to really shoot themselves in the foot.

OK... I'll make it easier for you, just explain one artist's apparent "repudiation by the mainstream"... explain Toby Keith's nosedive...

He went from $106 million to $38 million: A 66% fall.
The Dixie Chicks from $100 million to $27 million: A 72% fall.

And, according to you, "country artists don't experience a nosedive in popularity because they've aged a few years; they have to really shoot themselves in the foot."

So, explain Toby Keith and your "cause and effect" "logic" will be proven to me. What did Toby Keith do to be almost as big of a failure as the Dixie Chicks?

Come on... get that shovel out... dig dig dig...

My first career was in the music business. Quite a few things can affect year to year grosses; the main one's being whether or not performers have a new album and the number of tour days. Some may choose to play smaller venues for artistic reasons. Then there is also the fact that Show Business Popularity is transitory. Very few acts maintain their peak grosses throughout there entire careers.

OK... I'll make it easier for you, just explain one artist's apparent "repudiation by the mainstream"... explain Toby Keith's nosedive...

He went from $106 million to $38 million: A 66% fall.
The Dixie Chicks from $100 million to $27 million: A 72% fall.

And, according to you, "country artists don't experience a nosedive in popularity because they've aged a few years; they have to really shoot themselves in the foot."

So, explain Toby Keith and your "cause and effect" "logic" will be proven to me. What did Toby Keith do to be almost as big of a failure as the Dixie Chicks?

Come on... get that shovel out... dig dig dig...

Toby Keith's continued success enabled him to move up in status; he now owns his own label, and others beat their brains out, touring and generating money on his behalf. Nice work if you can get it.

It's part of my job to stay on top of new country material, and I can tell you that Toby ain't been recording or touring much. Why should he? They just keep bringing him bags of money.

They make far more money on the merchandise and concession sales than they do on the box office.

Toby Keith's continued success enabled him to move up in status; he now owns his own label, and others beat their brains out, touring and generating money on his behalf. Nice work if you can get it.

It's part of my job to stay on top of new country material, and I can tell you that Toby ain't been recording or touring much. Why should he? They just keep bringing him bags of money.

So, in other words, you have no explanation and your "logic" has fallen apart.

Just say it so we can get past this nonsense.

So, in other words, you have no explanation and your "logic" has fallen apart.

The man has ridden a successful career as an artist into mogul status. He doesn't tour as much because he doesn't have to; others tour on his behalf - he's got a full-time job counting his money. The Chicks, on the other hand, don't tour as much because - oh, how did Ian put it? Oh, yeah - "Their appeal has become more selective". Yeah - that's the ticket. Cancellations - the alienation of their core fan base - the ire of mainstream country radio - and now, the kiss of death: a Grammy. It's sad.

jasendorf said:
Just say it so we can get past this nonsense.

We were past it some time ago. You just can't stop playing "wishing makes it so" long enough to face the truth.

Songs used for commercial jingles = less need to disrupt life by constant touring

So, the fact that the Dixie Chicks are the highest selling female act of all-time doesn't give them any of the same luxury?

Not to mention that they've all had babies in the past two years... but I suppose you don't put much credence in them creating life... they've just been slacking...

Forum List

Back