Dixie Chicks Dismal Sales Send Them To Canada

jillian said:
I wonder what's the lesser of two evils...trying to put trailer wheels on the white house or selling it to the Saudis and Haliburton.

And I'd put Bill's brain cells up against Georgie's any day of the week. You?

Watch yourself there. Billy boy sold us out to the Chinese and the North Koreans.

And enough with the haliburton. You sound like an ignorant fool. Because Clinton gave no bid contracts to Haliburton for Yugoslavia. Was he in their pocket also?

jillian said:
The Repubs turn in their own? Really? Is that why De-Lay was able to change the composition of the ethics committee to put in more favorable people? What I've seen is that the Republican talking points are bought into hook, line and sinker by some.

As for people criticizing...they do, but only on the immigration issue. And I think there's a whole myriad of reasons for that. But Bush had to make a choice among his constituents...he chose the "haves and have mores" and decided cheap labor was the way to go. I take issue with that, too.

I think you're not drawing distinctions between Democrats. Some are way to the left... that's not where I am. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, and I was with Bush through his going in to Afghanistan. I rooted for him after 9/11. You may or not believe that, but I did. I kind of felt I had a vested interest in his success. It's not my fault that he decided more than half the country doesn't exist and that he shouldn't represent our interests in the slightest. If he represents yours, that's fine...but I'd be hard-pressed to find an issue I agree with him on. And believe me, I'd love to.

OK...one issue... I agree that we shouldn't have anything to do with Hamas until it disavows terrorism. The left of my party sucks on the Israel issue.

Spoken like a true Zionist! Israel first.

jillian said:
what do you call liberals? The 2/3 of the country who think we're on the wrong track? Kind of a broad definition. :mm:

You might want to show us a breakdown of Bush's poll ratings with a per-topic breakdown. You'll probably find that most of the conservatives are more diapproving of his handling of border security than anything else. You also find that a significant portion of those who "disapprove" are simply annoyed by the rise in gas prices at the pump.

Personally, I don't care much for polls. Polls are IMHO unreliable at best and extremely biased at worst. Polls can be made to reflect the desires of the sponsors of the poll. I could craft a poll which I can guarantee GWB would receive a 75% approval rating, or a poll which would show GWB having a less than 10% approval rating. But it's not just the wording, but in finding a representative sample from society which is a proportional subset of the voting public. And of course there's always the statistical application of the literal poll results to society as a whole which can easily come under fire.

jillian said:
My point was they're crying all the way to the bank. By the by, tours are very expensive to mount. There's money to be had, but most artists tour to sell their music, not their shows (which isn't to say the top acts don't make money touring...they just make a lot more from sales). I don't think they much care WHERE their sales come from.

Perhaps. As I've stated, the Chicks seem content to move their music from the country markets to the country-pop crossover markets. It's not a bad move as other artists can attest (Shania Twain comes to mind, as does Amy Grant). On the other hand, the pop markets are fickle and do not necessarily encourage longevity for a group. My bet is that the Chicks are hoping to cash in on their anti-GWB stances to bolster their sales in the pop-market in order to offset decreased sales (and ticket revenue) from the country-market. It might also be just a happy coincidence for the Chicks, and if so, more power to them.

BTW, touring revenue is a combination of direct revenue and indirect revenue for musicians. The direct revenue comes from their share of the gate and on-site sales. The indirect revenue comes from the public relations gains they experience by "connecting" with the public at live events. This indirect revenue increases the sales of their retail products of which they get a share as well, but a smaller percentage than they receive for sales at live events. There's more to it, but my main point is that the live events are crucial for most modern artists.

Forum List

Back