Dixie Chicks Dismal Sales Send Them To Canada

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Dismal sales send Dixie Chicks north
Adding dates in Canada after concerts in U.S. put on hold

Dixie Chicks
After poor ticket sales in at least 12 cities, the politically provocative Dixie Chicks have put their U.S. tour on hold and added more dates in Canada.

Although concert promoters say the shows have not been canceled yet, the slow sales likely will lead to stops being dropped or rescheduled in cities such as Houston, Memphis and St. Louis, the Tennessean newspaper reported.

Some arenas have sold only about 5,000 tickets in contrast to 2003, when the venues mostly were sold out within a few hours. The pop-country group has sold a little more than half of the 14,000 tickets available for a planned Oct. 3 concert in Nashville. When the Chicks played in the city in 2003, tickets were sold out in the first week, the paper said.

In response, the group has added more dates in Canada, including two in Toronto. Tickets in northern U.S. cities such as Chicago and Philadelphia are selling better than in southern and Midwest markets.

Many country music fans turned on the Texas trio in 2003 after lead singer Natalie Maines made disparaging comments about President Bush in front of a London audience.

"Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the Unites States is from Texas," Maines said.

Radio stations immediately pulled their songs from rotation and the group's No. 1 single, "Travelin' Soldier," plummeted to No. 63 within days.

As WND reported in 2003, two disc jockeys in Colorado Springs, Colo., were suspended for playing the group's songs. Station Manager Jerry Grant told WND the decision in the "military town" was based on "a huge outcry from our listeners: Do not play the Dixie Chicks."

WorldNetDaily also reported a radio station in North Carolina offered ticket holders of a Dixie Chicks concert in Greensboro the opportunity to use their tickets at an alternative "patriotic event" the station sponsored the same night – just in case Chicks fans want to send a message to the group in response to its comments about Bush.

After the controversy, Maines apologized for the comments but then retracted her apology last month.

"I don't feel that way anymore, "she told Time magazine. "I don't feel like [the president] is owed any respect whatsoever."

The group is not doing well on the country charts as most country stations have refused to add its new single, "Not Ready to Make Nice." The angry lyrics take jabs at fans and program directors that boycotted the group after the London comments.

The Chicks' album "Taking the Long Way Home," however, is No. 1 on Billboard's album chart. Many industry experts credit those sales to the influx of media coverage surrounding the album release, including appearances on CBS's "60 Minutes" and a cover story in Time magazine.

Despite the controversy, Maines remains defiant. On the Dixie Chicks Official Artist Club website, she writes a letter to fans explaining how she called Ozzy Ozbourne for public relations advice.

"He said 'f*** it.' I like that advice. I think I'll do just that. So from here on out when you call for a statement, explanation, apology, etc., we are just going to have to refer you to this letter."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=50652

Oh well? :)

jillian said:
Somehow I don't think they're crying too much. :tng:

Still Number One on the Billboard Country Charts...

Poor Rascal Flats.

If they are, it's a lie. They can't even get on the radio around here, and their CDs are dust collectors in the stores, and we are their home market.

There music originally was good. They should have stuck to it.

GunnyL said:
If they are, it's a lie. They can't even get on the radio around here, and their CDs are dust collectors in the stores, and we are their home market.

There music originally was good. They should have stuck to it.

Ummmmmm...Billboard Magazine has never been accused of not accurately reporting sales.

It's also the most downloaded song on the internet. :beer:

jillian said:
Ummmmmm...Billboard Magazine has never been accused of not accurately reporting sales.

you bet--they're out polling all the dems :banana:

jillian said:

WHAT is the alleged most downloaded song on the internet?

I don't know much about Billboard magazine, but I DO know the country and western crowd, and they get NO play. Hard to be No 1 that way.

GunnyL said:

I don't know much about Billboard magazine, but I DO know the country and western crowd, and they get NO play. Hard to be No 1 that way.

Billboard Magazine is kind of the "bible" for the recording industry. It's what they use to track sales and industry news. Billboard isn't about to risk its reputation for a group of singers.

True, they aren't getting play on country stations, but it's not a particularly big group of folk who don't buy music because they disagree with someone's politics. And I'm not certain they aren't selling more because people don't like the fact that they aren't getting play.

jillian said:
Billboard Magazine is kind of the "bible" for the recording industry. It's what they use to track sales and industry news. Billboard isn't about to risk its reputation for a group of singers.

True, they aren't getting play on country stations, but it's not a particularly big group of folk who don't buy music because they disagree with someone's politics. And I'm not certain they aren't selling more because people don't like the fact that they aren't getting play.

well that certainly means that liberals-----uh listen to the Dixie Chicks ?

Highly significant !

GunnyL said:

Oh...and sorry...the song is "I'm Not Ready To Make Nice"....tracked by iTunes.

jillian said:

I beg to differ. I pay entertainers to entertain. I despise entertainers who use their position as entertainers to start spouting political bullshit. I also take issue with the intelligence-level of ANYONE who is so stupid as to insult their core audience.

The Dixie Chicks make their money with a pop crowd nowadays, not the country crowd which a mostly conservative, patriotic crowd.

The Texas country crowd can make or break an artist/group. They may still be "making it," but they got knocked off their pedestal REAL fast the second Natlie Main decided to do political commentary instead of sing, and do it in a foreign Nation no less, they screwed themselves.

And you obviously missed the ACMA. They were quite the butt of the joke. That's how much support country music provides them.

Heard "trouble" on the radio today. Hilarious. You can listen as well without actually buying the mp3.

Here is the story, .

This story is pretty simple... Towards the end of May, after reading the lyrics to the Dixie Chicks' soon-to-be-released song, 'Lubbock or Leave It,' Billy joked to David & Shawn that they should write a response song. After all, attacking the president is one thing... but attacking Lubbock is another altogether! Well, that joke turned into about two weeks of late night work, and the result is 'Trouble In The Henhouse.'
'Trouble In The Henhouse' is an up-tempo, high-octane country shuffle with a tongue-in-cheek message: Don't Mess With Lubbock! The song's lyrics include nine cleverly incorporated Buddy Holly and Dixie Chicks song titles, not to mention a couple of avian puns in order to directly answer the Chicks' attack on The Hub City. People everywhere are getting a kick out of this little number...

If you're reading this, you probably heard about the song on the radio, from a friend, through email forwards, or online somewhere - the buzz is steadily building and has quickly become a bit deafening. So if you're ready to listen to the song (for the 1st time or the 50th!) and/or add it to your MP3 collection, you're only a couple of clicks away - enjoy!!

By the way, here are the lyrics for 'Lubbock or Leave It,' and 'Trouble In The Henhouse:'

Trouble in The Henhouse

Now you say we're hypocritical, and - girls - that may be true.
So maybe we'll just change our ways and start to follow through.
Yeah - we've seen the light, and we agree it's time to right our wrongs.
The first thing that we're gonna' do is stop buying Dixie Chick songs.

Chorus:

You birds have flown the coop; you've lost you're ever-lovin' minds.
Maybe you should just shut your mouths - yeah, maybe now's the time.
'Cause if you'd 'Think It Over,' maybe then you 'Fool's...' would see
This is as close to '...Paradise' as you will ever be.

For such a nonjudgmental group of open-minded girls,
You sure have said a mouthful about our little world.
Now you've been a 'Long Time Gone,' so 'Give It Up and Let it Go;'
We're better off 'Without You' - you're not welcome anymore.

Chorus

Ain't got time for Dixie Chickens
Lubbock, Texas is alive and kickin'
It don't matter what they say
This town will 'Not Fade Away'

Now we know that our old airport ain't the biggest one around,
But it sure did do a fine job shipping you straight out of town.
And as far as tribute statues go, I wouldn't hold my breath
Because Buddy is a legend, and you're not even second best.

Chorus

There's a pretty 'Wide Open Space...' between your ears.
I think your 'Sin Wagon' done lost its wheel.
Maybe it'd be better if you'd stop listening to those 'Voices Inside your Head.'

pegwinn said:
Heard "trouble" on the radio today. Hilarious. You can listen as well without actually buying the mp3.

Here is the story, .

This story is pretty simple... Towards the end of May, after reading the lyrics to the Dixie Chicks' soon-to-be-released song, 'Lubbock or Leave It,' Billy joked to David & Shawn that they should write a response song. After all, attacking the president is one thing... but attacking Lubbock is another altogether! Well, that joke turned into about two weeks of late night work, and the result is 'Trouble In The Henhouse.'
'Trouble In The Henhouse' is an up-tempo, high-octane country shuffle with a tongue-in-cheek message: Don't Mess With Lubbock! The song's lyrics include nine cleverly incorporated Buddy Holly and Dixie Chicks song titles, not to mention a couple of avian puns in order to directly answer the Chicks' attack on The Hub City. People everywhere are getting a kick out of this little number...

If you're reading this, you probably heard about the song on the radio, from a friend, through email forwards, or online somewhere - the buzz is steadily building and has quickly become a bit deafening. So if you're ready to listen to the song (for the 1st time or the 50th!) and/or add it to your MP3 collection, you're only a couple of clicks away - enjoy!!

By the way, here are the lyrics for 'Lubbock or Leave It,' and 'Trouble In The Henhouse:'

Trouble in The Henhouse

Now you say we're hypocritical, and - girls - that may be true.
So maybe we'll just change our ways and start to follow through.
Yeah - we've seen the light, and we agree it's time to right our wrongs.
The first thing that we're gonna' do is stop buying Dixie Chick songs.

Chorus:

You birds have flown the coop; you've lost you're ever-lovin' minds.
Maybe you should just shut your mouths - yeah, maybe now's the time.
'Cause if you'd 'Think It Over,' maybe then you 'Fool's...' would see
This is as close to '...Paradise' as you will ever be.

For such a nonjudgmental group of open-minded girls,
You sure have said a mouthful about our little world.
Now you've been a 'Long Time Gone,' so 'Give It Up and Let it Go;'
We're better off 'Without You' - you're not welcome anymore.

Chorus

Ain't got time for Dixie Chickens
Lubbock, Texas is alive and kickin'
It don't matter what they say
This town will 'Not Fade Away'

Now we know that our old airport ain't the biggest one around,
But it sure did do a fine job shipping you straight out of town.
And as far as tribute statues go, I wouldn't hold my breath
Because Buddy is a legend, and you're not even second best.

Chorus

There's a pretty 'Wide Open Space...' between your ears.
I think your 'Sin Wagon' done lost its wheel.
Maybe it'd be better if you'd stop listening to those 'Voices Inside your Head.'

I have got to hand it to southerners, they stick to their beliefs no matter what. Bravo!!!:salute:

dilloduck said:
well that certainly means that liberals-----uh listen to the Dixie Chicks ?

Highly significant !

what do you call liberals? The 2/3 of the country who think we're on the wrong track? Kind of a broad definition. :mm:

My point was they're crying all the way to the bank. By the by, tours are very expensive to mount. There's money to be had, but most artists tour to sell their music, not their shows (which isn't to say the top acts don't make money touring...they just make a lot more from sales). I don't think they much care WHERE their sales come from.

jillian said:
what do you call liberals? The 2/3 of the country who think we're on the wrong track? Kind of a broad definition. :mm:

Is this the same 2/3 that put Kerry in office because we were on the wrong track?

That number is bullshit and you know it. Now if you were to say the less than 50% that currently have no Federal power who think we're on the wrong track, I might be willing to listen.

Forum List

Back