Diversity plan mayhem: Arts school can’t audition applicants anymore

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
NEW YORK POST:
Parents and even teachers at a Brooklyn performing arts school were shocked to learn Friday that the school can no longer audition prospective students under the district’s new diversity plan.

Families at the New Voices School of Academic and Creative Arts in Sunset Park were blindsided by the news a day after Mayor Bill de Blasio approved a scheme to scrap admissions standards at all middle schools in District 15.

“I had no idea this was happening. I’m going to have to go to a meeting, call someone,” said longtime district resident Eddie Rosario, 57, who has a seventh-grader at the school and another daughter hoping to attend next year.

“My other daughter wants to go here, too. If they’re doing away with auditions … I’m going to have to talk to someone. What’s next? Are they changing the process at the arts high schools, too?”

Until now, New Voices — the only performing arts middle school in the Park Slope-to-Sunset Park district — has selected students through auditions and interviews.

But entry will now be based on a lottery — and half the seats will be reserved for low-income, homeless and English-language-learning applicants.

That was news to many parents who spoke to The Post outside the school Friday morning — and several teachers also said they had no idea.

“They should be holding auditions, no question. Some of the kids, that’s the only reason that they get accepted,” said Andrea James, 49, a Brownsville resident whose daughter attends New Voices and said the school was “a huge leap” for her family.

The Department of Education says standards like auditions — or test scores and grades at other schools — block access for underprivileged kids, and the new policy will diversify student bodies across the district.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/21/diversity-plan-mayhem-arts-school-cant-audition-applicants-anymore/

That is right folks. We don't need the best. The diversity is far more important than actual qualified applicants.

The liberal invasion of our minds continues.

Last edited:
NEW YORK POST:
Parents and even teachers at a Brooklyn performing arts school were shocked to learn Friday that the school can no longer audition prospective students under the district’s new diversity plan.

Families at the New Voices School of Academic and Creative Arts in Sunset Park were blindsided by the news a day after Mayor Bill de Blasio approved a scheme to scrap admissions standards at all middle schools in District 15.

“I had no idea this was happening. I’m going to have to go to a meeting, call someone,” said longtime district resident Eddie Rosario, 57, who has a seventh-grader at the school and another daughter hoping to attend next year.

“My other daughter wants to go here, too. If they’re doing away with auditions … I’m going to have to talk to someone. What’s next? Are they changing the process at the arts high schools, too?”

Until now, New Voices — the only performing arts middle school in the Park Slope-to-Sunset Park district — has selected students through auditions and interviews.

But entry will now be based on a lottery — and half the seats will be reserved for low-income, homeless and English-language-learning applicants.

That was news to many parents who spoke to The Post outside the school Friday morning — and several teachers also said they had no idea.

“They should be holding auditions, no question. Some of the kids, that’s the only reason that they get accepted,” said Andrea James, 49, a Brownsville resident whose daughter attends New Voices and said the school was “a huge leap” for her family.

The Department of Education says standards like auditions — or test scores and grades at other schools — block access for underprivileged kids, and the new policy will diversify student bodies across the district.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/21/diversity-plan-mayhem-arts-school-cant-audition-applicants-anymore/

That is right folks. We don't need the best. The diversity is far more important than actual qualified applicants.

The liberal invasion of the our minds continues.
/----/ The future graduates of BPAs - graduating with honors of course

Understandable. The left doesn't want anything based on ability. They only care about race. Remember you can't make everyone equal by raising the bottom up, only pulling the top down.

Forum List

Back