Ditch The Cable?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
My BFF #2 says I can get netflix instantly on my tv if I have an xbox. I knew a Wii would work -- will an xbox as well? Does it have to be any special version?

I want to dump the internet and cable and buy a wifi card and a connection between the pc and the tv -- just the one upstairs. Can I do this? Can I use Hulu or whatnot to watch television shows if I do? How do I get local news....is that also streamed?

The pc is new -- just bought it in May -- but the tv is old. I dun want to spend a whole lot on any of this -- how can I buy a wifi card that'll work without spending too much? What would be a reasonable price?

I'm very excited to think I won't be making a car-payment-sized payment to ATT every month any longer if I can pull this off. After all, that cash could buy plenty of funner stuff. Am I being realistic or is this still pie in the sky stuff?

Thankies for your comments, guys.

Last edited:
To get your wifi you will still need a carrier. The xbox and wii connect into that.

Careful with the air cards, depending where you are they are not as fast as DSL.

Get dish and dump cable. Check the prices.

• Banned
To get your wifi you will still need a carrier. The xbox and wii connect into that.

Careful with the air cards, depending where you are they are not as fast as DSL.

I had Dish, syrenn. They do a bait and switch, at least here. The intro price is low and lasts only a few months -- then skyrockets. ATT does not do that.

Besides, satelitte was a pain in the ass -- I had to reboot daily.

Now, what do you mean I need a carrier for wifi? I thought the whole point of wifi was, you get the 'net that is floating in the ether for free?

Last edited:

I had Dish, syrenn. They do a bait and switch, at least here. The intro price is low and lasts only a few months -- then skyrockets. ATT does not do that.

Now, what do you mean I need a carrier for wifi? I thought the whole point of wifi was, you get the 'net that is floating in the ether for free?

Yes and the "free" wifi is only as good as the signal..and if its free, say at like a coffee shop. The coffee shop is paying for it as a service to its customers. You can try and "steal" wifi from someone close to you who doesn't have their router locked, but you cant count on that. Its all about proximity and access.

We have wifi. Its a hard wire line with a provider, and a router that supports wifi that we code into.

Nothing in life is ever free

• Banned

Yes and the "free" wifi is only as good as the signal..and if its free, say at like a coffee shop. The coffee shop is paying for it as a service to its customers. You can try and "steal" wifi from someone close to you who doesn't have their router locked, but you cant count on that. Its all about proximity and access.

We have wifi. Its a hard wire line with a provider, and a router that supports wifi that we code into.

Well, that sux. I guess I'll have to keep buying internet, eh? Even so, cable tv is the biggest portion of my bill by far; if I can get rid of that I am still happy.

Well, that sux. I guess I'll have to keep buying internet, eh? Even so, cable tv is the biggest portion of my bill by far; if I can get rid of that I am still happy.
Maddy, look into verizon FiOS service
it has tv and internet as well as phone and its all delivered on a fiber optics network

• Banned

Maddy, look into verizon FiOS service
it has tv and internet as well as phone and its all delivered on a fiber optics network

Why thankies, Divey! That is most helpful.

BTW, what's the story on that green truck company? Woo? WOW? Yanno which one I mean? Should I price them as well?

FastAccess DSL Direct 3.0M

AT&T DSL Direct - High-speed Internet with no phone line

They've gone up since I signed up:

FastAccess DSL Direct 3.0M
$19.95 per month
Only $19.95 per month for a full 12 months. Save $23 per month off the regular $42.95 per month price!
3 Mbps/384 Kbps
Maximum
Downstream/Upstream
No term commitment.

Me too. I love it. It's free ATM but when they do begin charging me, it's supposed to be about $20.

I've had almost every service that's available here; ATT is far superior IMO. I detested Roadrunner.

At least you got options. Where I'm at, in the boonies, I have to get satellite iinternet at $73 a month for the basic package. That just internet! From Hughes net. AT&T only has hard line phone service here and no DSL (old phone lines) but I heard Verizon might be getting wireless out here and from what I hear Verizon is better than AT&T.

Last edited:
At least you got options. Where I'm at, in the boonies, I have to get satellite iinternet at $73 a month for the basic package. That just internet! From Hughes net. AT&T only has hard line phone service here and no DSL (old phone lines) but I heard Verizon might be getting wireless out here and from what I hear Verizon is better than AT&T.

Not to mention how they choke you down for 24 hours if you watch any video.

By the way Maddie, you can get Netflix and send it to your TV through your computer, or get one of the new internet TVs. You do not need a Wii or an XBox to watch it.

Verizon Fios is absolutely great with the "all the bells and whistles" introductory package for (usually) the first year. Then when that year is up and you're used to the high end package the now want to charge you for it, and I mean a lot! Almost double what you were paying so you say no and drop down to the basic package paying the same rate you were the previous year for the high end package.
When our contract is up we'll be going back to cable.

Ya, you guys are getting hosed, zzzz. Wanna trade houses? I like country life.

By the way Maddie, you can get Netflix and send it to your TV through your computer, or get one of the new internet TVs. You do not need a Wii or an XBox to watch it.

Can I hook the pc to the tv and watch it in the bedroom? (PC is new, tv is old.)

Thankies, Quantum Windbag.

Can I hook the pc to the tv and watch it in the bedroom? (PC is new, tv is old.)

Thankies, Quantum Windbag.

Depending on the output on the pc, and the input on the tv, yes.

Most TV's (even old tube ones) have rca inputs on them. Your pc might not have the right kind of video output though.

Forum List

Back