Diver's capture of a beloved giant Pacific octopus sparks outrage

its just wasteful and not a good use of resource..he can buy proper sized octopus cheaply enough..and it supports a industry ..to go kill large friendly octopus that can be a big economic draw for a local dive spot and also generate a lot of enjoyment for many is a terrible and selfish waste

its just wasteful and not a good use of resource..he can buy proper sized octopus cheaply enough..and it supports a industry ..to go kill large friendly octopus that can be a big economic draw for a local dive spot and also generate a lot of enjoyment for many is a terrible and selfish waste

The diver was an opportunist. No more than that...

Monday, November 5, 2012 9:59am PST
By: Pete Thomas, GrindTV.com
For scuba divers off Seattle's Cove 2, one of the coolest sightings is that of a giant Pacific octopus, an intelligent and mysterious creature that is a master of disguise and, thus, typically elusive.

And apparently, one of the most uncool acts is to capture and kill one of these remarkable creatures, especially while other divers are present.

That's what Dylan Miller, 19, did during a recent dive, and the episode went viral. Critics surfaced on dive sites, blogs and social media platforms, hammering Miller even though he had a fishing license and did not violate any laws.

He said he killed the 80-pound octopus to draw it for an art project, and for its meat. But he has since received threats and, like an octopus, is trying to keep a low profile.

"They value the life of an octopus and they are threatening a family," Denise Mayer, Dylan's mom, told the Seattle Times. "They put his life below that of an octopus. It's gone way overboard."

407467.jpg

Samson, just don't go do anything crazy now.

As I understand it, it is legal to hunt Octopus. Some people just have their priorities wrong.

you do not hunt 80 lb octopus..they hide in the rocks where you could never get them and only come out for food..it was essentialy a tame octopus he simply picked it up because the creature allowed it and then swan to the surface with him

I tend to think in terms of "what if a highly intelligent race of aliens decided that human beings were tasty?" How would you feel if they cut up your grandma to feed their homeless?

And as for that poor baby octopus being boiled alive at the table... that's just barbaric. Even if octopi weren't intelligent, what could possibly be appetizing about watching another creature suffer before you eat them?

-- Paravani

Are you a PETA supporter?

I had to look up "PETA" -- 'cause the only thing I could remember about their acronym was the old joke, "People Eating Tasty Animals"! :lol:

I have no problem eating dumb animals like cows, chickens, turkeys, and fish.

I don't eat intelligent beings of any species. It's too much like cannibalism to my way of thinking. Intelligence of any kind is a resource, and there will come a day when technology will allow us to communicate with other intelligent species. When that day comes, I hope that there are still other intelligent species left with whom to communicate, because I'd like to hear what they have to say.

However, I'm one of those people who gets bored with the same-ol'-same-ol' very easily. I enjoy exotic foods, foreign languages, eccentric people, international travel, and studying different religions.

People who are only comfortable with what's familiar tend not to like me or understand my point of view.

-- Paravani

Last edited:
This is sad news :(

The diver should have been killed instead of the octopus, for a change!

Why people have to kill every living creature on this sad planet? Too sad.

I feel that way about bullfights. I root for the bull every single time.

Now that IS cruel. First two men come out on horses with big long lances that they stab the bull with, then after it's bled some, two more men come out with big darts that they jam into the bulls sides. Then, when the bull is weak, finally the matador, the guy who gets the credit and fame for everything, comes out and stabs the bull to death. The only good thing about the bull fight I saw was that fact that the meat goes to the nearby orphanage. Oh, and that bull wasn't as weak as they thought, the matador jumped the fence to hide from the bull and the bull jumped it right after him, you should have seen how fast all those men jumped over that fence and into the bullfighting ring. Sometimes, they allow the bull to go free, if they feel it was very brave, imo they should have let that bull go, but I think it made fools of them so there was no way they were going to let it live.

Ok.

What if the guy stated he was cutting up the Octopus for meat for the homeless. would you feel different?

I don't know... I tend to think in terms of "what if a highly intelligent race of aliens decided that human beings were tasty?" How would you feel if they cut up your grandma to feed their homeless?

And as for that poor baby octopus being boiled alive at the table... that's just barbaric. Even if octopi weren't intelligent, what could possibly be appetizing about watching another creature suffer before you eat them?

-- Paravani

I love crab legs, but crabs are boiled alive, I could never watch it, doesn't mean I don't enjoy eating them though.

I tend to think in terms of "what if a highly intelligent race of aliens decided that human beings were tasty?" How would you feel if they cut up your grandma to feed their homeless?

-- Paravani

I had to look up "PETA" -- 'cause the only thing I could remember about their acronym was the old joke, "People Eating Tasty Animals"! :lol:

I don't eat intelligent beings of any species. It's too much like cannibalism to my way of thinking. Intelligence of any kind is a resource, and there will come a day when technology will allow us to communicate with other intelligent species.

When that day comes, I hope that there are still other intelligent species left with whom to communicate, because I'd like to hear what they have to say.

On the other hand, I'm one of those people who gets bored with the same-ol'-same-ol' very easily. I enjoy exotic foods, foreign languages, eccentric people, international travel, and studying different religions.

People who are only comfortable with what's familiar tend not to like me.

-- Paravani

lol @ the peta thing. I have never heard that before.

Okay, I can go with that. This is the first post in the Octopus' favor with which I can agree.

-- Paravani

I don't eat intelligent beings of any species. It's too much like cannibalism to my way of thinking. Intelligence of any kind is a resource, and there will come a day when technology will allow us to communicate with other intelligent species. When that day comes, I hope that there are still other intelligent species left with whom to communicate, because I'd like to hear what they have to say.

However, I'm one of those people who gets bored with the same-ol'-same-ol' very easily. I enjoy exotic foods, foreign languages, eccentric people, international travel, and studying different religions.

People who are only comfortable with what's familiar tend not to like me or understand my point of view.

-- Paravani

Have you spent any time with cows? My Uncle bought a couple of calves to raise and slaughter. Betty and Barney. They ended up not being able to eat either of them. My Uncle was out in that pasture playing tag with Barney. Now do you think that's not an intelligent animal? Define "intelligent"?

As I understand it, it is legal to hunt Octopus. Some people just have their priorities wrong.

you do not hunt 80 lb octopus..they hide in the rocks where you could never get them and only come out for food..it was essentialy a tame octopus he simply picked it up because the creature allowed it and then swan to the surface with him

Oh, that's just sad. I've never been diving, so I didn't realize that the octopi around here were so familiar with people.

Oh, what a terrible shame. No wonder the diving community is so angry with this teenage boob.

-- Paravani

If this diver was actually an artist he may have done this..... .Diver and underwater videographer Laurynn Evans documented the poignant saga of a female octopus guarding her eggs for months in a den in Puget Sound off West Seattle.

This is so beautiful!!!!

2015427564.jpg

Local diver captures octopus birth on video

Last edited by a moderator:

Have you spent any time with cows? My Uncle bought a couple of calves to raise and slaughter. Betty and Barney. They ended up not being able to eat either of them. My Uncle was out in that pasture playing tag with Barney. Now do you think that's not an intelligent animal? Define "intelligent"?

I'm sure that your uncle is very intelligent! :lol:

Seriously, though... cows have been raised for milk and meat for thousands of years, and if people were to stop eating them, the first consequence would be that they would become nearly extinct.

And no, I wouldn't classify cows as "intelligent". They can't find their way out of brambles that they've walked into! The farmer has to lead them out because they don't have the sense to back up.

-- Paravani

Last edited:
Ok.

What if the guy stated he was cutting up the Octopus for meat for the homeless. would you feel different?

I don't know... I tend to think in terms of "what if a highly intelligent race of aliens decided that human beings were tasty?" How would you feel if they cut up your grandma to feed their homeless?

^this actually happend. not the cut up grandma part, but the rest.

-- Paravani

Do you eat Chicken? Gyros? Steaks? Hot dogs? Fish Tacos?

Same thing. No difference.

I'm sure that your uncle is very intelligent! :lol:

Seriously, though... cows have been raised for milk and meat for thousands of years, and if people were to stop eating them, the first consequence would be that they would become nearly extinct.

And no, I wouldn't classify cows as "intelligent". They can't find their way out of brambles that they've walked into! The farmer has to lead them out because they don't have the sense to back up.

-- Paravani

Barney could..he was one smart bull.

Forum List

Back