Divide by Zero or Overflow

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
I broke the most recent laptop my boyfriend gave me and now I am using a used one my friend gave me. But I decided to get this old desktop my mom has and set it up. I am trying to install an old program and I keep getting divide by zero or overflow. This desktop runs windows xp and the cd was designed for windows 95. How can I get this cd to install? Thanks in advance to the smart computer person who helps me. :)

I broke the most recent laptop my boyfriend gave me and now I am using a used one my friend gave me. But I decided to get this old desktop my mom has and set it up. I am trying to install an old program and I keep getting divide by zero or overflow. This desktop runs windows xp and the cd was designed for windows 95. How can I get this cd to install? Thanks in advance to the smart computer person who helps me. :)
Right click on the program's screen icon, select properties, then select compatibility.

Right click on the program's screen icon, select properties, then select compatibility.

Thanks, I did that and it asked me to select 256 or 600/800 and I did and it still didn't work. But I appreciate you responding.

Thanks, I did that and it asked me to select 256 or 600/800 and I did and it still didn't work. But I appreciate you responding.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. :dunno:

Your best bet is to search google for an answer to the specific program you are trying to install.
As an example, I love an old game called Red Alert. The game requires several tweaks to get it to work with a more modern Windows. Annnd more importantly, someone wrote a patch that fixes pretty much all of the problems and explains a few minor changes within the game - and it works flawlessly.
Each program is different, depending on when it was made and how many bygone protocols it originally was written for the "problems" could be simple, or advanced. And if advanced, there is probably a good geek out there who wrote a fix for you.

Forum List

Back