Diversity makes the US stronger ????????

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dilloduck, Sep 8, 2005.

1. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I keep hearing this repeated over and over ad nauseum but I sure would like an example of how multi-culturalism or diversity is doing anything but making Katrina a WORSE disaster than it already was.I don't see any evidence of diversity showing it's value in the form of strength anywhere. Apparently "diversity" is a double edged sword ??

2. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    What kind of diversity are you complaining about? I don't get it. Do you mean that there are both black and white people there? What's your point exactly?

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    My point is that people are not gathering together as people to solve this problem--they are lining up--black vs white----liberals vs conservatives--poor vs rich. The big defense for having a million cultures "accepted" by America is that it makes us stronger. I guess I'm challenging someone to take the Katrina example and show me exactly where this strength is. I ain't seeing it.

4. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    For one thing it's the South. For another thing NO is a particularly nasty place even by southern standards.

New York City is one of the most diverse places in the world and much more multi-cultural than Louisiana. We dealt with both 9/11 and the blackout very well and the multi-cultural makeup of the city didn't get in the way.

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    In other words----No, there is no evidence here of diversity helping anything one damn bit and a lot of evidence that it's actually making the problem harder.

6. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    You mentioned blacks and whites. Are you saying they shouldn't live in the same town/region? If they are separated it will be easier to deal with a crisis?

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    No, I'm not. Races tend to choose to live with others of their own race which is thier right and just plain makes sense. IF we DID have a single race society, there would be no other race to blame and people wouldn't have that excuse to avoid doing the work and taking resposibilty for fixing it.

8. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Sorry but I disagree. I used to live in Italy and I've spent considerable amounts of time in Asia. These are societies that look homogenous, nevertheless they have all kinds of strata and they also blame their problems on "the other". In Italy it's a north/south thing and in Asia it's caste or religion. Also relative darkness of skin. It is human nature to form groups and probably human nature to blame other people. It's a lot easier when it's a totally different race, but when it's not there are other signifiers.

I agree that race is not helping things in this disaster, but I don't think that simply having two races involved constitutes "multiculturalism".

9. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Untrue, absolutely untrue. There are plenty, thousands of documented cases in N.O. of Whites helping Blacks and vice versa, you must be blind not to have seen that.

What you should be talking about and i'm going out on a limb here as my stance against racism in any form is well documented here........my thinking on one race related subject has changed in the last week or so....why do Blacks react the way they do to adversity? I mean if N.O. were reversed and it was 75% White would we have had helicopter shootings, looting for things other than neccessary to sustain life and now today the blatant arson fires?

Anyway please explain how diversity is making it harder in N.O., I mean after 75 years of Democratic rule it was pretty segregated as is, don't ya think?

10. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223

Sorry this is America Mr. Duke, we are a melting pot and always have been and its what makes this country great but no doubt you'll argue that with some trumped up excuses, you need to go somewhere else where this mythical white race exists solely. I mean lets remember, caucasian is not a race its a skin color, now Italian for example is a race. You see simple, isn't it?