Divided, We Stand?

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
How many stars in the American flag?

Fifty, you say? I'm not sure. If there were fifty, then citizens of liberal states and conservative states would join in common purpose on the blue field which is, after all, called, "the union."

Instead, it seems, we are recklessly tugging at the thread that holds us together. Today, liberals and conservatives barricade themselves in digital citadels where some media, with calculated bias, assure their viewers that what they already believe is correct. If we wall ourselves in castles of confirming information, I fear a new Cold War. This time, a cold civil war.

Given this danger, why do both parties promote almost nothing but divisive scandals? Because it is so much easier than health insurance or immigration reform. Taking on actual challenges would require work, and listening, and thought, and union.

"Divided, we stand"? Scott Pelley on our American flag, and our common purpose - CBS News

You’re right, it is a sad state we are in. Politics is almost entirely about winning elections and dirty campaigning unfortunately has proven to be the most effective tactic. We the people have become drama hungry puppets being fed by trolls. Don’t know how it changes but I hope something can change our course

Worse, it's a self-inflicted wound. No one is forcing us to behave this way.

Ego and tribalism.
5927f3e7-c6e6-4a13-b69c-f3919387bbf7-original.jpg

Fifty, you say? I'm not sure. If there were fifty, then citizens of liberal states and conservative states would join in common purpose on the blue field which is, after all, called, "the union."

Instead, it seems, we are recklessly tugging at the thread that holds us together. Today, liberals and conservatives barricade themselves in digital citadels where some media, with calculated bias, assure their viewers that what they already believe is correct. If we wall ourselves in castles of confirming information, I fear a new Cold War. This time, a cold civil war.

Given this danger, why do both parties promote almost nothing but divisive scandals? Because it is so much easier than health insurance or immigration reform. Taking on actual challenges would require work, and listening, and thought, and union.

"Divided, we stand"? Scott Pelley on our American flag, and our common purpose - CBS News

No political entity is more irresponsibly divisive than the media. Both parties are held hostage to it and average citizens are just clickbait fodder.

Pretty much correct.

The good news (if you want to call it that) is that the angry white men are dying off faster than ever thanks to the high fat/low fiber lifestyles of most in the South. With them, the bigotry, hatred, and (the worst part) the intellectual dishonesty and oneupmanship is dying off as well. So that is indeed good news. Not that people are dying but the basic bottom line result.

Pretty much correct.

The good news (if you want to call it that) is that the angry white men are dying off faster than ever thanks to the high fat/low fiber lifestyles of most in the South. With them, the bigotry, hatred, and (the worst part) the intellectual dishonesty and oneupmanship is dying off as well. So that is indeed good news. Not that people are dying but the basic bottom line result.

Just a question do you think they were born old?

Worse, it's a self-inflicted wound. No one is forcing us to behave this way.

Ego and tribalism.
5927f3e7-c6e6-4a13-b69c-f3919387bbf7-original.jpg
No one is forcing trump either
“U.S. taxpayers have spent $81 million for the president’s two dozen trips to Florida, according to a HuffPost analysis. They spent $17 million for his 15 trips to New Jersey, another $1 million so he could visit his resort in Los Angeles and at least $3 million for his two days in Scotland last summer ― $1.3 million of which went just for rental cars for the massive entourage that accompanies a president abroad.”

About this website

NYMAG.COM

The Taxpayer Tab for Trump’s Golf Outings Tops $100 Million: Report

Nice sentiment, but either Pelley is dense as hell, or simply does not understand the nature of those who covet power for its own sake.

One does not normally unite with an enemy striving to fundamentally change the country into a model that has failed wherever forced.

The Democratic Party is no longer American, and must be driven from political authority.

There are 34 other political parties out there. It's not as if they are not expendable.

Nice sentiment, but either Pelley is dense as hell, or simply does not understand the nature of those who covet power for its own sake.

One does not normally unite with an enemy striving to fundamentally change the country into a model that has failed wherever forced.

The Democratic Party is no longer American, and must be driven from political authority.

There are 34 other political parties out there. It's not as if they are not expendable.
You might not know it bk but Putin is the real head of your party

You’re right, it is a sad state we are in. Politics is almost entirely about winning elections and dirty campaigning unfortunately has proven to be the most effective tactic. We the people have become drama hungry puppets being fed by trolls. Don’t know how it changes but I hope something can change our course
It begins in places just like this. We may post because we won't to change hearts and mind but what we really do is build walls between us such that the opposition hears only what confirms their position. What we should be doing is creating threads that are more neutral where ideas can be shared and agreements can be reached. And secondly, we should use techniques that actually work. Calling someone a stupid idiot will never change their opinion and will just derail the thread.

Do discussions on USMB of race, religion, abortion, climate change, illegal immigration, etc change the minds of the opposition? I think not and that's because posters are far more interesting in stating their own opinion than actually changing the opinions of others.

No, lol. Your brain has russia at every synapse.

It begins in places just like this. We may post because we won't to change hearts and mind but what we really do is build walls between us such that the opposition hears only what confirms their position. What we should be doing is creating threads that are more neutral where ideas can be shared and agreements can be reached. And secondly, we should use techniques that actually work. Calling someone a stupid idiot will never change their opinion and will just derail the thread.

Do discussions on USMB of race, religion, abortion, climate change, illegal immigration, etc change the minds of the opposition? I think not and that's because posters are far more interesting in stating their own opinion than actually changing the opinions of others.
You’re right, most of what goes on here is trolling and fighting. I’ve engaged in some good debates which have caused me to rethink my positions and/or learn events and history that I wasn’t aware of. I’ve also been guilty of engaging in ugly attacking ways. In the end, we are all responsible for how we engage and we all need to better

Putin is in all parts of your brain 24/7 and has become the lefties boogeyman, second only to Trump.

I read much, much more than I post. And I'm not looking for evidence of my opinion, I read both sides.

I don't think I've had any of my opinions or beliefs reversed, but you can gain a bit of understanding of the opposing viewpoints and that's important too.

The problem is that your attitude only fuels the trolls and the division which strengths the wings of each party. You actually contribute to strengthening the movement that you are so adamantly against. Both parties actually have a lot of common areas as well. Why not focus on those. Not every issue has an absolute and opposite solution as defined by our ruling classes.

Places like this would be shut down for hate speech if the mainstream media got wind of the free speech violations happening here on a daily basis.

The problem is that your attitude only fuels the trolls and the division which strengths the wings of each party. You actually contribute to strengthening the movement that you are so adamantly against. Both parties actually have a lot of common areas as well. Why not focus on those. Not every issue has an absolute and opposite solution as defined by our ruling classes.
Very good post. Add the phenomena of first identify the messenger before decide your stance on a subject. The “who” is so much more important than the “what”.

In politics there is practically never a time when the two sides unite however, that does not mean the two sides can never cooperate. At this point in time, it appears cooperation is impossible but that will change as it always does.

Political idealists are always talking about the need for fundamental changes that will forever change the course of America. However, as long as there is a two party system, the course of this country will move to left and right as control in Washington changes.

New Topics

Forum List

Back