Diver's capture of a beloved giant Pacific octopus sparks outrage

Intense

Aug 2, 2009
Monday, November 5, 2012 9:59am PST
By: Pete Thomas, GrindTV.com
For scuba divers off Seattle's Cove 2, one of the coolest sightings is that of a giant Pacific octopus, an intelligent and mysterious creature that is a master of disguise and, thus, typically elusive.

And apparently, one of the most uncool acts is to capture and kill one of these remarkable creatures, especially while other divers are present.

That's what Dylan Miller, 19, did during a recent dive, and the episode went viral. Critics surfaced on dive sites, blogs and social media platforms, hammering Miller even though he had a fishing license and did not violate any laws.

He said he killed the 80-pound octopus to draw it for an art project, and for its meat. But he has since received threats and, like an octopus, is trying to keep a low profile.

"They value the life of an octopus and they are threatening a family," Denise Mayer, Dylan's mom, told the Seattle Times. "They put his life below that of an octopus. It's gone way overboard."

407467.jpg

Samson, just don't go do anything crazy now.

Giant Pacific Octopi are highly intelligent creatures who have performed very well solving extremely complex mazes in laboratory settings. (Search YouTube "octopus" for videos of their accomplishments.)

There are 7 Billion human beings on earth, and our numbers are still increasing; but octopi of all kinds are decreasing in numbers due to overfishing and "sport" killings like this one.

The point of expressing outrage isn't that anyone will harm this young man who killed the octopus; the point is to make sure that the diving community becomes very well aware that it is immoral to kill an intelligent being of any species without due cause.

We here in the Pacific Northwest also do not tolerate the casual killing of whales, dolphins, or sea lions.

-- Paravani

Last edited:
immoral to kill an intelligent being of any species without due cause

We are the dominate species. Tell that to tigers, lions and bears

Octopus meat is tough. you have cook it a while. the ink is the best for tattoos though. I hope he saves the ink glands and give them to a local tattoo artist.

Maybe Bear Grylls will hire him. A shame for the Octo though. Bobcats are a mystic sight around here. You hear them, see their sign but to get a glimpse...that's special. I often wonder in how many generations descriptions of rarer species will have to suffice in lieu of the experience of seeing or interacting with such an animal gone extinct.

This is sad news :(

The diver should have been killed instead of the octopus, for a change!

Why people have to kill every living creature on this sad planet? Too sad.

Giant Pacific Octopi are highly intelligent creatures who have performed very well solving extremely complex mazes in laboratory settings. (Search YouTube "octopus" for videos of their accomplishments.)

There are 7 Billion human beings on earth, and our numbers are still increasing; but octopi of all kinds are decreasing in numbers due to overfishing and "sport" killings like this one.

The point of expressing outrage isn't that anyone will harm this young man who killed the octopus; the point is to make sure that the diving community becomes very well aware that it is immoral to kill an intelligent being of any species without due cause.

We here in the Pacific Northwest also do not tolerate the casual killing of whales, dolphins, or sea lions.

-- Paravani

very true, I have been both a dive instructor and commercial diver and this is like going and killing someones dog

GOD created some animals to be strictly food for other animals like Gazelle for Lions, etc...

As someone whose eaten Squid(Calamari), which is in the Octopus family, I don't like it. has no taste to it at all. I just hope he eats it all and not let it go to waste. bums are hungry in America.

GOD created some animals to be strictly food for other animals like Gazelle for Lions, etc...

As someone whose eaten Squid(Calamari), which is in the Octopus family, I don't like it. has no taste to it at all. I just hope he eats it all and not let it go to waste. bums are hungry in America.

I have had octopus and squid. Love both

I have had octopus and squid. Love both

they prepared yours well then. have to cook it just right to get em tender.

He is not going to eat it an 80 octopus they are no good for food at that size way to tough its hard to sell octopus that size even as crab or fish bait its so tough and if the buy them at that size for bait its for very little money

He is not going to eat it an 80 octopus they are no good for food at that size way to tough its hard to sell octopus that size even as crab or fish bait its so tough and if the buy them at that size for bait its for very little money

Then I would taxidermy that thing and hang it on my wall. just eat half of one tentacle..lol

The diver should have been killed instead of the octopus...

Ah the tolerant Left. Save the octopus, fuck the humans.

First ,I am not left.

Second, I don't believe that all animals were thrown into this earth solely to be killed they love life as much as you and I.

- " The giant Pacific octopus is the world's largest octopus. The largest known specimen measured 30 feet across. They're are known for their ability to change colors and blend with their surroundings, and for their intelligence. Captive specimens have learned to open jars and solve puzzles." -

Why kill that beautiful creature just for the pleasure of killing? I find it cruel and senseless!

The diver should have been killed instead of the octopus...

Ah the tolerant Left. Save the octopus, fuck the humans.

First ,I am not left.

Second, I don't believe that all animals were thrown into this earth solely to be killed they love life as much as you and I.

- " The giant Pacific octopus is the world's largest octopus. The largest known specimen measured 30 feet across. They're are known for their ability to change colors and blend with their surroundings, and for their intelligence. Captive specimens have learned to open jars and solve puzzles." -

Why kill that beautiful creature just for the pleasure of killing? I find it cruel and senseless!

I see that and I ask you this....what about when the Sperm whale(#1 predator of Octopus/Squid) rolls up and grabs it and eats it while the guy is filming it.

Is that Sperm whale cruel and unusual for trying to eat and survive?

Forum List

Back